CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 74 Ironhead will not fire

This bike has been gone through by me a few times with most this upgraded or repaired. I have had the motor rebuilt and given back to me a month ago. I put a set of new points and condenser on, new battery, new plugs, new s and s super e rebuilt by me. The same coil which ran and charged the bike before the build. The same generator and regulator which charged the bike before the build. I have gas, compression, and no spark at the plugs. I have spark at the points. 12.6 volts on battery( not running) while kicking 12.4 at the least across the battery. Have 12.5 average a coil with ignition on. The
    Last week has been nothing but kicking and charging battery overnight. Thanks for any ideas

You should not be seeing much spark at the points. Your condenser may be bad, which does make starting difficult.

Should go without saying, you need to be getting good spark at the plugs BEFORE you do all that kicking.

FWIW, I had the same no start issue on a new to me bike, that turned out to be an old plug wire arcing to a coil cover. Happened to see the spark because it was dark. Yes, outside kicking in the dark.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea need to swap out plug wires just to rule that out. Very little spark at points but it’s there

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like ya got enough volts.
    Easy way to check spark is to pull the plugs, connect them to the plug caps like normal, lay them on the head, turn on ignition, then manually open the points. Every time the points open there should be spark at the plugs.
    Is the wire to the points isolated from ground...wired just to the points and not the points mounting stud(common on brits). What about a kill switch - might be too easy, but don't hurt to ask and confirm it is on. Check wire to coil, make sure it is not chaffed and grounding between the points and the coil.

Get Adobe Flash player

No spark to plug laying on head. Points have 13 plus volts with ignition on. No kill switch to deal with. Wire from points to the coil is connected to the only screw it can be connected to(where the condenser is connected) thanks for the advice. I’m stuck

With points closed, voltage at point post should read zero (grounded). If you read voltage there with points closed, clean the points. Given your situation, again I say you may have a bad condenser.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

What about a pic of your set up.........

Get Adobe Flash player

Points open reading volts. Points closed 0. Condenser is new.. but another one??

Quote Originally Posted by mowen View Post
    Points open reading volts. Points closed 0. Condenser is new.. but another one??
    Condensers are kinda hit or miss these days. New don't necessarily mean good. The Blue Streak ones are the ones I've had the best luck with.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	303.5 KB 
ID:	95722

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	95725Click image for larger version. 

Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	95725
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Your pics look great. Nothing I can see to hamper functionality. I see you have Blue Streak points & condenser. If I were facing your dilemma, I would change condenser, plugs, wires, and coil, in that order, to diagnose this no spark problem.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks again JB. Coil sounds like the culprit. Have way too much $$$ in this pig now so don’t want to throw money at it but need spark don’t I?!?!

With the exception of the plugs, used parts swaps will serve for diagnostic purposes. Maybe you could borrow some of the pieces.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Put another condenser in and nothing. Coil is showin 0.50 ohms between contacts. (It’s a 5 ohm coil)
    This Fukn thing

Get Adobe Flash player

I keep complete spare Harley ignition and charging systems for troubleshooting and repair. You can see why.

When I replace a coil I order another spare and stash the second along with duplicates of everything else because they will get used and are dandy for troubleshooting. Ignition parts are consumables. I don't buy asswipe by the sheet either. Spares cut troubleshooting time and speed repairs. The more I copy military and civilian fleet maintenance practices the easier life becomes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Amen. This shit is ridiculous! I want to buy a coil but it’s reading 0.05ohms. Could it still be bad?

Get Adobe Flash player

I just thought of something. Frame was triple chromed while having engine done. Every ground on the bike except battery it’s screwed to frame in one place or another. Is this an issue??

Get Adobe Flash player

Man your bike looks awesome........ By the way thanks for the pics...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mowen View Post
    I just thought of something. Frame was triple chromed while having engine done. Every ground on the bike except battery it’s screwed to frame in one place or another. Is this an issue??
    It could be!!! Where is the battery ground attached???? I would put one to the motor and one to the frame.......

Share This