Name:	9968AF73-9D2E-40D1-821B-63D44BB7E842.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1345468Click image for larger version

Name:	D9B8134C-0E1C-4DC1-BF1A-19C4643905CD.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1345469

Long story on this frame. Trying to identify the manufacturer. I do know it’s a stock rake with no stretch. The tab for the Softail brake was added. It did have tabs for the old fatbob tanks but jinky Softail mounts were added. The square bar in the rear inbetween the axle and seat was also added for passenger pegs. I’m not sure what the tab on the lower part of the left axle plate was for. The drum breaks had the tab in front of the axle plate so maybe someone can tell me what that tab was for. I’ve got a 96 five speed going in it with the proper trans plate, the old 72 shovel and a Primo 3” belt drive. I’ve got a bonded title but tracking down an original mso from whoever made this thing would sure help. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Baddawg
    • Apr 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	74D1B6ED-BED2-413B-AA07-1E598752CAC2.jpg
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1312350Click image for larger version

Name:	A2ABBD66-A56F-46B7-B277-B93212581C47.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1312351

Comment

• ncmc47
      • Oct 2012

My guess would be Paughco.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
        • Apr 2010

On the right side, under the brake mount should be some numbers. Looks to be Paugcho..

Comment

• Baddawg
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
          On the right side, under the brake mount should be some numbers. Looks to be Paugcho..
          I did call Paughco today. The detail I did leave out is it does have an 8 diget number on the neck. Paughco says they have used the 17 digit number required by the feds since 81. Nobody at Paughco could confirm it being their frame but said if it was it was pre 1981 and no way to track down or issue MSO. I have a bonded title but pretty sure I’m purchasing a new frame. Just not willing to take the risk.

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

You should be fine with the bond title, if the frame numbers match the title.

Jim

Comment

• Baddawg
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by JBinNC
              You should be fine with the bond title, if the frame numbers match the title.

Jim
              Jim I’m learning to despise this animal called “government”. My local bike shop got this frame with a bunch of other parts. The guy he got it from gave him a bonded title that he got back in 2012. I had to go get another bonded title in my name. After getting the bonded title myself, I found out the previous owner actually went through the inspection process. He then sent the inspection and bonded title off to have an actual title. At this point the state rejected his application because it didn’t have a 17 diget vin number on the frame. It has an 8 diget number on the neck. All would have been fine, but they listed it as an “2005 custom Harley Davidson”. Any frame after 1981 the state says must have 17 diget vin and that was the reason the application was rejected. Now trying to convince the state that it’s actually a pre-1981 frame is nearly impossible. I believe what happened was originally the frame was built from a Harley with a title, and the frame itself was never titled. The original owner then parted it out, so there was no mso, nor a title for the frame until the last guy tried to title it in 2012. Long story....complicated....and the state now tells me I’m screwed, I can hang it up. The last guy listed it in 2012 as a 2005 Ultima on his application, now that 8 diget vin is on file as a 2005 frame. No way now to convince them it’s pre-1981. I was told I could get it reinspected with MY title bond and hope for the best and they “may” overlook the old paper trail. The shop I bought it from I’ve been doing business with 30 years so they’re going to just get me another frame and probably buy a titled raggamuffin bike to use the frame on. Hell its only money right?

Comment

• laeljon
                • Dec 2016

Looks like my Paughco...my juice brake backing plate bolts to lower hole...

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

All the title hassles exist because dickheads steal bikes. Before then it was effortless for assholes to disappear and recycle scooters.

I'd just buy a titled (fuck special construction, the cash difference is chump change) frame. Last untitled frame I got turned into a nice engine caddy/maintenance (or if you add an oil tank etc, run) stand combo. I should have done one of these years ago:

Yet another engine/drivetrain stand because manual labor sucks. You could do this with any frame you don't care about, not just solid mount Harleys. Stand was ~ 40 bucks, other metal was scrap. It took a lot less effort to make than wrestling an engine once. Chasing engines around the bench means getting them there in the first

probably buy a titled raggamuffin bike to use the frame on.
                  That's like buying a pickup truck to use up a spare tailgate, and title passes with frame on anything you'd buy so your result would not be road legal. It's a frame. It isn't valuable. Avoid acting as if it were because your wallet will be happier!
                  Last edited by farmall; 08-02-2019, 8:41 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

^^^^^^ Very sound advice......^^^^^^

Comment

• Baddawg
                      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by farmall
                      All the title hassles exist because dickheads steal bikes. Before then it was effortless for assholes to disappear and recycle scooters.

