CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 9 of 14 First ... 7891011 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

nope, those blocks are oem and the new lifters are oversize.
    i tuned that ugly carb and got his clutch all set tonight.
    carb looks awsome and has snap

Get Adobe Flash player

Trying to dial in this carburetor and let me preface this with saying when it was on my shovel it ran perfectly other than the wandering idle all because of the worn throttle shaft when I put it on this Panhead it ran fine the only changes are the switch from a velocity stack to an air cleaner and chrome.

Starts fine idles well has a slight hesitancy and break up when blipping the throttle I go for a ride and it wants to hesitate at low rpm’s kind of sort of cleans up a little bit in the mid range and when I accelerate past 2500 rpm’s it doesn’t have the acceleration it should and it sounds like it’s sputtering a bit

I swapped out the 72 main jet for a 74 and it made no difference so I went down to a 70 and that actually made it worse. So I put the 72 back in.

The plugs looked a bit dark with a 72 but that seems to be where it kind of runs the best

During all of my tuning I also went for a short ride I rode from my shop to home, came out a half hour later gas is dripping out of the carburetor. It appears I have a stuck float or the needle that shuts off the fuel valve isn’t doing its job.

I pulled the plugs kicked it over and gas came shooting out of the front spark plug hole. I removed the float bowl everything seem to be working I lowered the flow level just a hair put it all back together and started it up and stood back 10 feet while it idled in case it burst into flames ha ha

I rode it back to the shop trying to get clean acceleration but it breaks up and and If I feed it throttle in the tiniest increments it will slowly work its way up to 50 or 60 miles an hour.

I’ve then rode it a couple miles down the road to my favorite barbecue place had dinner came out gave it a couple kicks nothing. I stood the bike straight up and again gas comes pouring out of the air cleaner. Same routine again pulled plugs removed float bowl no gas shooting out of the spark plug this time maybe it didn’t sit long enough but this time I actually turned off the fuel. I had already sat down at the bar and realized well last time I parked it leaked gas so I ran out and turned it off after a few minutes but I guess that was enough to flood the carburetor

Got it fired up rode it back to the shop and parked it in disgust.

I don’t know if I’m barking up the wrong tree messing with the jetting if it ran fine before it should run fine now what I’m thinking of doing is putting the velocity stack back on maybe this 5 inch round air filter is the culprit? Although I don’t know how it could be.

At the mouth of this carburetor where the backing plate for the air filter bolts I don’t know if I’m blocking some sort of air bleed or something?

And as far as the carburetor float the little piece that the float pushes into the fuel inlet to stop the fuel has a flat top on it and I took apart a super B I had lying around and the fuel stop on that actually has a pointed rubber tip I am going to swap that one in to see if that will shut off the fuel

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

And on another note while I was sputtering around town I noticed that the carburetor had heavy condensation on the body I guess that’s due to being chrome now? It was 90į and humid as hell but that carburetor body was cool to the touch and covered with condensation. More clues!

I’m working today but when I’m done I’ll take some pictures of the fuel inlet shut off pieces that I have and maybe a video of it breaking up as I go through the RPM range
    Last edited by Bbqbiker; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:09 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Air cleaner backing plate

Backing plate off, this is the throttle tube spacer/adaptor

Carb intake

This same setup was on prev bike. That hole on the intake side of the carburetor was blocked previously and is also blocked with the current set up so I don’t think that does anything negative

Fuel shut off on the left is from a Super B the one on the right came out of the GBL
    They are not compatible the Super B one is a larger diameter and is also shorter

Float Level

Blowing compressed air into the fuel inlet and then manually shutting it by raising the float does not let air pass so it is working
    Last edited by Bbqbiker; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:17 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wtf did u do this time, it was running pissa after i adjusted it, so hows it go to shit. Owait. You put your hands on it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    Wtf did u do this time, it was running pissa after i adjusted it, so hows it go to shit. Owait. You put your hands on it.

Hey genius you rode it 500 feet and then declared “you’re going to need to fine-tune it“ yeah no shit. But the clutch is perfect buddy! Dealing with two issues the fuel shut off which I just disassembled and checked and it’s working fine and why is it not running like it was before? Can going from a velocity stack to a simple air cleaner cause it to run so shitty? Starting & idle are fine. Seems to need more fuel but going richer on the jetting made no difference. You would think going from a velocity stack to a simple air cleaner if anything would’ve made it run a little better?

But it looks good with this other air cleaner. The cover pops off without any tools so I’m gonna keep this on until I solve the fuel situation 100%

Last edited by Bbqbiker; 4 Weeks Ago at 7:58 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

You are a dip shit. It ran awsome, had punch.
    Nope you are a smegmatoid ewok killing heathen

Get Adobe Flash player

I leak check single problem carbs and all multiple carbs off the bike before installation so I can fondle and position them freely and play with float levels.

