CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default Any experience with Jims Shovelhead Tappet Kit?

Apparently it re-engineers oiling for the top end and oils similar to an automobile.

The Part:

http://www.jimsusa.com/pdf/instructi...ts/1046-IS.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/JIMS-SHOVELHE.../dp/B000GV0L70

The claims:
    Shovelhead owners, "clean up your act," with JIMSŪnewvalve train kit. This totally re-engineered valve train kitwill enable you to oil your Shovelhead top end like anEVO.

You can remove your top end oil lines because oilis fed through JIMSŪproven Powerglide tappets, thenup through work saver pushrods into JIMSŪRollerRocker Arms. Tappets maintain oil pressure better, andthey improve the lubrication because oil is now pressur-ized through the points of contact.

Oil pressure to thetop end is controlled just like the proven EVO oil system.This kit comes with super special Powerglide™ tappets with an EVO style pushrod seat, special worksaver pushrods, chrome tappet blocks, two tappet block gaskets, and an easy to follow instruction sheet
    Thoughts?

Jim's hydraulic tappets have a very uneven service record. Their early offerings for shovels were not very good (I had two sets when they first came out, neither set worked properly in two different motors.) Now their quality has deteriorated again;I would steer clear of them.

Jim

Understood..

Thank you.

My cam, lifters and blocks are all worn. The pushrods have been vice gripped and look like junk. I'm sure they aren't straight.

Any products experienced builders recommend?

http://shop.velvatouchlifters.com/

And a set of .....

S&S Forged Roller Rocker Arms for 1966-1984 Harley Shovelhead ..

Those are interesting.. One place I did have wear I could see with the naked eye when pulling the heads off were the valve tips.

Is the EVO oil scheme superior on a shovelhead?
    Last edited by confab; 06-08-2019 at 2:40 PM.

Take a photo and post it...

All of us like to look ....

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    Those are interesting.. One place I did have wear I could see with the naked eye when pulling the heads off were the valve tips.

Is the EVO oil scheme superior on a shovelhead?
    No. You cannot use through the pushrod oiling with stock shovel rocker arms, as the rocker arm has no provision for oiling the bushings from the pushrod cup. If you did an evo conversion and kept the stock rocker arms, you would have to keep the stock oil lines as well.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    Understood..

Thank you.

My cam, lifters and blocks are all worn. The pushrods have been vice gripped and look like junk. I'm sure they aren't straight.

Any products experienced builders recommend?
    I'm gonna try to address this question, but it might get a little long. Tappets have been discussed ad nauseam on the Shovelhead Forum, you should go there and look back through the "Engine" threads. And do try to join if you are not already a member. Hard to do, but new members occasionally slip past the goalie.

OK, as of June, 2019, here's what's available, as far as I know:

For aftermarket hydraulic tappets, VelvaTouch is the top shelf product $$$. BUT, Dave is only making evo cam conversion sets for shovels now, so you also need an evo cam.

Next, for hydraulic tappets, is the S&S evo conversion kit $$$$$. Comes with everything, but I have paid less for complete shovelhead MOTORCYCLES!

Jim's hydraulic tappets we have already touched on, very uneven quality control. But, Jim's makes a beautiful set of aluminum tappet blocks for shovels.

Vulcan makes a hydraulic tappet kit for shovels, but be warned that the included tappet blocks have some mistakes of geometry in the manufacturing, at least in some, that will cause motor damage.

There are Chinese mfg. hydraulic tappets out there under several labels including Sifton and Ultima that are the worse sort of JUNK possible, and you definitely want to STAY AWAY!

OK, that's the aftermarket hydraulic tappets available as I understand it, today.

Jim

Now, what else is there?

For hydraulic tappets, S&S sells the original Eaton made hydraulic tappet insert for shovels, which is the same one Eaton supplied to HD back when. Crane used to sell this same unit, and S&S acquired the rights to this piece when they bought Crane's motorcycle product line. If you can find new old stock Crane hydraulic tappets, they are good. In both cases, S&S and Crane, they offer the stock style tappet body to go with the hydraulic insert, and they are good pieces.

There are some Japanese made hydraulic tappet inserts as well, sold by Drag Specialties and others, but I cannot comment on the quality as I have little experience of them.

These stock style hydraulic tappet inserts, and even used HD pieces, can perform well with cams of up to .450 lift. One set up that works well is an Andrews A grind with the stock hydraulic tappets. Andrews assured me that even though the A grind is listed as a solid cam, it will work fine, and it does.

Jim
    Last edited by JBinNC; 06-08-2019 at 5:43 PM.

Share This