CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Full Tear Down Upgrades?

Chasing down a few problems with my 2000 1200S turned into a full tear down. As I'm putting it back together I wanted to see if people had tips on upgrades I should make while I'm at it. I already replaced the following parts that I felt I should upgrade or that I know are prone to fail; oil pump gear, timing cup, cams, 1275 kit, Mikuni 42, ported heads and new ignition. Are there things I'm missing?

The following are some of the questions I had.

Read about a mod to use a Buell oil pump, which is better in some way or another, if you machine the engine case. Anyone know if this is worthwhile?

Is there a mod to decrease vibrations?

Is the stock manifold adequate?

Any brake upgrades that are going to be really effective, but not too expensive?

Thanks for any help!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Vibration mod? Yes, rebuild the rods and balance and true the flywheel assembly.

Stock manifold can be replaced with an S&S manifold for more volume.

When assembling a top end, set quench clearance to .032 - .035", and you will have a more responsive motor, and one that better resists detonation.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

On the balance, you can match the recip weights .... That helps a great deal with less Vibration ...

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention that the case is at Hammer Performance at the moment for a crank conversion where they machine it out for a Buell crank so everything should be balanced and trued when I get it back.

Get Adobe Flash player

Check the S specific Q and A:

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=431484

Share This