CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Default 1991 Heritage Softail - Sprucing up a Beater

Hello folks! I am happy to say I finally got my motorcycle endorsement, and have been working on a hand-me-down bike from my father. (I think he provoked me to get my license so he could get a new bike.) Rode it for a bit, did a few things here and there...and then...

No power. Whatsoever. The battery shows voltage, and so does the starter solenoid. But there is no power going through the ignition switch itself.

Anyways, I just want to do a few tasteful things to it currently. It already has an S&S Super E Carb, A Cam (Unkown Brand or Lift), Crane ignition, and adjustable pushrods. Got a V&H Pro Pipe to put on it until I can get a dual setup with fishtails.

Took the saddlebags off because the mounts were broken, each one only holding on by one bolt. I plan on picking up some kydex, and borrowing the plastic welding gun from my grandfather and fix them once. Properly.

I'm 16, working a part-time job, along with a few side gigs. So updates will be a bit sparse until I graduate in December. Hopefully I can get it running by then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yxrJqW9.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	95561
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190511_131252.jpg  
    Last edited by WidesWhitesAndCholos; 07-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Please remove Beaver-Tail seat. Place on ground and soak in gas. Toss match.

Oh I will be. I hate it. But it'll be staying until I get the funds for a nice solo. I do have to say it is comfy though.

Stopped by the local bike shop on the way to Taking my great-grandmother to the dermatologist. Picked up a new ignition switch and a set of riser bushings. Tempted to go back and pick up the blue dot tail lighr lense.

I tracked down the electrical problem to the switch. Was receiving power, but not outputting. Picked up a Drag Specialties switch to replace it.

Hopefully I can get it running tonight, or in the morning so I can ride to work tomorrow.

Get Adobe Flash player

Damn nice looking start you have there you should be proud....... If it were me at your age I wouldn't change much on the bike right now, You need to enjoy riding it not working on it.....

There is nothing wrong with the seat if you like it and the way it rides.... That's all that matters.......

You have a nice bike keep it that way........

If you haven't taken a riding class do it if you have one in your area, and be safe.........

Quote Originally Posted by WidesWhitesAndCholos View Post
    Oh I will be. I hate it. But it'll be staying until I get the funds for a nice solo. I do have to say it is comfy though.

Stopped by the local bike shop on the way to Taking my great-grandmother to the dermatologist. Picked up a new ignition switch and a set of riser bushings. Tempted to go back and pick up the blue dot tail lighr lense.

I tracked down the electrical problem to the switch. Was receiving power, but not outputting. Picked up a Drag Specialties switch to replace it.

Hopefully I can get it running tonight, or in the morning so I can ride to work tomorrow.
    Nice ride. You can do a lot with these. I bought one a couple of years ago and went to town on it.

Before and after -

Name:	20190710_203336.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	95564

Name:	IMG_20190615_181133_310.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	95565

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Damn nice looking start you have there you should be proud....... If it were me at your age I wouldn't change much on the bike right now, You need to enjoy riding it not working on it.....

There is nothing wrong with the seat if you like it and the way it rides.... That's all that matters.......

You have a nice bike keep it that way........

If you haven't taken a riding class do it if you have one in your area, and be safe.........
    Yep! Already took a class. That's how I got my license so fast. Three 5 hour days and I got to skip the 6 month wait AND the state test. Well worth the $53 or so. Rode a Yamaha TW200, It was a blast.

I plan on keeping it majority stock for now, I love the paint amd the chrome, I will for sure be keeping all that. Story on the bike is that it was my Grandfather's, and with my Mother growing a bit rough due to her ailments, passed it to my Father so they could enjoy the road together. She loved this thing. She passed back In February. Probably why I'm hesitant to take off the seat. As ugly as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcubes View Post
    Nice ride. You can do a lot with these. I bought one a couple of years ago and went to town on it.
    I'd love to have something like that! Just not with this bike. Too much sentimental value to go all out quite yet. I'm planning on getting a second bike however once I sell my truck. Either a Sporty to build a 70's style Chopper, or a CB750 to build a budget Cafe Racer out of.

My main goals for this bike is to do more of a Retro build. Round Oil Tank, Louvered carb Cover, Eyebrows for all the lights, and perhaps a Deluxe Tombstone tailight, suck in those turn markers by a mile or so. And a nice comfy solo seat. But I'm keeping the Beaver-Tail. The more I look at bikes, the more I grow to dislike the beach bars. I don't want Apes. But I don't want Beaches now much either. Any good bars for a compromise??
    Last edited by WidesWhitesAndCholos; 07-10-2019 at 9:57 PM.

Id go for a set of stock heritage FL handlebars. They look great on the chunky front end and have a bit of vintage flanders bar style to them. Should be able to snag a set from eBay

Get Adobe Flash player

I plan on keeping it majority stock for now, I love the paint amd the chrome, I will for sure be keeping all that. Story on the bike is that it was my Grandfather's, and with my Mother growing a bit rough due to her ailments, passed it to my Father so they could enjoy the road together. She loved this thing. She passed back In February.

