CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Fair price on a 82 ironhead

What would be a fair price on a 82 ironhead? Its 1000cc, stock besides the seat, 14k original miles. A mechanic recently redid the fork seals and went over the bike, said it was in good shape. An old guy I know is selling it because he its collecting dust in his garage. Problem is neither he or I know what a fair price for it is. I've looked at other sportsters around this year but I havent seen any of them stock or with this low of miles. Thanks.

SamHain

Quote Originally Posted by gnarles View Post
    What would be a fair price on a 82 ironhead? Its 1000cc, stock besides the seat, 14k original miles. A mechanic recently redid the fork seals and went over the bike, said it was in good shape. An old guy I know is selling it because he its collecting dust in his garage. Problem is neither he or I know what a fair price for it is. I've looked at other sportsters around this year but I havent seen any of them stock or with this low of miles. Thanks.
    A low mile original bike could bring a decent chunk of change, but stock and original seem to mean all sorts of things to all sorts of people, at 14k miles that bike should either be showroom or rotted to Hell depending on where it spent the last 35+ years. pictures and more info are gonna be required. Mechanic went over it? What did they do? What’s the compression? How’s the tires and brake lines?

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
    A low mile original bike could bring a decent chunk of change, but stock and original seem to mean all sorts of things to all sorts of people, at 14k miles that bike should either be showroom or rotted to Hell depending on where it spent the last 35+ years. pictures and more info are gonna be required. Mechanic went over it? What did they do? What’s the compression? How’s the tires and brake lines?
    I wasn't there when the mechanic went over it but the guy said it's ready to ride. I can post some pictures of it tonight. Its pretty damn clean, could use a wash and a little polishing, paint is good. My understanding is that its stayed in a garage all its life and it looks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
    Mechanic also said it was the cleanest most unmolested one hes seen. The only thing that's been changed it the seat.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Post pics, anything at this point is a guess........... Original to one is fucked over to another......... Post pics........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_imagejpeg_0_1563333312616.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	95709

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_IMG_0953_1563333352563.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	95710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_imagejpeg_0_2_1563333386548.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	95711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_imagejpeg_0_3_1563333424678.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	95712

Photo quality isn't the best, guys close to 80.
    Last edited by gnarles; 07-16-2019 at 9:29 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice looking bike... And it's very original....

The seat could be real I've seen them like that......

I'd say $2500.00 if it's cleaned up and running as it should be...........

By the way thanks for the pics they are very helpful...... What's the guy asking for the bike???????

Get Adobe Flash player

I was looking for an Ironhead recently and decent bike prices were generally around 2500-3000 for 71 and newer...Running non original beat up bikes were around $2000.Earlier 900's were around $4000 if they were in reasonable shape...What was interesting ,it seemed way too many had screwed up titles ...

Here in the Kentucky/Indiana area that bike would be on Craigslist for $5000... $7000 if the seller removed the front fender and brake, chopped the rear fender and threw on some drag pipes and a small exposed air filter without any concern about jetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Nice looking bike... And it's very original....

The seat could be real I've seen them like that......

I'd say $2500.00 if it's cleaned up and running as it should be...........

By the way thanks for the pics they are very helpful...... What's the guy asking for the bike???????
    The guy doesn't know what he should ask for it, he asked me what i think is a fair price. Hes old and isn't internet friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
    I was looking for an Ironhead recently and decent bike prices were generally around 2500-3000 for 71 and newer...Running non original beat up bikes were around $2000.Earlier 900's were around $4000 if they were in reasonable shape...What was interesting ,it seemed way too many had screwed up titles ...
    Title is good and registration is current. He rides it every couple months to church.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gnarles View Post
    Title is good and registration is current. He rides it every couple months to church.
    That's a good thing......

Get Adobe Flash player

I concur with Tatooo. $2500 is reasonable. They aren't in heavy demand because Evo Sporties are drastically better motorcycles.

The nice thing about it having such low miles is previous owners haven't destroyed it. If you want an IH it looks like a solid place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I concur with Tatooo. $2500 is reasonable. They aren't in heavy demand because Evo Sporties are drastically better motorcycles.

The nice thing about it having such low miles is previous owners haven't destroyed it. If you want an IH it looks like a solid place to start.
    In a fair world this would be reasonable. But in the real world as it is, in my neck of the woods it would bring about a grand, cash, if he could find a buyer at all. Sad really.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    In a fair world this would be reasonable. But in the real world as it is, in my neck of the woods it would bring about a grand, cash, if he could find a buyer at all. Sad really.

Jim
    My new gig will be buying ironheads in Nc and selling them in Kentucky/Indiana .......

Get Adobe Flash player

LOL, you beat me to it!

Actually back in the early 70's I used to go with a neighbor to Az. We would buy 4 cars, 2 runners and 2 with really clean bodies, we would tow the two bodies back behind the runners and would then flip them in Illinois. I always had a cool car to drive to school.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's pretty irrelevant, but that bike would list at $4000 Canadian and sell around $3500 in Alberta Canada. so somewhere between $2700 and $3000 American. Our prices are almost always higher up here. I've spent a disproportionate amount of my life looking at bikes for sale in the states, and it seems to me the other fellas are right, somewhere around $2500. It's a good looking machine.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just by the pics in post #7 that bike looks pretty unmolested and just needs a proud new owner. Good deep cleaning and freshen up on all fluids and ride her. For some reason Ironheads seem to fall into the hands of people that shouldn't use wrenches on anything. I'm near Louisville, most the shit around here is street glides with all the trinkets.
    Last edited by KevinN; 07-17-2019 at 6:24 PM.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll offer him 2500 for some wiggle room and see if he takes it. Definitely gonna clean & polish & do a few things to it.

Share This