X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkilr
    • Sep 2009

My Forever Triumph Chopper Build ....

Heads Up! Long Drawn Out Post

I haven't been on here in a very long time. I have a 70 T120R chopper project that I started probably 15 years ago and well.... just never finished. Really, I barely started it. I have all sorts of cool stuff and most of the parts from the stock bike when I got it. I finally have the funds to do this right but I feel hesitant to get off my ass and get to it. I'm sure I have the skill ( I wrench in a GM engineering area) , I also have a lot of tools and equipment. I do most of the repairs and maintenance on our 4 vehicles here at home. I think it's because I'm looking at the entirety of the project. I think if I just concentrate on one step at a time it won't seem so overwhelming.

So having said that......where do I start? The engine will need to be rebuilt. I'm going to do as much of that as possible. I have the frame/ David Bird hardtail, 39mm narrowglide front end mounted to it and a complete set of wheels and tires. An oil tank and a pretty kliller Frisco style gas tank. If someone wanted to help me with step 1 or may 2 and 3 I'd really appreciate it. It's like I need a mentor or something! lol

Rob
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

Well what worked for me was to mock up the entire bike, figure out all your tabs and brackets, seat lights whatever.

Once you,re done with that tear it down. Now in my case I sent the motor out to be built as that is just beyond my little garage shop. Once it was gone I started on molding the frame and rebuilding the trans. Next came rebuilding things like wheel hubs and polishing all the little doodads

Paint, reassembly, wiring, break-in, grin

Comment

• hillcat
      • Mar 2015

I just watched a video series on Triumph 650 re-build on Amazon Prime (streaming) that was pretty good.
      Todd somebody from Lowbrow was the tech. Free with amazon prime membership.Very thorough and fairly simple to understand.

Comment

• Nanonevol
        • Feb 2017

The 13 part series is on You Tube. No Amazon required.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Heard good things about this 4-chapter DVD; "This guy was employed by the Triumph Engineering Co. (Meriden) from 1953 -73. The DVD walks you through total strip down and rebuild. A must have."

Hughie Hancox - Triumph Unit Rebuild DVD
          This invaluable video follows Hughie through the total strip and rebuild of a 1970 Triumph TR6 unit construction engine, transmission and gearbox. It offers an insight as to what to expect once the covers come off and is presented in a step by step fashion to help give anyone the confidence to attempt the job themselves.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

And for info on the t120,a '69 model (just a few changes in '70 - primary shares engine oil, gearbox upgrades...):

The Bonnie Ref

A Hyperlink Junkie's Illustrated Field Guide
            to the 1969 Triumph Bonneville
            Most Recent Online Update: 10 July 2019

and

ENGINE
            1970 Triumph Bonneville model year changes started with Engine #JD24849. Crankcase ventilation, always a problem with vertical twins where both pistons rise & fall together, was revised & the timed breather eliminated. Now the engine breathed through the primary chaincase, via 3 holes drilled between, then out a vent tube behind the clutch & out a rubber hose that ran out the back, along the left edge of the fender. This system yielded a second benefit by keeping the primary always well oiled, but allowing any excess oil to run back into the engine through the holes.

Unified or UNF (American) threads continued to work their way through the engine & the entire motorcycles. Minor changes were made to cams, timing gears, tach drive and alternator cable. Plastic plugs were added to the Amal Concentric carbs to allow easy draining of the float bowls. The gearbox (transmission) was extensively modified for 1970. Changes to the inner cover, selector rod, mainshaft bearing circlip, aluminum-bronze shift forks with rollers (replacing steel forks), new camplate & leaf spring were all aimed at better shifting. New oil-filled ignition coils (Lucas 17M 12) were smaller than the units they replaced.
              BEST EVER The 1970 Triumph Bonneville T120 was not only the high water mark in Triumph 650 development, and the year that most people favor as ‘the best Triumph Bonneville ever built’, it was also the last year before the dreaded Oil-in-Frame bikes arrived, and all the problems with cash-strapped owner BSA began to surface. At this point the Meriden factory was turning out 900 Triumph Bonnevilles a week.               CAN THE BONNEVILLE […]
            Last edited by TriNortchopz; 07-18-2019, 7:26 AM.
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

To get the most out of your 650 twin engine, here is some info:

Technical Information Bulletin No. 14
              Preparation an Assembly of Unit Construction 6T, TR6 and T120 Engines for Maximum Performance

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

This blog looks to be inspirational - although for a pre-unit, some nice stuff:

Tim's Triumph bobber build
                Tim has asked us to build him a Triumph pre-unit bobber. With a vision in mind and some parts at hand Tim is excited and we are ready to ge...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Some nice parts here you could include in your build, or give you ideas to fab your own stuff:

Classic British Motorcycle Speed Equipment
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2a4159_7e0897f9b2a13cfb44b497bf3d6cd20c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1312162
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2a4159_e79ef587753f3b80da9027218c675cf5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1312163

Comment

• datadavid
                    • Oct 2014

I thought it was supposed to take 15 years of your life while watching people have fun living their lives outside of your garage, in the real world?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;