Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottiemcdoogle
    • Aug 2018

Good donor bike for flyrite frame

Hey guys. I’ve been doing some research on a good donor bike for the type of build I’m going for, so I just wanted to see what y’all think and have it posted for anyone else going the same route.

I want to do something similar to “The Gent” bike that was built for the movie Hell Ride, except with a big twin evo powerplant. From what I’ve gathered I’m leaning towards a late 90s softail custom. Just as far as how many parts I’ll be able to transfer over and keep the fabricating to a minimum. I’m going for a reliable chopper that’ll start every time I need it to. Thanks y’all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9430BB55-B789-4B65-A1C0-A1AFF1ACDDFF.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1345459
  • misfitJason
    • Sep 2009

that was certainly a cool bike. A rigid is a similar style to a factory evo softail and depending on the actual frame you buy, you will be able to transfer over a lot of the parts. If you google the gent bike, I believe flyrite at one time did a magazine article write up with the specs (or it was the bikes of hell ride)

Comment

• scottiemcdoogle
      • Aug 2018

Originally posted by misfitJason
      that was certainly a cool bike. A rigid is a similar style to a factory evo softail and depending on the actual frame you buy, you will be able to transfer over a lot of the parts. If you google the gent bike, I believe flyrite at one time did a magazine article write up with the specs (or it was the bikes of hell ride)
      I figured the best way to get the geometry right would be to use the same frame they did. I love that steep rake.

Comment

• Sugarcubes
        • Apr 2024

just my 2c but 90s softail frames are actually quite pretty once you strip them right down and cut off the fender arms. The lines and rake are very close to the old rigid big twin dimensions and a lot of guys seem to have switched on to this recently to create a bike that looks old school but is very useable and requires minimum work to build. However if rigid is the way you want to go, Jason builds high quality frames.

You will need to fab (or ask Jason to do it when you buy the frame) things like fender mounts, bungs / tabs for a seat, maybe oil tank mounts, gas tank bungs etc but you should be able to move your motor / transmission / primary etc into it no problem.

Comment

• scottiemcdoogle
          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Sugarcubes
          just my 2c but 90s softail frames are actually quite pretty once you strip them right down and cut off the fender arms. The lines and rake are very close to the old rigid big twin dimensions and a lot of guys seem to have switched on to this recently to create a bike that looks old school but is very useable and requires minimum work to build. However if rigid is the way you want to go, Jason builds high quality frames.

You will need to fab (or ask Jason to do it when you buy the frame) things like fender mounts, bungs / tabs for a seat, maybe oil tank mounts, gas tank bungs etc but you should be able to move your motor / transmission / primary etc into it no problem.
          Yeah small stuff like mounting tabs etc I have no problem doing. I just did a hard tail kit on an 81 ironhead and wanted to try a fully built frame this time around. That bike really bit me in the ass. The only thing I ended up using was the motor and back wheel, and now the motor needs rebuilt lol

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Late 90s would be the way to go for the transmission, starter, CV carb etc.

Since you'd be stripping the Softy anyway you could see if the frame would suit if hardtailed, which lets you keep the VIN. If your builder will use the titled Softail neck you'd get the best of both worlds.

That bike really bit me in the ass.
            It was an Ironhead. They have quite the appetite for ass. If they didn't have the Harley name they'd be as orphaned as a Sears Allstate. You can always mod it for the completely superior Evo Sporty engine but upgrading to an Evo big twin would be my preference by far. IHs are cool third or fourth bikes, like old British machines.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;