I'd just buy a titled (fuck special construction, the cash difference is chump change) frame. Last untitled frame I got turned into a nice engine caddy/maintenance (or if you add an oil tank etc, run) stand combo. I should have done one of these years ago:

Yet another engine/drivetrain stand because manual labor sucks. You could do this with any frame you don't care about, not just solid mount Harleys. Stand was ~ 40 bucks, other metal was scrap. It took a lot less effort to make than wrestling an engine once. Chasing engines around the bench means getting them there in the first

That's like buying a pickup truck to use up a spare tailgate, and title passes with frame on anything you'd buy so your result would not be road legal. It's a frame. It isn't valuable. Avoid acting as if it were because your wallet will be happier!
                      Well said. New frame is in route. With MSO.

Comment

• Phail
                        • Dec 2011

I did Special Construction with mine a few years back. It was simple and easy to do here in Nevada.

Just showed all my receipts for the build, paid the taxes, they gave me a spanking new title.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                          • Apr 2012

Some one in another state could probably get it titled and registered, Although more and more places are connecting and might pop up if you tried to do so in another state. I sold a non matching numbers British chopper to a guy and when he went to title it, Someone had already used the engine numbers in another state that matched his frame, And we fixed it, but they seemed confused why the engine was in one state and the frame in another, but people part stuff out all the time. The other issue was it had a 3 digit VIN number on the factory engine I sold to him (1963) and totally legit, But the morons at the DMV were ignorant and never heard of such a small digit VIN.

(I have multiple BSAs with 3 digits and I have a prewar Plymouth coupe with a 4 digit and the vin is stamped on a cow tag at the factory) So, I have explained this to multiple DMV staff that the solution to the 17 digit vin is add Zeros to fill in the blanks. I even made a tutorial on vintage vehicle VINs and how to spot legit ones and where they are stamped, which fonts and styles along with supporting documentation from well known sources.

The day that arrives when DMVs and govt agencies stop hiring on quotas and nepotism/good buddys and actually hire based on experience and knowledge is the day I will keel over dead of shock & surprise.

On the other hand,, I HAVE bought 2 frames in the last few years as "ART BIKES" and I have a lot of junk parts, cracked cases, scrap heads and such,, It occured to me at some events that attract the hipsters and Instagram addicts that SOME people really dont like to ride, they just want to look cool and project an image.

Secondly, I have been approached by some people who want to decorate their bars, office or hipster clothing stores with cool accys. We have a bar in Portland called "Kellys Olympian" and they have an Indian chief in the front window and a variety of cool bikes hanging from the ceiling. Worth checking out and they support biker events. Used to be another and knew the owner.. "Good Time Charlie" who had a bar in North Portland and hung Triumph parts from the ceiling.

So, the 2 frames I got are so butchered and suspect they should never be on the road again, So I am adding scrap parts to each pile and building 2 over the top choppers out of them, Might put them in some shows but they will never run, But perhaps might sell them to some aspiring hipster clothing shop, coffee shop or Artisanal hand crafted knot shop as seen on Portlandia. I have not picked paint yet, But HOK Kandy and lots of metal flake will surely be involved.

Was on our vintage club ride this last weekend and we were at the summit of a mountain road taking a break, 2 millennial hipsters dressed out in Instagram BoHo style showed up in a vintage Volvo, Most of the old farts looked at them like they arrived from Mars or Pluto, but I made jokes about them showing up to update their 'Gram feed but most of these guys had no idea what I was talking about. But they made a beeline for Vahans 1936 Indian and did some selfies. Then went and hiked to the viewpoint (Who goes hiking in vintage cowboy boots?) But the point is, Old junk parts CAN be repurposed into something cool and even if its a cool mount for your mailbox and sit a skeleton on it for the holidays to cheer the mail lady.

**Embarrassing disclosure, Years back I took a bunch of vintage helmets that came in a shop inventory and put them on fence posts along my farms driveway to my shop. The wife took some and made flower planters as well. I also had old Bates "Pleather" Jackets and pants and we cut them up for seat upholstery. I threw away some old Bates seats too in the 1990s, I couldnt imagine anyone wanting them. Its shocking what people pay for this stuff these days.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                            • Sep 2014

Just blow the numbers off the frame completely and put a titled 69 on down Motor in the thing or sell it to someone in a state like NY who can register it that way with their old motor. It ain't stolen and it can't be registered any other way so who cares.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;