• Show
Clear All
  • GSBobber1980
    • Aug 2017

Will do, thanks!

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
      • Apr 2012

Frames and parts for CB750 and related H*ndas, as well as Kawasaki KZ series used to be common in late 70s and thru most of the 1980s. Jammer cycle products had some cool catalogs and some bikes featured. Same with other period suppliers. However very little for Suzukis, which is why you dont see a lot of pix or other examples. Its not that its not viable as a bike, its just you might as well accept it. But I bet you could find a old CB or KZ nicel chopped frame already setup with proper rake, trail and ride height and then figure out either convert to chain or how to deal with the shaft.

I realize you want a raked and stretched ride, and thats possible, But to figure out how to do it right, it comes down to established engineering. Raked trees? Drop? Stretch? Trail? Get it wrong and it be either highly unpleasant to ride or down right lethal. There is many online tutorials on how to figure out proper rake and trail, But heres a good one to start.
      See: https://www.chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm

High speed wobblies or tank slappers are no fun.

My input is, either be a genius and extremely talented builder/fab guy to successfully rake and stretch a bike like that, In which case instead of asking here, you would instead be telling US how its done.
      -or B-
      Get the rake, trail,stretch etc and setup frame by buying a pro built aftermarket chop frame
      -or C-
      Run it as a hard tailed bobber with the stock rake and wheelbase Which is what I am suggesting here. Not that I am not in favor of raked out custom choppers, but being realistic, I think Option C is your best bet.

Many variables can drive the decision on where you go from here. Both personal for you as well as finances/resources and what kind of riding you wish to do with it.

A friend locally built this many years ago to illustrate ANYONE can build a cool scoot for not a lot of money. He did this for UNDER $1000 and tried to illustrate that anyone (Properly motivated) can build a nice ride. He leaves it up because its a big traffic generator to his website for his business. (Motorcycle shop and parts sales) But while I am at it, last I heard he was looking to sell the business. Yes, you too can live the life of fame and notoriety and be a motorcycle shop owner. (I told him when he started, Starting a shop is great way to ruin a perfectly good hobby)
      There was a page by page "How to" in building it. Might still find it somewhere or elsewhere on his site. But Econ 101, How to build a cool "Cheaper Chopper" See: http://cyclepsycho.com/yamachopper/cheaperchopper.html
      Last edited by Dougtheinternetannoyance123; 07-15-2019, 5:31 PM.

Comment

• DustyDave
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by GSBobber1980
        I assumed the fact that I wrote I’ll be doing “a proper hardtail” was enough information to show the swingarm wasn’t being used, no?
        Dam you're sensitive I thought I was agreeing with you.
        Dusty
        Driving that train, high on cocaine
        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• GSBobber1980
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by DustyDave
          Dam you're sensitive I thought I was agreeing with you.
          Dusty
          Sensitive? I’d seen your post about the swingarm still being in place. It looked as if you thought that was my plan. Just clarifying is all.

Comment

• GSBobber1980
            • Aug 2017

In response to Dougtheinternetannoyance123:

Thank you for that post. That’s a great looking bike you posted. I think whatever rake I achieve will be a couple degrees you get when lowering the rear. And even that won’t be a true rake in relation to the frame. I’ve worked out using ‘82 XL500 forks which will give me some added length and use of a 21” spoked wheel.

The more I look at the bike, I think stock length will be just right. I can use the swingarm to get the axle plates in the proper location and attach the upper hardtail members to them and the backbone at the same time. From there I’ll weld in the lower hardtail members after cutting away the rear factory frame along with the entire swingarm setup.

I think meticulous measurements and a laser will help. Plus temporarily tacking the frame to my jig will help keep it square. After enough tacking, I’ll bring it to get MIG’ed by a professional and I’ll do the final assembly at home.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;