CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default A 11-1/2" brake rotor for an old AMF mag front wheel?

I've been trying to hunt down a brake rotor for this front wheel for a really long time, with no luck. It's AMF PN 43499-78 and apparently it was on FXRs from 82-83 and sportsters from 78-83 but I think in all applications it used a 10" rotor. I have a 1997 sportster 1200 custom front end (minus the 21" stock spoked wheel) and it used a 11-1/2" rotor.

I've ridden this bike for a few years with no front brake and no issues but now I'm trying to set it up for my girlfriend to use and I'd like to have a front brake on it.

The flange on the wheel appears to be 2-3/8" diameter. All the rotors I've found or bought have been 2-1/4" or 2". Machine shops all want way too much $ to modify one. I'd rather buy a different used wheel than pay the prices they're asking.

You will have to have the rotor bored. There is no off the shelf 11 1/2" rotor for that hub (that I know of). Should be $30 or so to have it bored.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    You will have to have the rotor bored. There is no off the shelf 11 1/2" rotor for that hub (that I know of). Should be $30 or so to have it bored.

Jim
    Damn, sucks to have to do that everytime the rotor needs replacement. Would a shop be able to trim down the flange on the wheel instead? It has so much meat there to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Damn, sucks to have to do that everytime the rotor needs replacement. Would a shop be able to trim down the flange on the wheel instead? It has so much meat there to work with.
    That's actually not a bad idea.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

That's a good idea and can be done in a large lathe or on a milling machine with a rotary table. It will probably cost more than boring a rotor which only requires chucking in a lathe and can be bored in a few minutes. I'd bring the wheel (with tire removed) and new rotor when asking for a quote and decide then. It's not as if you'll wear out many rotors or not have advance warning when one needs replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Damn, sucks to have to do that everytime the rotor needs replacement...
    How often do you replace rotors?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Skjoll View Post
    How often do you replace rotors?
    I can't say I've ever had to change a rotor..... Well other than someone else's stupidity when I bought a new to me bike....

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I can't say I've ever had to change a rotor..... Well other than someone else's stupidity when I bought a new to me bike....
    Same here. It's not uncommon for a rotor to last over 100K miles just as long as the owner isn't a bonehead. I have seen many badly gouged rotors because the owner allowed the pads to wear down to the backing plate although my favorite was the dude who installed his pads backwards... the pads were in great shape but the plates were almost completely worn down and the rotors were a gouged mess and even discolored to bluish-purple.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Skjoll View Post
    Same here. It's not uncommon for a rotor to last over 100K miles just as long as the owner isn't a bonehead. I have seen many badly gouged rotors because the owner allowed the pads to wear down to the backing plate although my favorite was the dude who installed his pads backwards... the pads were in great shape but the plates were almost completely worn down and the rotors were a gouged mess and even discolored to bluish-purple.
    Yep you just can't fix stupid or lazy.............

Get Adobe Flash player

I’d say mine last about 30 or 40,000 miles. I’ve replaced them twice on one of my bikes with 84,000 miles. I ride over 700 miles a week for work and ride a lot of curvy mountain roads so I use my brakes a lot. This bike isn’t my commuter so it would probably last forever... but I’m also not super into this wheel, might try to trade it for a 19” spoked that will fit standard rotors.

Share This