CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Nevada registration question

Hoping for some insight as this has been breakin my balls for some time now

Bought a 94 fxd from CA a couple months ago. I live in NV. DMW here says if a vehicle hasnt been registered in NV its time for a VIN Inspection. Frame/Engine match but bike is stripped other than that. No turn signals, fender, front brake, horn. I dont want to invest the time or the $ to temporarily put all that stuff on, just to pass VIN, DMV also says a "peace officer" can sign off on the inspection; an avenue I've exhausted with no luck. Can anyone offer suggestions?

appreciated

bobert

Get Adobe Flash player

Have you tried any vehicle registration services?

Get Adobe Flash player

It depends on the inspector you get, but they mostly are looking to make sure that the numbers jive. That said, I have one friend who hadf his his shovel "parts bike" flagged by a DMV official. Finally got it re-registered, but it was a major pain in the ass. You might get lucky and have someone who just wants to look at the numbers, but it's up to you if you want to take the chance.

Get Adobe Flash player

Haven’t tried any of the independent dmv service. I’ll email and give them a try. Thank you!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WillSCB View Post
    It depends on the inspector you get, but they mostly are looking to make sure that the numbers jive. That said, I have one friend who hadf his his shovel "parts bike" flagged by a DMV official. Finally got it re-registered, but it was a major pain in the ass. You might get lucky and have someone who just wants to look at the numbers, but it's up to you if you want to take the chance.
    Will do you remember what the dmv told your friend when he failed inspection? Any kind of “fix by” date or anything like that? Exactly, don’t wanna take the chance if itll end up being worse than it is now

SamHain

Not sure what it like there, but I’m sure it’s easier than ca. Here for vin verification it just has to look like a motorcycle; I’ve done basic rollers: wheels, bars, frame, engine, and typically has to be done by highway patrol.

Get Adobe Flash player

They didn't give him a "fix by" date. His title had gotten stolen along with some other papers in a lock box. He went in for a new title, and was told he needed an inspection. He had had the bike for quite a few years, and simply needed a duplicate title. As it hadn't been titled in NV before, he needed the inspection. Many years back when I moved here, I registered my ironhead (with no signals) and was told by the inspector when I asked about it "That's between you and the highway patrol officer, we're just looking to make sure the numbers match up." His bike was flagged and he was unable to register it until this mess was sorted out, about a two or three year process involving numerous trips to the DMV. Like I said, I personally wouldn't chance it. Even if they aren't wired to anything, they won't ask you to show that they aren't working as long as they are on there, so just attaching the signals (maybe put a bicycle horn or bell on it. As silly as it sounds, it meets the requirements) will avoid headaches for you. Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

For a Speedometer, I've heard of guys passing with a GPS pedal bike unit. I agree with WillSCB about putting on signals and not wiring them up. Makes it a lot easier for them to pretend they didn't notice.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a stripped down Sporty chop that had to go through a VIN inspection. I got really lucky because I went to the DMV on Sahara & Eastern and the inspector was some crotchety old man that was more annoyed about stepping out of his A/C'd box to "inspect" my bike than anything else. He just took a small piece of white paper and traced my VIN with a pencil, signed the form and I was done. I made sure to walk my bike in and out of the inspection area so he wouldn't bitch about my loud open pipes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WillSCB View Post
    They didn't give him a "fix by" date. His title had gotten stolen along with some other papers in a lock box. He went in for a new title, and was told he needed an inspection. He had had the bike for quite a few years, and simply needed a duplicate title. As it hadn't been titled in NV before, he needed the inspection. Many years back when I moved here, I registered my ironhead (with no signals) and was told by the inspector when I asked about it "That's between you and the highway patrol officer, we're just looking to make sure the numbers match up." His bike was flagged and he was unable to register it until this mess was sorted out, about a two or three year process involving numerous trips to the DMV. Like I said, I personally wouldn't chance it. Even if they aren't wired to anything, they won't ask you to show that they aren't working as long as they are on there, so just attaching the signals (maybe put a bicycle horn or bell on it. As silly as it sounds, it meets the requirements) will avoid headaches for you. Good luck.
    Will thank you for the insight & advice. Now the only problem is figuring out the front brake situation

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    For a Speedometer, I've heard of guys passing with a GPS pedal bike unit. I agree with WillSCB about putting on signals and not wiring them up. Makes it a lot easier for them to pretend they didn't notice.

I like your speedo idea too, didn’t even think of that.

Share This