Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulYep5
    • Sep 2014

Full Tear Down Upgrades?

Chasing down a few problems with my 2000 1200S turned into a full tear down. As I'm putting it back together I wanted to see if people had tips on upgrades I should make while I'm at it. I already replaced the following parts that I felt I should upgrade or that I know are prone to fail; oil pump gear, timing cup, cams, 1275 kit, Mikuni 42, ported heads and new ignition. Are there things I'm missing?

The following are some of the questions I had.

Read about a mod to use a Buell oil pump, which is better in some way or another, if you machine the engine case. Anyone know if this is worthwhile?

Is there a mod to decrease vibrations?

Is the stock manifold adequate?

Any brake upgrades that are going to be really effective, but not too expensive?

Thanks for any help!
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Vibration mod? Yes, rebuild the rods and balance and true the flywheel assembly.

Stock manifold can be replaced with an S&S manifold for more volume.

When assembling a top end, set quench clearance to .032 - .035", and you will have a more responsive motor, and one that better resists detonation.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

On the balance, you can match the recip weights .... That helps a great deal with less Vibration ...
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• PaulYep5
        • Sep 2014

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention that the case is at Hammer Performance at the moment for a crank conversion where they machine it out for a Buell crank so everything should be balanced and trued when I get it back.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Check the S specific Q and A:

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;