Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cimino289
    • Sep 2018

I did find a wire disconnected and reattached it and after charging the battery rode the bike today about 24 miles. Then less than a quarter mile from the house the bike died as in it just lost power completely. I had a buddy pick me and the bike up. The battery had enough juice to turn the bike over and it even started once and then died after 10 secs. I'm sure the problem is in the charging system. I'll be taking it over to my buddies tomorrow he has more tools than I do.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Cimino289
      I did find a wire disconnected and reattached it and after charging the battery rode the bike today about 24 miles. Then less than a quarter mile from the house the bike died as in it just lost power completely. I had a buddy pick me and the bike up. The battery had enough juice to turn the bike over and it even started once and then died after 10 secs. I'm sure the problem is in the charging system. I'll be taking it over to my buddies tomorrow he has more tools than I do.
      That's why I asked you about the battery yesterday........

So you didn't check to see if it was charging before you went for a ride?? Did you find your short????

Comment

• rockman96
        • May 2018

NOTE:
        If you find that you do indeed need to replace the regulator, cut the plug off of your old one before you pitch it. Invaluable to have as a troubleshooting aid later down the road, as it will allow you to easily ohm out your stator and/or check output voltage of the alternator.

Check DC voltage at the battery while running, it will fluctuate a couple of volts depending on rpm (if everything is working). If not, you have a problem in either the regulator or alternator.
        If the alternator is putting out you can read AC voltage at the pins, just DO NOT short it out (this is where the old plug comes in handy). The voltage will fluctuate with rpm. If you have output, then your regulator is gone.

Comment

• Cimino289
          • Sep 2018

I also had someone suggest that the coil may be cause it to cut out. Cause I reattached the battery this morning and it started no problem. The detached wire may have shorted the system. And my friend suggest that maybe when the coil gets hot it cuts out, because it doesn’t quit while riding until it’s gone 15 or 20 miles.

Comment

• rockman96
            • May 2018

A faulty coil can definitely seem fine while cool, only to start breaking down when temp rises.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

And my friend suggest that maybe when the coil gets hot it cuts out, because it doesn’t quit while riding until it’s gone 15 or 20 miles.

A coil won't run down a battery.......... Fix one thing at a time.......

Comment

• Cimino289
                • Sep 2018

I put a volt meter on the battery and at a quarter turn above idle it’s reading 12.5 volts. Mean while my dads evo, a softail, reads 14.5 volts in the same position. Is the charging system shot here?

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Is the charging system shot here?
                  Yep it's shot all right.............. Oh shorted out what ever you want to call it..........

Comment

• Cimino289
                    • Sep 2018

Okay here’s the update guys. After taking the bike to my buddies shop he ended up finding a frayed wire that was bugging things out. We tested the charging system it wasn’t putting out near the voltage it should have been. We replaced it with a cycle electric kit. The voltage regulator and stator we took off appeared to be the original equipment. Of course the FXR has only 13k miles so it to be expected. Now the only thing I’ve got is a small oil leak at the timing plug and that should be easily solved by Teflon tape. We’ve been riding some so life is good brothers.

Comment

• Cimino289
                      • Sep 2018

I know I’m kinda late with the update been off the computer a good bit lately.

Comment

• StrawBerry
                        • Nov 2017

I had a similar issue with my FXR. It took me far too long to hunt down the short, but a short is definitely what it is.

My short was in the coil wires- PO installed a single fire system, and routed the cables down out of the cone, back between the engine and trans and then across being the back cylinder. At some point the wire fell out of the loom and rested on the back cylinder. When the motor got hot, it would melt the wire and short out. Then when I cooled the short went away. Weirdest thing. Took me all winter to find it. But I'm dumb so ymmv.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;