Search

Thread: How much oil

Default How much oil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180927_134632.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	95976

I know level should be just below return and vent line. I can see and feel one line to almost top of the oil tank. I cant see the other line (which I'm guessing is the return line). while running, i can see a slight gurgle in oil, so its returning oil but i cant tell if the oil level is below or above the line I cant see...any advise here?

I over filled (I'm sure I did) cause after an oil change n ride, it puked oil from air cleaner

TaylaVerbrugghen

I think you'd better contact the technical service.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylaVerbrugghen View Post
    I think you'd better contact the technical service.
    He did. This is the tech service for choppers.

Jim

What's the oil level according to the dipstick? I wouldn't fault the level in the oil bag as a reason for puking oil out of the breathers. IMO that would be a result of either wet sumping and/or faulty head breather valves but I'm not well versed in HD BTs so I'll concede to what JBinNC, farmall or Tattoo have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Skjoll View Post
    What's the oil level according to the dipstick? I wouldn't fault the level in the oil bag as a reason for puking oil out of the breathers. IMO that would be a result of either wet sumping and/or faulty head breather valves but I'm not well versed in HD BTs so I'll concede to what JBinNC, farmall or Tattoo have to say.
    Looks like a custom oil tank, and I think T. asked and answered his own question. The tank may not have the return and/ or vent lines high enough, and he will just have to determine an oil level that will work.

That said, on HDs, check the oil level AFTER running the motor for ten minutes or so, preferably vertical, off the jiffy stand, so that the oil level in the motor and oil tank is normalized. The tank should have some air space above the oil when full. T. will have to determine by experiment how much air space his tank needs to function properly.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Skjoll View Post
    I'm not well versed in HD BTs so I'll concede to what Tattoo have to say.

I read it when he first posted it.............

Its is a custom horseshoe type tank with the battery inside it. The one I can see inside the tank is the vent line based on where the hose is routed at the engine. It's the return I cant see.....I am just afraid if I get too low where I can see the return, I may not have enough oil. Anything I should look for to determine if I have enough oil?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tx51 View Post
    Anything I should look for to determine if I have enough oil?

If you can look in the tank and you can see oil don't worry about it...... Ride it............

As a practical matter, your bike will run nicely with two quarts of oil in the tank. A standard softail tank holds three quarts, with the refill mark on the stick at two quarts. But in general, the more the better, especially in very hot weather.

Jim

Gentlemen, I thank you. I shall ride it.....

Share This