Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cimino289
    • Sep 2018

Fxr shorted out??

Hey last night I was changing the oil on my 92 fxr and spun the oil filter off when I did the stainless steel braided line the clutch cable is in touched the voltage regulator and it threw a spark and smoked the braided line this all happened in the span of 1 second. I immediately moved the line but now the bike won’t start and when you turn the key every light on the thing comes on. Do you think it just fried the regulator or what’s up. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this bike before hand.
  • Justhop
    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Cimino289
    Hey last night I was changing the oil on my 92 fxr and spun the oil filter off when I did the stainless steel braided line the clutch cable is in touched the voltage regulator and it threw a spark and smoked the braided line this all happened in the span of 1 second. I immediately moved the line but now the bike won’t start and when you turn the key every light on the thing comes on. Do you think it just fried the regulator or what’s up. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this bike before hand.
    Whats your definition of won't start?
    Is it cranking when you push the start button?
    Did you check the fuses if not?
    Will it roll over with a jumper wire?

Or is it rolling over not firing?
    Did you check for spark off the coils?

Comment

• Cimino289
      • Sep 2018

Originally it was not turning over. After messing with it all afternoon I was able to get it to turn over and then heard a sound like a breaker flipping and then after about a min the lights would come back on.

Comment

• Cimino289
        • Sep 2018

It has spark, and it’ll turn over like 2 times and then everything goes black

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally it was not turning over. After messing with it all afternoon I was able to get it to turn over and then heard a sound like a breaker flipping and then after about a min the lights would come back on.
          It's tripping the breaker.... It sounds to me like you still have something shorted out.....

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

It has spark, and it’ll turn over like 2 times and then everything goes black
            How is your battery??? Is it fully charged???

Comment

• Cimino289
              • Sep 2018

Battery was fully charged I’ve taken it out searching for the short

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Battery was fully charged I’ve taken it out searching for the short
                You have one believe me......

Comment

• Cimino289
                  • Sep 2018

Here’s a picture of where the regulator wire connects to the stator does it look like it got hot?
                  Last edited by Cimino289; 07-21-2019, 5:47 PM. Reason: Double posted pic

Comment

• Cimino289
                    • Sep 2018

I’m sure I have a short just haven’t located it. I’m unsure of what would just be shorting out

Comment

• rockman96
                      • May 2018

Have you tried taking the regulator out of the circuit to check operation?

ETA: What I mean is, isolate the regulator and then see if it will turn over and crank.

Comment

• Cimino289
                        • Sep 2018

I have not

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

I have not
                          Just unplug it........

Comment

• rockman96
                            • May 2018

At this point, you should probably put your battery on a charger for a bit to make sure it’s good and strong, and then try it.

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

If the regulator fried the cable by the regulator case being grounded to it, the regulator case had to be hot (likely bad regulator) but if it were hot it should have shorted to ground through the regulator case instead of not shorting until an outside ground conductor (the cable) touched the case. Make sure your next regulator is grounded (via case through mounting bolts).

I'd disconnect the regulator both by unplugging the alternator and by disconnecting the power lead from the regulator to circuit breaker at the breaker so the battery voltage doesn't short through the regulator case to ground.

I'd perform an alternator output test to see if stator is still OK. http://cycleelectricinc.com/Diegnosi...lternators.htm

FXRs rely on multiple grounds due to the rubber mounted drive train so inspect, disconnect and clean the connections and make sure they are good.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;