That's awesome that you want to keep it as it is...... I don't blame you and like you said buy a different bike to change that way you will always have a bike that's running.....

Best of luck and don't hesitate asking questions if needed.......

Put the new ignition switch on. Still nothing. It has 12v going to it when it's off, but when you turn it on, no power to anything, It's like there's a dead short somewhere.

Get Adobe Flash player

Put the new ignition switch on. Still nothing. It has 12v going to it when it's off, but when you turn it on, no power to anything, It's like there's a dead short somewhere.
    Ok before we go any further tell us exactly what the problem is that your having?????????? I know you said the switch doesn't have power but that doesn't tell us much......

Give us details on what it's doing like clicking, light's dimming etc........

What are you trying to get it to do????

Is the battery fully charged????? You say it's 12 V but 12V what 12.4 12.1?????

How old is the battery????

Ok before we go any further tell us exactly what the problem is that your having?????????? I know you said the switch doesn't have power but that doesn't tell us much......

Give us details on what it's doing like clicking, light's dimming etc........

What are you trying to get it to do????

Is the battery fully charged????? You say it's 12 V but 12V what 12.4 12.1?????

How old is the battery????
    Battery is 6 months old. Shows 12.75v. I don't even have lights or clicking, nothing is working.

Get Adobe Flash player

Battery is 6 months old. Shows 12.75v. I don't even have lights or clicking, nothing is working.
    Ok now were are getting some where.......

First thing you need to do is clean your battery cables...... Both ends and I don't care how hard they are to get to......

Do you have a manual and parts catalogue for your bike???? If not you need to buy them or down load them..... I like a paper copy myself........

Found it. The wire going to the breaker behind the oil tank was grounded between one of the plugs. Set of wire strippers and a small fusible link and she's running.

Get Adobe Flash player

Found it. The wire going to the breaker behind the oil tank was grounded between one of the plugs. Set of wire strippers and a small fusible link and she's running.
    AWESOME...........

Now can you post a pic of what you did????

Get Adobe Flash player

I plan on keeping it majority stock for now, I love the paint amd the chrome, I will for sure be keeping all that. Story on the bike is that it was my Grandfather's, and with my Mother growing a bit rough due to her ailments, passed it to my Father so they could enjoy the road together. She loved this thing. She passed back In February. Probably why I'm hesitant to take off the seat. As ugly as it is.

I'd love to have something like that! Just not with this bike. Too much sentimental value to go all out quite yet. I'm planning on getting a second bike however once I sell my truck. Either a Sporty to build a 70's style Chopper, or a CB750 to build a budget Cafe Racer out of.

Nice bike! That is very impressive at your age to have respect for the history of the bike. Be sure to get lots of pics of your Dad and Granpa with it along with any old documents that he wants to share with you. Trust me when you get older it will be very cool to have all that.

I have just begun taking my grandson on rides, so far he is into it. The hope is that he will grow enough of an appreciation for it that it makes sense to leave it to him when the time comes.

In a bit I'll post up a picture of a round soft tail oil tank I was going to use on my bike, I went a different direction and if you like it we can talk.

Name:	IMG_1386[1].jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	95605 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1387[1].jpg 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	95606 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1388[1].jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	95607 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1389[1].jpg 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	95608 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1391[1].jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	95609
    Last edited by DoomBuggy; 07-11-2019 at 3:12 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yay! Isn't it a great feeling when you fix something? You've got a beautiful bike there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    In a bit I'll post up a picture of a round soft tail oil tank I was going to use on my bike, I went a different direction and if you like it we can talk.

Did you read where he is going to leave the bike as it is for sentimental reasons???

Get Adobe Flash player

I did , but he also started the thread saying he thought he would change some small things including the oil tank. Just trying to help out....

Get Adobe Flash player

Either a Sporty to build a 70's style Chopper, or a CB750 to build a budget Cafe Racer out of.
    CBs are pigs in the handling department (Seeley and Rickman framed conversions excepted). Cafe'ing them in the first place was popular before sportbikes were common but other than making them less comfortable isn't good for much. It sold a lot of aftermarket quarter fairings, clip-ons and seats though...

If you do a Sporty, use a five speed solid mount Evo unless you hate yourself. It's a buyers market so you can afford to get whatever you want. They also look good cafe'd.

Did you read where he is going to leave the bike as it is for sentimental reasons???
    As is, within boundaries. A few things here and there. Knuckle Bars...Round tank, small parts.

AWESOME...........

Now can you post a pic of what you did????
    I should've done that...Already put everything back together though. Wasn't anything special, just cut a wire on both sides of a connector, and jouned it with a shrink-tube butt connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    Yay! Isn't it a great feeling when you fix something? You've got a beautiful bike there.
    Thank you! Hopefully I can keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    I went to send you a PM, but it just kept refreshing instead of sending? Would you mind sending me one as to where I can just reply.
    Last edited by WidesWhitesAndCholos; 07-11-2019 at 4:42 PM.

Share This