Rebuilding my S&S Shovel... That was invaded by idiots at some point in time.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Jakerz
    Ah ok I got ya. Yeah the jugs look great! Thinking I'm gonna order a set of case bolts from Diamond Engineering, was thinking of going with a 12 point bolt look on everything. Need to order some 12 point tappet block bolts... more money's lol

Jake
    Make sure they know it's for an S&S motor case ..
    Top case bolt is not a 5/16" as the Oem was, S&S uses a 1/4" between the jugs ....
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Jakerz
      • Mar 2019

Yup, they have a kit for Evo cases, which should be the same as the cases I have according to the part numbers I looked up.

Jake

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Yup, they have a kit for Evo cases .... ??

Jake
        Better talk to a salesman ..

Comment

• Jakerz
          • Mar 2019

The place is in Daytona so I'm gonna ride over and pick them up for sure and double check.

I put in the part numbers on my cases on S&S's website and they come up as Evo cases though, lol. I dont guess it matters as long as the top bolt is 1/4"?

Jake

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

Ready for action ...

What we have here is .....

Jim's 48 to 52 solid tappets ...
            Being we don't need oil going to them, I used 48-52 gaskets that don't have a hole to feed oil to a hyd unit...
            Could have threaded the case or the tappet blocks and installed set screws to block off the oil supply, but the hole-less gaskets will suffice.

Pushrods are S&S Chromoly that are made for the 48-52 tappets, but with having the 3/8" ball ends for Shovel rocker arms ....
            Last edited by Dragstews; 08-22-2019, 3:23 AM.

Comment

• Jakerz
              • Mar 2019

Looking good Jesse! I take it that everything fits and you don't need to trim anything on the pistons?

I picked up some goodies from Diamond Engineering today, these are gonna look SWEEEET! They also make some 12 point acorn nuts for the jugs that I'm going to pick up. Everything on the motor is gonna be 12 point lol.

Jake

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

That being Stainless will last forever ....

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Dragstews
                  That being Stainless will last forever ....
                  That being good grade stainless should last forever. Cheap stainless is inferior to Grade 5.

Comment

• Jakerz
                    • Mar 2019

Everything they sell is supposed to be stronger than grade 8 so hopefully, they'll hold up lol

Jake

Comment

• 69Glide
                      • Jun 2016

Looking good Jesse! I take it that everything fits and you don't need to trim anything on the pistons?

I picked up some goodies from Diamond Engineering today, these are gonna look SWEEEET! They also make some 12 point acorn nuts for the jugs that I'm going to pick up. Everything on the motor is gonna be 12 point lol.

Jake
                      Look real close at the cylinder base nut clearance on those big bore cylinders before you try for 12 point nuts. Can't tell for sure from the pics but it looks like they are S&S big bore cylinders and there will not be room for a 7/16" 12 point nut - about the only base nut that works on those cylinders is the nut supplied by S&S for that application..

Comment

• Jakerz
                        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by 69Glide
                        Look real close at the cylinder base nut clearance on those big bore cylinders before you try for 12 point nuts. Can't tell for sure from the pics but it looks like they are S&S big bore cylinders and there will not be room for a 7/16" 12 point nut - about the only base nut that works on those cylinders is the nut supplied by S&S for that application..
                        Hmm, good to know! I'll see what the diameter is before I buy them for sure, I think they're actually the same diameter as their 1/2" nuts, just threaded 7/16 so they may be way to big. I was planning on the stainless S&S nuts before I found these so I may just have to go with those.

Jake

Comment

• 69Glide
                          • Jun 2016

Hmm, good to know! I'll see what the diameter is before I buy them for sure, I think they're actually the same diameter as their 1/2" nuts, just threaded 7/16 so they may be way to big. I was planning on the stainless S&S nuts before I found these so I may just have to go with those.

Jake
                          Just wanted to mention it - I've built several big bore shovels for folks and this comes up now and then. S&S barrels are very beefy and there is not clearance for any nut other than the tall 6 point one they provide.. Same issue with the head bolts - but they are already 12 pt stainless...

Flange diameter on the nut will be about 11/16" - way too big to clear the barrel, and don't even think about relieving the barrel for clearance. They are beefy for a reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-23 111521.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1312751

Best of luck - it will be a good motor if ya do it right!!

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

I'm with that ^^ Guy ..... ��

We both have a oar in the water from the same boat ..
                            Last edited by Dragstews; 08-23-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Installed a new cam bearing and thought to do a quick check on the breather timing.
                              The motor case and the breather gear are made by S&S, but we do have a new cam going in... Most likely all the specks will be on the money, but wanted to see for myself ...

Open timing is 5* ATDC

Closing is 90* ABTC
                              These specks falls right where they need to be, no mods are needed ....
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 08-27-2019, 3:08 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

Love these short skirt pistons .... No Problems here ...

Even the Fat H-Beam Rods have room to swing ....

Now that those checks are out of the way, it's time to finish the balancing ....
                                Last edited by Dragstews; 08-28-2019, 3:10 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;