Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlbertaFarmer
    • Sep 2013

2000 Sportster Rear Wheel Alignment

Hey everyone. I've been riding this 2000 Sportster for the last 40000 miles or so. I put a 12 over on the front, and went from 15" rear shocks to 13.5" rear shocks. I'm looking for 12.5" shocks second hand, and in the meantime, I'd like to run a pair of 10.5" struts, which I ran years ago. I can't say for sure, but I think I recall running the struts with an Avon Cobra back there, which is what I've got on now.

I went to install the 10.5" struts, and the tire rubs hard on the sprocket side, against the fender, with about 3/4" space on the brake side. It seems I may have lost something along the way, as it used to fit alright. I tried to show how far offset it is in these two pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1344889

Name:	Axle3.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1344890

The next two pictures show how my axle is set up. From the Brake side, it goes: Cotter Pin, Axle nut, washer, swingarm, brake caliper, short spacer, wheel, long spacer, swingarm, axle head.

Name:	Axle4.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1345349

Name:	Axle1.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1345350

This is a picture of the Harley manual diagram for a cast rear wheel.

Name:	Axle5.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1345351
    Number 17 is inside the wheel, right? I believe I do have 8 and 13. Is there anything besides a missing part that could cause this?
  • Down
    • Jan 2016

Well, if it's not in the spacing I think your fender might be crooked. I've helped a friend who was going crazy trying to space his wheel and had it right all the time, the fender on his bike had a crack by one of the mounting holes and was tweaked because of that.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
      • Sep 2013

Thanks for the idea, Down. I checked the fender all over, looks good and sits square in the struts. It is a different, newly installed fender. But it's off a Sportster of the same year and in mint condition, some lady pulled the tins after a few miles. I've taken everything apart, cleaned and inspected. I am going to put it all back together now, will update soon.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Check your swingarm bearings/ bushings and be sure the swingarm is not bent.

Jim

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by JBinNC
          Check your swingarm bearings/ bushings and be sure the swingarm is not bent.

Jim
          This is what I'm worried about now. It looks as though the bottom section of the axle adjuster slot may be bent in towards the wheel. I can't see how this would cause the wheel to shift to the sprocket side, but I've taken pictures:

Name:	axleruler.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1311587

Name:	axlebent.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1311588

I happen to have another Sportster frame with the swingarm. I bought the frame real cheap, with no background info. The neck has been raked, and appears to have taken a front end collision. That swingarm looks alright to me, but the rear end of it (behind axle adjusters) measures roughly 2mm narrower than the one I am working with. I may very well have over torqued the axle in the past.

I went to put it all back together and noticed something note-worthy. The following pictures were taken with the axle and spacers in place, but not tightened at all. If you look at the pulley side, everything sits tight. But on the brake side, there is a sizeable gap between the spacer and the swingarm. I'm not sure what would cause the swingarm to bend outwards on this side.

Name:	axleright.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1311589

Name:	axleleft.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1311590

What do you fellas think of placing a 3/4" grade 8 washer between the pulley side spacer and the swingarm?

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
            • Sep 2013

This is the bike in question, in case anybody was curious. Everything in the rear end is stock, except the struts.

Name:	Wholebike.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1311591

We're looking at a week of straight rain, so I rolled it into a storage tent to work on. I sure appreciate everyone's help.

I should also mention, I had the 13.5 factory rear shocks on and rode a few miles like that. It would have been just as far over, but tall enough to not have clearance issues. Rode fine to me, so I'm hoping to keep this swingarm in place.
            Last edited by AlbertaFarmer; 06-20-2019, 5:51 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

HD swingarms are designed to flex out 1/16 - 1/8 inch when the axle nut is loosened (and pull in when it's tightened). That is to make it easy to remove the rear wheel.
              These rectangular section swingarms are prone to twisting as well as parallelograming. (Shovel swingarms are BAD about twisting.) Either type of damage will affect the wheel location in the chassis. XLs like yours have a paired Timken on the drive side and a bushing on the other. Damage will affect the location of the swingarm.

Jim

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by JBinNC
                HD swingarms are designed to flex out 1/16 - 1/8 inch when the axle nut is loosened (and pull in when it's tightened). That is to make it easy to remove the rear wheel.
                These rectangular section swingarms are prone to twisting as well as parallelograming. (Shovel swingarms are BAD about twisting.) Either type of damage will affect the wheel location in the chassis. XLs like yours have a paired Timken on the drive side and a bushing on the other. Damage will affect the location of the swingarm.

Jim
                Thanks a lot, man. I am going to put it all back together as it is. I assume it will come out the same as last time, and if it does, I will look into swapping swingarms with my spare.

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
                  • Sep 2013

Well, Gentlemen, I don't know. Put it all back together, cleaned, inspected and greased each part. This time, it sits MUCH closer to center. There is still a slight offset to the pulley side, but nothing compared to before. I remember when I first bought this thing, 30000 miles ago, it favored that side slightly. JBinNC, I think you are probably correct on the slightly tweeked swingarm. But, it has run alright this way for that long, so I'll try it on the road and see if it all seems good. I must have had something jacked up the last time, for it to be so far over.

I really appreciate the help guys, it's great to have knowledgeable folk to bounce ideas around with.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;