Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sgilliesjr
    • Aug 2010

Compromised clutch basket???

So, I have a Baker 4 speed splined main shaft that uses a latter splined clutch hub as well as a Baker TTP primary for a kick only. I was originally going to order a Baker clutch but I was told that they are having supply chain issues getting the material to make them and there is no date when they will be available if at all. If anyone knows of a clutch I can order that will bolt in let me know.
    I do have a stock clutch (PN 37707-98A) which fits the main shaft but the starter ring gear hits the primary. I removed the starter ring gear and the mounting boss cast into the basket still contacts the primary. I turned the boss down ~0.550" and there is still ~0.100 of material left and it has plenty of clearance now. Looking at the basket it seems really sketchy weak which has me wondering if the ring gear or boss provided any type of structural support to the basket as the force is transferred through the basket. I am not an engineer and would probably get laughed at by a professional engineer with the amount of overthinking and over engineering of everything. Anyways has any one done this before or have any thoughts on whether or not the basket is now compromised.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sgilliesjr; 06-20-2019, 1:05 PM.
  • sgilliesjr
    • Aug 2010

Here are some better pics to give an idea of how much material was removed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7246.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	1311455
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7247.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	1311456

Comment

• sgilliesjr
      • Aug 2010

posted June of last year? Anyone?

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Cylinders are quite strong under torsion. I'd run it and give it a chance. The remaining material is stronger than other cross-sections of the basket you did not machine like the "fingers" of the basket.

How thick is the primary? There was enough meat on my Delkron to mill chain clearance to make mismatched parts work where my primary chain was dragging, but that was with a 1997 basket and I don't have a basket collection to compare and contrast.

Baker will have a dimensioned drawing of their clutch somewhere and may be nice enough to share so you could contact other clutch makers. Shit ain't secret since they can all afford to buy each others products.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;