Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crash37871
    • Jul 2019

Vlx600 rejet questions

I have a 2002 honda vlx600 I have already put cobra straight exhaust on it did the rejet for it now I'm adding a bullet tube air filter will I need to rejet again or just adjust the carb after I install the filter? Thanks for any info and help I can get.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Crash37871
    I have a 2002 honda vlx600 I have already put cobra straight exhaust on it did the rejet for it now I'm adding a bullet tube air filter will I need to rejet again or just adjust the carb after I install the filter?
    Yep, Look at the plugs that will tell you way more than we can..........

Comment

• Crash37871
      • Jul 2019

Which is it? Rejet again or just adjust the carb...I haven't installed the air filter yet if I needed to rejet I was gonna go ahead and get the jet kit... it already has a stage 2 jet kit in it for the pipes.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Which is it? Rejet again or just adjust the carb...I haven't installed the air filter yet if I needed to rejet I was gonna go ahead and get the jet kit... it already has a stage 2 jet kit in it for the pipes.
        I don't know yet you haven't shown us a pic of the plugs...... Right now it's just a guess.......

The first thing you need to learn about tuning is don't change things until your sure you need to change them......

Show me the plugs after you change the filter and ride it 15 miles..........

Comment

• Crash37871
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
          I don't know yet you haven't shown us a pic of the plugs...... Right now it's just a guess.......

The first thing you need to learn about tuning is don't change things until your sure you need to change them......

Show me the plugs after you change the filter and ride it 15 miles..........
          So to customize your bike to the way you want doesn't that require changes? Like removal of stock air box and stock pipes... I'm not to keen on these v twins I'm a custom to 2 cycle bikes birt bikes in general...I have done some research and what I have read said that for a street bike you should never need a stage 3 kit unless I'm racing it...I'm definitely not racing it just trying to make it look a little more attractive than stock. But thanks for the info I'll go back to school and learn some more...

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

So to customize your bike to the way you want doesn't that require changes?
            Show me where I said not to change things?????????? I said don't change things until your sure they need changing............

A motor is a motor tuning is tuning dirt bike car or what ever.....

Hell it's your money order what ever you want weather you need it or not........ You obvious know way more than I do about tuning.......

Comment

• Crash37871
              • Jul 2019

I haven't changed anything yet I have installed the pipes had to rejet for the pipes. Now I'm wanting to put aftermarket intake and air filter on it I have read some things that I do need to rejet some say I dont. It already has a stage 2 kit because of the pipes. I was just wondering if and why I would need to rejet again for intake and air filter...other things I have read said that a stage 3 kit is for racing applications I was just trying to get some input not smart ass remarks...I get enough of that from local cycle shops actually had 1 tell me the best answer to that question was to put the factory air box back on it that would answer every question I have...

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

I was just trying to get some input not smart ass remarks...
                LOL You will figure it out one day....... I gave you the correct answer to your question........

Comment

• Crash37871
                  • Jul 2019

I'm not gonna disagree...I do have alot to learn about this stuff...this is my first custom build DIY..lol..I can tune a motor I used to race go karts and cars I know how to read plugs and stuff different colors let's me know if I need to fatten it up or lean in on out...I've just never did my own custom build before. That's why I asking questions trying to figure out what I needed to do if I even needed to worry with that I've rode dirt bikes since I was a kid... playing with the jets on them drilling them out to give better throttle response..I'm not completely dumb but I dont want to get in to deep and out my skill level..it seems that no cycle shops want to help out with questions if you ain't spending money..they just looking for the sell not giving advice.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

it seems that no cycle shops want to help out with questions if you ain't spending money..they just looking for the sell not giving advice.

I'm going to give you my observation on the above....

If you go into there shop and start telling them they are wrong like you told me I can see why they don't want to give you advice.......

If you can read plugs like you say you can why are you disagreeing with my answer????????? I'm not convinced that you can read plugs.......

Building a custom is no different than building anything with a motor........

Best of luck......

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Perform mods, ride bike, read plugs (the internet has a shitload of pictorial plug charts from the manufacturers) then note results!

Every bike is a bit different and riders live at different elevations. Carbs are pleasantly crude and tolerant.

Tatooo knows his shit. Heed or not, but read posts for comprehension if you want best results.

Also check Honda Shadow forums (there are many) as that improves the odds of finding someone with the same setup. Post your elevation above sea level for best results. People omit that but it matters since carbs are not as precise as EFI.

English lesson:
                      "Stage" is a bullshit marketing term used to simplify things for customers, not to INFORM customers and there is most fucking definitely a difference! I find its use by sellers misleading and insulting because it's not highly specific. It doesn't really tell customers anything.

Once you get comfortable tuning you can tune most anything, so get comfortable tuning. I buy plugs by the box online to save money and have clean new ones handy for tuning. These links may be useful: http://www.vt600vlx.com/related-links/online

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                        • Sep 2013

It seems that no cycle shops want to help out with questions if you ain't spending money..they just looking for the sell not giving advice.
                        Capitalism is a bit of a a drag, isn't it? Would you do your job for free for whoever happened to walk in your door? Tattoo is genuinely trying to help you here. He is one of the most valuable members of this forum and would probably still help you if you show him your plugs.

Comment

• Epitaph88vlx
                          • Jan 2019

find a carb jet calculator and run it with what you have currently
                          then run it with what you are looking to change, it will give you a better ballpark,
                          but ultimately a plug check will indicate what needs to get done to tune that right up perfect.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;