CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: How many Over?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default How many Over?

I have a 34 degree rigid frame with 2 inch stretch in the down pipe... With a 16 inch front tire. I was thinking +2, anyone have an idea what I will need?

Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds right

Get Adobe Flash player

stock length will sit you level.

Get Adobe Flash player

Could be from a +2 to a stock. Depends on the drop of the tail section too. If it's stock height (I don't know why it would be), you may need a 4" over.

Get Adobe Flash player

So if I am running a 16 stock on the back, isn't that stock height? So I would need a +4? Thanks for thr replies...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
    So if I am running a 16 stock on the back, isn't that stock height? So I would need a +4? Thanks for thr replies...
    Not quite my man. Rigid frames have a drop in them. The rear axle sits higher up into the frame over the swing arm, if that makes sense, thus lowering the rear of the bike over stock. What brand is the rigid frame or weld on hardtail? Most common is a 2-4" drop in the rear, which would mean you probably need stock length or 2" over. For example, the 1 extra degree in your neck (usually stock is 33 I believe) plus the 2" up, would mean you'd need a 4" over at stock rear height. But if the back sits lower than stock, a +4 will make the lower tubes sit up, not flat. If it's 4" drop in the rear, with the stretch and the extra rake, you will probably need a 2" over or stock. It all depends on the rest of the geometry. The easiest way to take the math/science part out of it, is to mount your rear wheel/tire on the frame. Then block the lower legs up off the floor with 2x4s, till the lower tubes are level with the ground (with the rear tire on the ground as well). Then get a piece of pipe or a broom handle and slide it through the steering tube like it was your fork. Make sure it is straight with the tube, and as centered as possible. Roll your front wheel next to the broom handle/pipe, and mark where your center of the axle is. From there measure the axle center point to the bottom of the steering tube/cup. That will give you what length you need pretty damn close (will never be exact, but when you can only buy in 2" increments, you will be very close, just don't round down or you'll mess with the trail). From there take your measurement, and compare it to a stock length for your bike (still not sure of what the frame is for, EVO, Shovel, ect), if it is like 3.5" (for example) longer than your manual says, then a 4" over. Hope that helps!

P.S. yes, a 16" versus 18" will come into the factor too. Your best bet is always to measure just like I listed my man!
    Last edited by MileHighMurdercycle; 02-22-2011 at 4:05 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's a Kraft Tech frame. I will measure it when it get a little warmer. Just thought I might find an answer... Thanks for the input.

Get Adobe Flash player

I built a bike with a 33 degree rake and 6 up. Bought a set of 8 over tubes and it was way up in the air. I ended up putting 4 over and got the stance i wanted. I'm thinking 2 over stock will give you the ride hight you are looking for. I have found a little gives you alote in front ends. Mile high thanks for posting the info. It explains the process clearly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Toecutterp View Post
    Mile high thanks for posting the info. It explains the process clearly.
    Comin from you, that is quite a complement. Thank you sir!

I was going to say a 2" over as well, but always better to measure first! That is why I have a big twin internal neck stop set-up on my workbench, and a 7/8" one on order. Lol. Punisher, let me know if you want a internal stop set-up for that front end when you get er. Ha ha ha

Get Adobe Flash player

What is the standard length?

Get Adobe Flash player

Now that I got the feeling back in my fingers... I went out and measured from the front axle hole to the bottom of the stem is 22.25 inches.

But what I don't know is what the standard length is.

So, any more advice would be great!

Get Adobe Flash player

Default fork length

I'm running a Paughco 35 degree rake,2 inches up,16 in rear, 21 up front, with a 2" over wide glide and my front frame rails sit up 1"-2" higher than the rear. Hope this helps a little

Get Adobe Flash player

Also, I think a stock wide glide from an evo is 31" in overall length (from top of triple tree to bottom of lower legs), and 23 1/4" in tube length??? If you have a Vtwin or J&P catalogue sometimes they list it. Different year wide glides are gonna be a little different in length too. I would set my rear wheel and tire in the frame, set the frame and the ride height you want, set the front wheel in line with where your front end is gonna be (use a broomstick through the neck even), and take some measurements, at least that way you can get an idea on where you need to be. I added 1" to what I needed for motor weight. I was second guessing myself with my dimensions, but it worked out to be exactly what I wanted. Good luck!!

Get Adobe Flash player

try this www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html, it's the only fully functional rake&trail calculator on the net that i know of. it will help you get your fork length sorted out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Chopperking,
    Thanks for that post. It came to 2 1/2... So I guess I will be getting a 2 over.

GREAT LINK!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMurdercycle View Post
    Not quite my man. Rigid frames have a drop in them. The rear axle sits higher up into the frame over the swing arm, if that makes sense, thus lowering the rear of the bike over stock. What brand is the rigid frame or weld on hardtail? Most common is a 2-4" drop in the rear, which would mean you probably need stock length or 2" over. For example, the 1 extra degree in your neck (usually stock is 33 I believe) plus the 2" up, would mean you'd need a 4" over at stock rear height. But if the back sits lower than stock, a +4 will make the lower tubes sit up, not flat. If it's 4" drop in the rear, with the stretch and the extra rake, you will probably need a 2" over or stock. It all depends on the rest of the geometry. The easiest way to take the math/science part out of it, is to mount your rear wheel/tire on the frame. Then block the lower legs up off the floor with 2x4s, till the lower tubes are level with the ground (with the rear tire on the ground as well). Then get a piece of pipe or a broom handle and slide it through the steering tube like it was your fork. Make sure it is straight with the tube, and as centered as possible. Roll your front wheel next to the broom handle/pipe, and mark where your center of the axle is. From there measure the axle center point to the bottom of the steering tube/cup. That will give you what length you need pretty damn close (will never be exact, but when you can only buy in 2" increments, you will be very close, just don't round down or you'll mess with the trail). From there take your measurement, and compare it to a stock length for your bike (still not sure of what the frame is for, EVO, Shovel, ect), if it is like 3.5" (for example) longer than your manual says, then a 4" over. Hope that helps!

P.S. yes, a 16" versus 18" will come into the factor too. Your best bet is always to measure just like I listed my man!
    ok since you seem to know what your talking about lets see if i screwed up or not i just bought a no stretch 30 degree kraft tech frame and a two under dna springer and from what i could come up with i think i should run a 21 in front and 16 in rear. Does that sound about right? sitting level wise anyway? any help is greatly appreciated because im having trouble getting it rolling thanks

worn

This might help you visualize where you're going.......4" ride height hardtail, 2" stretched downtubes, 32 degrees rake, 6 over front end with 21" wheel

What about for a 23” wheel with the same 2 up and 34 rake?

Share This