CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Loose Kicker Pedal

Hey folks, hope everyone's doing well.

I installed a Baker kicker cover setup on my '80 FLH this past weekend. The baker pedal's backordered so I'm using a bicycle pedal from J&P for the moment. The thing works well (though I need to work on my kick technique) but I ran into a problem that seems to be common: the pedal flying open when riding, then getting in the way once you're stopped. I tried bending the spring washer, inserting another shim washer (too thick), wasn't getting it. Stumbled onto a cheap solution, though: picked up a 1/2" stainless external tooth lock washer at Home Depot, put it on top of the pedal, ditched the spring washer and tightened it up. Works like a champ, firm hold, but still rotates out when you firmly grab it. So, easy fix and it's working. Will add a pic in a minute.

JohnClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Kicker DSC00766.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	94795
    Last edited by jdmboyd; 06-13-2019 at 8:52 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jdmboyd View Post
    The baker pedal's backordered so I'm using a bicycle pedal from J&P for the moment. The thing works well (though I need to work on my kick technique) but I ran into a problem that seems to be common: the pedal flying open when riding, then getting in the way once you're stopped.
    Yep that's very common some do some don't..... But it doesn't bother me it just gives me something to do when I stop at a red light....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jdmboyd View Post
    Hey folks, hope everyone's doing well.

I installed a Baker kicker cover setup on my '80 FLH this past weekend. The baker pedal's backordered so I'm using a bicycle pedal from J&P for the moment. The thing works well (though I need to work on my kick technique) but I ran into a problem that seems to be common: the pedal flying open when riding, then getting in the way once you're stopped. I tried bending the spring washer, inserting another shim washer (too thick), wasn't getting it. Stumbled onto a cheap solution, though: picked up a 1/2" stainless external tooth lock washer at Home Depot, put it on top of the pedal, ditched the spring washer and tightened it up. Works like a champ, firm hold, but still rotates out when you firmly grab it. So, easy fix and it's working. Will add a pic in a minute.

JohnClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Kicker DSC00766.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	94795
    a rat tail file on top of pedal in closed position, file a slight groove........
    i dont cause I fidget with my pedals that open LOL

Would the rat tail file fall off the top of the pedal while riding? Maybe you could duct tape it on?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by flatman View Post
    Would the rat tail file fall off the top of the pedal while riding? Maybe you could duct tape it on?
    No you slightly file the top of the kicker pedal , so the shim rests in it when the pedal is stowed

Get Adobe Flash player

No worries that star washer will shortly wear its own groove lol

Share This