CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Piecing Together A Chain Conversion

Hey fellas. I'm looking to convert from belt to chain on a 2000 Sportster. I know the kits are out there, but your paying for the convenience, I want to pick my chain, and It seems like I could do it with two PBI sprockets for a bit less money. I'd just like to run it past you guys before I go ahead and order. I really hope to get it right the first time, shipping to Canada is a killer, 50 Yankee dollars.

Looks to me like I can order one of these rears with the 2.214 center hole.
    https://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/pr...6&categoryId=8

I'm hung up on the front sprocket. PBI lists this one as 288- 5-speed 1.060 in. offset, wide spline. Fititing 1986-2006 HD motorcycles.
    https://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/pr...1&categoryId=9

But they also have this one, for about $50 less.
    https://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/pr...c?productId=19
    Looks like you need to swap out the sprocket spacer. Doesn't seem like too big of a job, and it would be cheaper every time from here out. But the bike has definitely spent some time outdoors and I don't imagine the spacer / seal replacement going Youtube smooth.

Is there any big advantage or disadvantage to either of these choices?

Use the XL sprocket. You probably won't have to change the spacer, I believe that part of the instructions applies to fitting that sprocket to a big twin. But, you may have to add a spacer or shim to get the chain alignment correct.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Jim. Thanks for the reply. You've helped me a great deal on here, and I really appreciate the knowledgeable advise. Looking at the two again today, I noticed something I missed before. The XL sprocket (277) has three holes for the lock nut plate, but I'm quite sure my Sportster only has two, directly across from each other, like the 5-speed sprocket (288).

Road 6 is the outfit that offers a kit with the front PBI sprocket. They have a video up on Youtube showing the install, on a 1998 Sportster. Of course, they don't show the number on the sprocket. But it does have the two lock nut plate screw holes and they bolt it up without touching the shaft or seal behind.

The sprocket with 3 holes just uses a socket head cap screw against one of the nut flats for a lock. That along with some loctite is all that is really necessary. Proper torque for all these fine spline sprocket nuts is 50ft.lb. plus an additional 30 - 45 degrees. That amounts to 150 - 200ft.lb., roughly.
    I've done several chain conversions on both big twins and XLs, and I always use the XL sprocket I suggested for you. Inexpensive, and when you need a new sprocket, it's a stock part.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    The sprocket with 3 holes just uses a socket head cap screw against one of the nut flats for a lock. That along with some loctite is all that is really necessary. Proper torque for all these fine spline sprocket nuts is 50ft.lb. plus an additional 30 - 45 degrees. That amounts to 150 - 200ft.lb., roughly.
    I've done several chain conversions on both big twins and XLs, and I always use the XL sprocket I suggested for you. Inexpensive, and when you need a new sprocket, it's a stock part.

Jim
    Thanks for confirming that, Jim. Looks like that is the way I will go. Really appreciate the help.

Share This