CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Fxr shorted out??

Hey last night I was changing the oil on my 92 fxr and spun the oil filter off when I did the stainless steel braided line the clutch cable is in touched the voltage regulator and it threw a spark and smoked the braided line this all happened in the span of 1 second. I immediately moved the line but now the bike won’t start and when you turn the key every light on the thing comes on. Do you think it just fried the regulator or what’s up. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this bike before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimino289 View Post
    Hey last night I was changing the oil on my 92 fxr and spun the oil filter off when I did the stainless steel braided line the clutch cable is in touched the voltage regulator and it threw a spark and smoked the braided line this all happened in the span of 1 second. I immediately moved the line but now the bike won’t start and when you turn the key every light on the thing comes on. Do you think it just fried the regulator or what’s up. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this bike before hand.
    Whats your definition of won't start?
    Is it cranking when you push the start button?
    Did you check the fuses if not?
    Will it roll over with a jumper wire?

Or is it rolling over not firing?
    Did you check for spark off the coils?

Get Adobe Flash player

Originally it was not turning over. After messing with it all afternoon I was able to get it to turn over and then heard a sound like a breaker flipping and then after about a min the lights would come back on.

Get Adobe Flash player

It has spark, and it’ll turn over like 2 times and then everything goes black

Get Adobe Flash player

Originally it was not turning over. After messing with it all afternoon I was able to get it to turn over and then heard a sound like a breaker flipping and then after about a min the lights would come back on.
    It's tripping the breaker.... It sounds to me like you still have something shorted out.....

Get Adobe Flash player

It has spark, and it’ll turn over like 2 times and then everything goes black
    How is your battery??? Is it fully charged???

Get Adobe Flash player

Battery was fully charged I’ve taken it out searching for the short

Get Adobe Flash player

Battery was fully charged I’ve taken it out searching for the short
    You have one believe me......

Get Adobe Flash player

Attachment 95827
    Here’s a picture of where the regulator wire connects to the stator does it look like it got hot?
    Last edited by Cimino289; 07-21-2019 at 5:47 PM. Reason: Double posted pic

Get Adobe Flash player

I’m sure I have a short just haven’t located it. I’m unsure of what would just be shorting out

Get Adobe Flash player

Have you tried taking the regulator out of the circuit to check operation?

ETA: What I mean is, isolate the regulator and then see if it will turn over and crank.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have not

Get Adobe Flash player

I have not
    Just unplug it........

Get Adobe Flash player

At this point, you should probably put your battery on a charger for a bit to make sure it’s good and strong, and then try it.

Get Adobe Flash player

If the regulator fried the cable by the regulator case being grounded to it, the regulator case had to be hot (likely bad regulator) but if it were hot it should have shorted to ground through the regulator case instead of not shorting until an outside ground conductor (the cable) touched the case. Make sure your next regulator is grounded (via case through mounting bolts).

I'd disconnect the regulator both by unplugging the alternator and by disconnecting the power lead from the regulator to circuit breaker at the breaker so the battery voltage doesn't short through the regulator case to ground.

I'd perform an alternator output test to see if stator is still OK. http://cycleelectricinc.com/Diegnosi...lternators.htm

FXRs rely on multiple grounds due to the rubber mounted drive train so inspect, disconnect and clean the connections and make sure they are good.

Get Adobe Flash player

I did find a wire disconnected and reattached it and after charging the battery rode the bike today about 24 miles. Then less than a quarter mile from the house the bike died as in it just lost power completely. I had a buddy pick me and the bike up. The battery had enough juice to turn the bike over and it even started once and then died after 10 secs. I'm sure the problem is in the charging system. I'll be taking it over to my buddies tomorrow he has more tools than I do.

Get Adobe Flash player

I did find a wire disconnected and reattached it and after charging the battery rode the bike today about 24 miles. Then less than a quarter mile from the house the bike died as in it just lost power completely. I had a buddy pick me and the bike up. The battery had enough juice to turn the bike over and it even started once and then died after 10 secs. I'm sure the problem is in the charging system. I'll be taking it over to my buddies tomorrow he has more tools than I do.
    That's why I asked you about the battery yesterday........

So you didn't check to see if it was charging before you went for a ride?? Did you find your short????

Get Adobe Flash player

NOTE:
    If you find that you do indeed need to replace the regulator, cut the plug off of your old one before you pitch it. Invaluable to have as a troubleshooting aid later down the road, as it will allow you to easily ohm out your stator and/or check output voltage of the alternator.

Check DC voltage at the battery while running, it will fluctuate a couple of volts depending on rpm (if everything is working). If not, you have a problem in either the regulator or alternator.
    If the alternator is putting out you can read AC voltage at the pins, just DO NOT short it out (this is where the old plug comes in handy). The voltage will fluctuate with rpm. If you have output, then your regulator is gone.

Get Adobe Flash player

I also had someone suggest that the coil may be cause it to cut out. Cause I reattached the battery this morning and it started no problem. The detached wire may have shorted the system. And my friend suggest that maybe when the coil gets hot it cuts out, because it doesn’t quit while riding until it’s gone 15 or 20 miles.

Get Adobe Flash player

A faulty coil can definitely seem fine while cool, only to start breaking down when temp rises.

Share This