Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidW
    • Nov 2016

SU on my Pan?

I've just about got my 57 panhead chopper the way I want it but having some second thoughts about keeping the GAL carb on it. With the forward controls its killing my knee. Was thinking about changing to an SU Eliminator 2 I've got. My question is should I look for an elbow to face it forward or just run it straight out the side?
    Attached Files
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

Get the elbow. Looks cool and gives you a bunch more leg room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1311247

Comment

• DavidW
      • Nov 2016

Thanks rockman96! Good looking shovel! Now all I have to do is find one...

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

My L isn't in the way of my leg even with the breather on it.....

What intake are you running???
        Attached Files

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
          My L isn't in the way of my leg even with the breather on it.....

What intake are you running???
          Yeah, you are probably running a straight?

Mines upswept, and before the elbow I had to ride with my leg contorted. It sucked.

DavidW... you would probably be running a straight manifold. With that tank you have gobs of room, no need for an upswept... the elbow still looks cool as hell tho.
          Last edited by rockman96; 06-12-2019, 4:45 AM.

Comment

• DavidW
            • Nov 2016

The L is running the standard S&S intake. I think it has to do with the seat size and position. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_001415.jpg
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	1311254
            This is the intake I have for the SU
            Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2244667365616872.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1311255

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

How tall are you??? That could be some of it.....

Comment

• WillSCB
                • Dec 2014

I would try it without the elbow and see how it sits. The manifold you have is upswept, and is intended for bikes with fatbob tanks so the carb sits lower and tucks in closer. If it is still sticking out some, you can still add the elbow onto it pretty easily. I used to have an SU on my shovel stroker with the elbow on it. It ran pretty well, especially at higher RPM's, but the trade off was that the length of the intake tract made it a bit of a bitch to kickstart. Might not be a big problem for someone with an electric starter, but I had kick only. Like I said, mock it up and see how it sits.

Comment

• DavidW
                  • Nov 2016

Tattoo, I'm 6'. The picture is with my youngest brother, a little shorter than me. As I said before, the seat i have may play a big part in this. If i remember right, its only 10". A longer seat might move me back enough. Just have to see how it all plays out and look at my options.

WillSCB, I'll try it with the manifold and see how it works out. I'd have to find the elbow anyway, if I decide to go that route.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DavidW
                    Tattoo, I'm 6'. The picture is with my youngest brother, a little shorter than me. As I said before, the seat i have may play a big part in this. If i remember right, its only 10". A longer seat might move me back enough. Just have to see how it all plays out and look at my options.
                    Yes your seat is way to far forward if your that tall........ Get rid of the sprung seat..... That will get your leg below the carb some.... The way it is now your leg is almost over the carb.....

Comment

• rockman96
                      • May 2018

Originally posted by WillSCB
                      I used to have an SU on my shovel stroker with the elbow on it. It ran pretty well, especially at higher RPM's, but the trade off was that the length of the intake tract made it a bit of a bitch to kickstart.
                      I ran kick only for several years... 96", SU with elbow as shown in pic, and it was a one or two kick bike almost every time. Occasionally it would embarrass me.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by rockman96
                        I ran kick only for several years... 96", SU with elbow as shown in pic, and it was a one or two kick bike almost every time. Occasionally it would embarrass me.

Yes sir, and the more people around the more it will do that..... If your by yourself it's a one kick bike.....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;