Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrench777
    • Jun 2017

Revtech 5 in 4 Transmission Question

Hey fellas, looking to get some info on this trans that was installed on my 1980 Shovelhead FXEF. From what I can tell, it's a Revtech 5 in 4 trans but doesn't have a kicker. The only add on kicker kits I can find state that they only work for 5 speeds but not 5 in 4 case. Anybody have any ideas how to add a kicker to this setup?
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1310891

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	1310892

This is all that I have of the kicker ...
    Uses 4-speed kicker cover ...
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• bobberadam
      • Jan 2011

Do you have pics of the transmission you have? This might help identify or help someone know what kit you might need.....

Comment

• Wrench777
        • Jun 2017

Name:	20190517_090757_HDR~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	1310903

Comment

• Wrench777
          • Jun 2017

Name:	Screenshot_2019-05-30-13-51-28~2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1310904

Comment

• Wrench777
            • Jun 2017

The description says it does not have provisioning for a kicker. Pretty obvious that it would require a new cover, kicker arm and spring, and shaft, but I'm not sure what other internals would be needed.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Wrench777
                • Jun 2017

Yeah I saw that one but it says that it won't work for a 5 in 4 trans. 5 speed only.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

It says it doesn't bolt on but it doesn't say WHY. The advert also says:
                  B - Fits all Big Twins from 1987 thru 1989 ... contact Paul about availability ...
                  which gearboxes use later transmission case styles than what you have but are not necessarily incompatible. '87-'89 also have the tapered shaft but I don't know if shaft length is an issue vs earlier boxes. They are desired (pre a Dragstews post) for S&S case 5-into-4 conversions to use stock Shovel clutches. What I don't know is the different transmission shafts (it's more than just tapered or splined clutch ends) and I don't have examples handy. Dragstews and JBinNC may be able to enlighten us. I know Drag's done 5-into-4 using S&S cases of which the Revtech is likely a direct copy. That RevTech case obviously fits '86 and prior five speeds because there is one inside it!

Later five speeds fit older cases (installed as a unit!) therefore if a tapered shaft kicker kit fits later taper shaf transmissions AND that shaft length works for a Shovel you should be able to drop that combo into that box. Example thread but many have upgraded older cases (including 1986 style) with later gearsets: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...r-i-did-3.html

Of course that means buying a kicker kit, matching transmission (takeouts are cheap since spline upgrades are popular), etc. Probably about a grand total by the time you're done.

I wouldn't do that to my bikes because it's too much work for what I consider an inferior result. if one of my Shovel four speeds needs rebuilding it'll get replaced by a complete splined shaft Softail transmission with primary and starter. That Denso starter eliminates any functional need for a kicker but of course they can be added. I offed my '88 FXR box for a later transmission and am fucking delighted.

This is the expensive new aftermarket version of that swap but the instructions are essentially the same: https://www.streetchopperweb.com/upg...in-shovel-tech
                  Last edited by farmall; 05-30-2019, 9:59 PM.

Comment

• Wrench777
                    • Jun 2017

thanks for the info guys! As much as i love to kick, looks like I'll be pushing a button for a while.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;