Get Adobe Flash player

I left the gas shut off on overnight stopped in at the shop this morning realized what I did pulled the plugs kicked it over again gas come shooting out of spark plug holes I am now changing the oil because it has to be filled with gas by now. I guess I need a new fuel shut off piece and lap the hole a bit? Dragstews recommended a soft abrasive such as my favorite Tom’s of Maine toothpaste.

Has anyone ever drilled and tapped their exhaust pipes for a fuel overflow release? I can’t be the first ha ha. When this happened the other day I’m sure I had half a pint of gas sitting in the bottom of the front pipe just waiting for the fire department to respond

Drags let me know what S&S says about the fuel shut off I need to get one of those things ASAP

This mornings feel dump

https://youtu.be/NmEZW_j-Xu4
    Last edited by Bbqbiker; 3 Weeks Ago at 8:40 AM.

Need a fuel drain on the INTAKE .

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh Boy ....

Called S&S and asked them why I didn't get a needle & seat in the Master rebuild kit that I ordered from them...
    The Kit # in their cat has a part # 11-2900...
    It shows that the needle & seat is included in the kit ....
    But S&S said that they are no longer available, reason why it didn't come in the kit and had to reuse the OG one that was in the carb...

I pulled the needle & seat along with the float from the carb bowl and put em in a box till it was time to reinstall them, no mods was done to em, none.

Looked for the needle & seat in the W&W cat... They don't show it available either ...
    Got a inquiry in to them, so far they haven't got back to me ...

But, they do offer the intermediate jets .. (Made in Japan)

Check out this Video ...

Last edited by Dragstews; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:41 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I’ve got everything but the Q-tips in the shop I will try this later thanks for the help!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Have you thought about smelling in your oil tank for gas???????? Gas sure will break down oil very quickly.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Have you thought about smelling in your oil tank for gas???????? Gas sure will break down oil very quickly.....
    Drained the oil tank pull the plugs kick the bike 1000 times to make sure all the oil was being pumped out of the crankcase drained it all filled it with fresh Lucas 20/50

Going to do the Q-tip polishing routine and see what happens

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's an idea ...

V-T offers this ....

VT No: 35-0980
    Carburetor float bowl assembly includes float, needle and seat, pivot pin with arm, float gasket, and brass plug with gasket to fit all "L" series S&S carburetors, 1-7/8" GAL, 1-3/4" GBL.
    Sifton carburetor bowl is a replacement for the 1972-1975 style float bowl. Fuel is top feed, float is Nitrophyl with forged arm. Needle, seat, fuel fitting gasket and screws included. The gasket measures 3-1/16" x 9/16".
    Fits:
    Replacement application for S&S "L" series carburetor ....

You may be able to use these parts in your OG bowl .... ???
    Would be a up-grade being the float is Nitrophyl and the needle is rubber tipped ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Just ordered it on Amazon $135 I’ll have it in two days. Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

So I did the whole polishing routine with the fuel needle and seat and guess what it worked. No more leaks and all the jetting problems I thought I was dealing with are no longer there it was the float bowl overflowing the whole time that caused the bike to run shitty.
    Went for a test ride and it runs just like it did when it was on my Shovel. Thanks dragstews and everyone else for your helpful comments and suggestions I’m back on the road!

Get Adobe Flash player

.../// https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a4f009f...e-f76b72ac31bd \\\...

.../// https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8eba9b5...9-b8773a81d634 \\\...

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    You are a dip shit.
    Say what ... ???
    Last edited by Dragstews; 3 Weeks Ago at 5:20 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Q ......

Didn't you order the V-T bowl .... ???

If my math is right that means you now have two bowls ....

Ain't that right .... 1 + 1 = 2 ... ???

Bear with me..... I'm going somewhere with this ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    Hey Q ......

Didn't you order the V-T bowl .... ???

If my math is right that means you now have two bowls ....

Ain't that right .... 1 + 1 = 2 ... ???

Bear with me..... I'm going somewhere with this ...
    Yes....it’s on the way.......what exactly are you scheming here Mr??? I have a feeling I’m sending a bowl to be chromed...

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's what I have in mind ....

I can get just the dual bowl plate by it's self ....

The bowl that you have coming does not have S&S casted in on it ... It's "Plain Jane" ....

The plan:
    Gut it out with no float, just use the S&S bowl that is working great and install plugs in the V-T bowl...
    Send that bowl to B-peek for some engraving.... Bat-woman's tits or anything you have in mind, then send it to the chrome shop ...

Install it first in line then the S&S bowl closest to the motor....
    We would want to see Bat-woman's tits before the S&S logo ....

(At least I would want too) .. ..
    Last edited by Dragstews; 3 Weeks Ago at 3:36 AM.

Share This