Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickthrash99
    • Jan 2019

shovelhead on kraft tech

whats up guys this is for anyone whos running or knows someone running a kraft tech shovel with a softtail 5 speed, whats the set up yall got inside the primary or if you got an open belt id like to know, cheers
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by rickthrash99
    whats up guys this is for anyone whos running or knows someone running a kraft tech shovel with a softtail 5 speed, whats the set up yall got inside the primary or if you got an open belt id like to know, cheers
    It's been done 1000s of times.... Nothing special.....

But first you need to give us way more info.. For one thing ....... What year parts are you working with?????

We don't read minds here.......
    Last edited by Tattooo; 06-15-2019, 1:09 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by rickthrash99
      anyone whos running or knows someone running a kraft tech shovel
      What's a kraft tech shovel???

Comment

• Hoghead
        • Jun 2015

I don't know, but oddly , I have a shovel in a rigid frame with an evo primary and five speed box, that i'd like to put into a Kraft tec swingarm frame. If the o.p is doing the same, i'm interested..

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Hoghead:
          Unbolt drivetrain, bolt into swingarm frame. Remove or alter any obstacles in the trans/primary area. Everything on Evos is better than what came on Shovels so it's all win. If one of my Shovel gearboxes shits the bed it will be replaced with a late Softail trans, starter and primary.

Stock Shovel swingarm frames require notching of the transmission case to clear the swingarm. Aftermarket frames likely don't but we can't see shit without pics. It's faster on your end to just do it and post if any questions. You have both frames so matchup will be easy.

As for OPs question, the year Shovel engine affects what you can run.

Comment

• Hoghead
            • Jun 2015

^^Cheers Farmall!

Comment

• rickthrash99
              • Jan 2019

awesome guys im still getting used to posting on this forum, but this is my set up
              kraft tech 1 1/4 frame
              75 shovel
              86 5 speed trans
              94- primary

Comment

• rickthrash99
                • Jan 2019

i bought the shovel engine with a 1.5 open belt drive pully

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

94 inner and outer primary covers and drive complete? Got a starter? If so what kind?

You can bore the 1986 trans case starter hole (on a milling machine, the larger hole needs to be concentric with the original) to take the 1994 style Denso starter which is far better then the old shit. I'd buy a takeout later spline shaft five speed trans complete to install in that case, or get a later Evo Softail box with the splined shaft to skip that and starter hole boring. That lets you run a later Softail primary drive.

Post some clear, well lit PHOTOS to help us help you. Show all the parts. Taking the time to do that can save you $$.
                  Last edited by farmall; 06-15-2019, 7:34 PM.

Comment

• rickthrash99
                    • Jan 2019

[IMG]imagebam.com[/IMG]

Comment

• rickthrash99
                      • Jan 2019

[IMG]imagebam.com[/IMG]

Comment

• rickthrash99
                        • Jan 2019

[IMG]imagebam.com[/IMG]

Comment

• rickthrash99
                          • Jan 2019

[IMG]imagebam.com[/IMG]

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Good thing you posted pics!

That transmission has a splined shaft and large starter hole so it's later than 1986 which is very good news. It uses the excellent Denso starter which permits using a pushbutton solenoid end cover which bypasses the starter control wiring, pushbutton and starter relay. BTW if you score a used starter most of them get replaced for fried solenoid contacts which are very easy and cheap to replace. New ones are reasonable.

Do NOT buy the stupid stock starter jack shaft. Get an aftermarket one-piece. All Balls make good ones.

If there's room in that frame for a rear drive belt I'd run one because chain maintenance and chain/sprocket replacement sucks but you can get conversion sprockets if you wish. If you can download a Softail service manual and parts catalog that will show you how the primary drive and transmission go together. There are many clutch choices but stock is sufficient for a stock-ish Shovel. Do you have any primary drive parts?

I would eventually replace the throwout bearing with a larger Baker part but that can be done any time later.

I gotta crash right now but if you've more parts you've questions about keep posting pics.

EDIT: Your transmission cover is missing a vent tube fitting.
                            HD part number is 62375-57A
                            Fits a 5/16" hose. Thread size is 1/8" NPT so you can likely find one at your hardware store.
                            Last edited by farmall; 06-15-2019, 9:10 PM.

Comment

• rickthrash99
                              • Jan 2019

farmal the denso is great im riding an 84 ironhead that has the same starter set up i believe except the stater engage seems way shorter im running that push button on my ironhead. im planning on running a rear belt my tranny is set up for that already im taking that as a sign.haha

i have zero primary drive parts but some dude is selling me a chaindrive for super cheap, idk if i should go that route

thanks man i got up close and personal and seen iwas missing that

ill be asking more questions man thankyou

im from los angeles and building a harley is the only way icould seem to afford one.haha

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;