Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFC
    • Mar 2019

Jim, in regards to the carb... what screw are you talking about ??? I think your saying to take the screw (9) and put it into (8)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1312145
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MFC; 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

I'm talking about plug #21.
      Put it in position #8 in the upper pic.

Jim

Comment

• MFC
        • Mar 2019

how will I know that I am satisfied with the timing. no pinging noise at 2000 RPM???
        Also, what do you mean if the bike doesn't pull cleanly through all the gears??

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to cover my basis with the mechanical part of having an ironhead, I'm better with the fab stuff.

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

What I mean by pulling through the gears is just that. It should pull strongly from 1500rpm up to at least 6000rpm with no hesitation, missing, sputtering, etc. And an ironhead will pull rather strongly. It should not go flat until the valves start floating, and they have enough valve spring to turn 7000rpm. Looks like you have plenty of carb, a nice exhaust system (from appearance only) and you say you have an electronic ignition which should give consistent spark. Tuning should achieve this result.

Now, if there is something (or several somethings) mechanically wrong with the motor, no amount of tuning will fix that. That remains to be seen.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Valve timing too ...

Being that motor is a 81 it's most likely to have a world of miles on it ...
            Bout the first thing that wears out is the lifter blocks ... The rocking back and forth throws off valve timing greatly ....

Easy to see if indeed this is the case by pulling the pushrods covers and lifting them up to eye-ball what the tappets are doing while spinning the motor over ...
            At high lift you will see it jump from side to side ....

If you do need a set of blocks, I have these in stock...

Sell em cheap .... They are brand new ...
            Last edited by Dragstews; 07-17-2019, 1:05 PM.
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• MFC
              • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Dragstews
              Valve timing too ...

Being that motor is a 81 it's most likely to have a world of miles on it ...
              Bout the first thing that wears out is the lifter blocks ... The rocking back and forth throws off valve timing greatly ....

Easy to see if indeed this is the case by pulling the pushrods covers and lifting them up to eye-ball what the tappets are doing while spinning the motor over ...
              At high lift you will see it jump from side

If you do need a set of blocks, I have these in stock...

Sell em cheap .... They are brand new ...
              Thanks !! This will be another thing on the list I’ll check

Comment

• MFC
                • Mar 2019

So here is the update.

I set up the timing light and followed the directions on the vti PDF. I was only slightly advanced from 35* BTDC. Retarded about 5 degrees And jumped on the bike.

Like Jim said I pulled through all the gears and listened for a ping noise.. none, bike fired perfectly, sounded great. However the plateau issue still existed. So I adjusted my clutch cable first. Got back on and still I could feel the bike lag then catch. Adjusted my pressure plate and again the cable and BINGO the bike pulled through each gear beautifully!! Powerful and sounding best it has been in the time I have had it.

Question Jim, if I swap the plug like u suggested what will that do to the current tune?

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MFC
                  So here is the update.
                  Adjusted my pressure plate and again the cable and BINGO the bike pulled through each gear beautifully!!
                  Awesome.....

Comment

• MFC
                    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    Awesome.....
                    Thanks Tattoo ... turned out the clutch needed some adjustment to get it right! I appreciate the guidance!

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by MFC
                      So here is the update.

I set up the timing light and followed the directions on the vti PDF. I was only slightly advanced from 35* BTDC. Retarded about 5 degrees And jumped on the bike.

Like Jim said I pulled through all the gears and listened for a ping noise.. none, bike fired perfectly, sounded great. However the plateau issue still existed. So I adjusted my clutch cable first. Got back on and still I could feel the bike lag then catch. Adjusted my pressure plate and again the cable and BINGO the bike pulled through each gear beautifully!! Powerful and sounding best it has been in the time I have had it.

Question Jim, if I swap the plug like u suggested what will that do to the current tune?
                      If you swap the location of that plug, hopefully nothing. Drag racers discovered that with a velocity stack, a vacuum can be created at that point at high speed. That is why the plug is there to start with, to give you the optional vent point when not running the air filter box. You need to swap it.

Jim

Comment

• MFC
                        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by JBinNC
                        If you swap the location of that plug, hopefully nothing. Drag racers discovered that with a velocity stack, a vacuum can be created at that point at high speed. That is why the plug is there to start with, to give you the optional vent point when not running the air filter box. You need to swap it.

Jim
                        Jim... I went to remove the bottom plug and realized the spot I’m supposed to put it in (location #8) is not threaded... does this mod require me to tap location 8?

Comment

• JBinNC
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by MFC
                          Jim... I went to remove the bottom plug and realized the spot I’m supposed to put it in (location #8) is not threaded... does this mod require me to tap location 8?
                          Yes.

Jim

Comment

• MFC
                            • Mar 2019

Originally posted by JBinNC
                            Yes.

Jim
                            Jim, I appreciate all the help sir!

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

You can just leave the bottom plug out, that will help, and tap and install at your leisure.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;