Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • armand
    • Jan 2012

52 panhead finally starting

Sooo, I have not posted in a bit. I stepped away from the bike then came back and started over : new points plugs condenser, wires, I retimed I reinstalled carb and pressure tested pressure tested. I had been reading that they often have their own personal starting procedure, so I experimented with different combinations of primer kicks, squirts etc and I found the magic combination. It now starts regularly on the first official kick. I even took it for a quick ride, very fast and smooth! I suspect a combination of 65 years of fuckery (i think farmall made that word up) , neglect and my unfamiliarity.
    Now fine tuning it and will give it back to the owner.
    However, It won’t restart regularly when warm. I suspect there is supposed to be a phenolic block/gasket thing betwixt the manifold and carb. What do you guys think? I called s and s they “thought” I need it. When it cools off around here ( don’t feel like kicking today) I will start the bike to see how much heat is getting to the carb.
    If I get a phenolic block, where does it go in? Between the spacer and manifold or between the spacer and carb? Or do I need it?
    As far as the low compression numbers, I’ll have to borrow the tester again.
    Thanks guys!
  • xJPx
    • May 2012

yes, you'd need a carb insulating block.
    it goes between the carb and the manifold.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

Every bike has its own ritual, for my 56 I cannot touch the throttle once it is even a little warmed up. Just retard the timing and give her a kick.

And yes I have the insulating block

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Just wanted to say.... An insulation block isn't a fix all do all...... Timing and float level is crucial....

My Pan starts first time all the time and I don't have a block at all.......

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

If it's much above stock I pitch the phenolic spacers and make one out of plywood.
          Dusty
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• armand
            • Jan 2012

As I said, I can get it to start cold on the first kick after the ritual. I am having trouble restarting it when it’s warm. To restart it, I have to kick it over 9 times with the throttle open. Then it will start.
            So how do you seal a phenolic spacer? I assume tha I take the oring off the carb, right?
            As far as timing , I think it’s right. I will check the float level. Thanks

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by armand
              To restart it, I have to kick it over 9 times with the throttle open. Then it will start.
              What you need to do is find out why it's flooding????? I bet your float level is to high.........

An insulator block won't help you I'll bet.........

Comment

• armand
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Tattooo
                What you need to do is find out why it's flooding????? I bet your float level is to high.........

An insulator block won't help you I'll bet.........
                Tattooo, I rechecked the float level and is was fine per s and s specs. When attempting to restart, I was giving it throttle. I stopped throttling it and it starts warm now!!! All part of the personality of the bike.....
                I told the owner that it is ready . Again, thanks for all youse guys help with this.
                On to a new project....

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by armand
                  Tattooo, I was giving it throttle. I stopped throttling it and it starts warm now!!!
                  My first question was, I asked you to figure out what was flooding it?????? Thanks for telling us......

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;