Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

^^^^ Those aren't that rich.....^^^^^^ What is your compression???

Comment

• DavidS
      • Jun 2019

According to S&S the compression is 9.1:1
      If that’s not ritch what is going on? Thx

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DavidS
        According to S&S the compression is 9.1:1
        If that’s not ritch what is going on? Thx
        I don't care what S$S says you have....... What I'm asking is what the compression is in your motor checked with a gauge.....

Comment

• DavidS
          • Jun 2019

Need to double check it, will let u know later.. you think maybe a compression lose on the valves?

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Switching gears to your starting issue:

Ditch those iridium plugs, get some Autolite 4265 plugs. Put a feeler gauge or some shim stock between the electrodes, and file the side electrode until it ends at the center of the center electrode. Deburr with a knife, don't file the edges of the electrode. Gap at .025. That should improve starting.

I am a big believer in giving the motor what it needs in the way of jetting and timing. Your plugs look fat and retarded. I still think your carb set up is incorrect in some way, beyond jetting. At your altitude, 40 degrees full advance may not be too much on a 96.

Just my 2c,
            Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

If you can't find ford plugs Champions are great also....

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                If you can't find ford plugs Champions are great also....
                Autolite has not been affiliated with Ford for thirty years or more. Ford is Motorcraft.

I use and recommend Autolite because we raced with them for a couple decades, with no issues.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                  Autolite has not been affiliated with Ford for thirty years or more. Ford is Motorcraft.

I use and recommend Autolite because we raced with them for a couple decades, with no issues.

Jim
                  I just gave him an option..... Damn Thirty years??? WOW I guess were getting old...... LOL

I still like Champion better for Harley's.....

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    I just gave him an option..... Damn Thirty years??? WOW I guess were getting old...... LOL

I still like Champion better for Harley's.....
                    Is it old in here, or is it just me?

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                      Is it old in here, or is it just me?

Jim
                      Just a little bit.....

Comment

• DavidS
                        • Jun 2019

Ok guys, I think u let enough steam off. Back to business!
                        @JBinNC
                        The autolite plugs working great, a strong and healthy spark. I was wondering what happens if I would leave the gap that it came with. So I did and it’s not really nice so Autolite with a .025 is a way to go. (Works for me at least)
                        @Tattooo
                        U know, when u just rebuild an engine, and u installed brand ne parts, the last thing that I would expect is a issue with any components, but... I had to find out that the exhaust pushrod first cylinder hat a play so fixed that... my fault absolut... I also measured the compression frond cylinder 100 psi rear cylinder 90.
                        I inserted a measure gauge in the spark plug hole and kicked the engine over until it stopped to rise. Never did that before but that was the moste logical way to do it.
                        So anyway something is off on the second cylinder, I will ride it for another 50 miles and see if it gets worse and go from there.

Back to the carb....
                        I heard and read now so much that I have to go with Sherlock Holmes “when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth”
                        96cui Stricker .560 cam. Needs something around .72-.76 as main jet and .32-.36 intermediate. But on 3500 feet altitude. .70 main and .295 intermediate are still to rich.
                        A black spark plug covert in carbon can’t be read as a lean running engine. And i probably have to get some smaller jets, because the bike runs still to rich
                        The bike starts on an cold engine, witch chock off, one twist at the throttle three pre compression kicks to cover the combustion chamber with gas fumes, relocate the compression point with the kicker, one additional twist on the throttle one kick and she runs.
                        Tried it out to night several times with different brakes in between, longest was a hour. That being said this is what works on 3500 feet altitude

What I still don’t understand is, why the same carburetor set up, same main same intermediate worked liked out of the book last year on my 93cui .514 cam set up. Pre kick, back to compression three twist on the throttle and she was running, cold or warm doesn’t matter...

Constructive criticism please.
                        Thx for your help.
                        I will keep posting in here how it goes and what I’m doing.
                        Thx to you guys...
                        and be fucking nice to each other!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;