CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Are handlebar mounts a generic width?

I have just purchased a VN800 and want to swap out the 1" handlebars. The double 'slotted' area of the bars that fits into the clamps are 120mm from edge to edge. Do all third party handlebars have the same slotted width? I have seen plenty of bars I like, but none mention this slotted area. Thanks in advance.

SamHain

Knurled? Not all bars are knurled.

Yes, sorry, knurled! The bars I have been looking at all show that they are knurled, but I wondered if the knurled part is always in the same place. Thanks

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Most of the knurled bars you'll find are standard Harley width. Since 1952 on narrow glide and 1960 on wide glides this distance has been 3 1/2" (~ 90 mm) center to center. These are also 1" diameter.

Get Adobe Flash player

Contact the guys who make the bars you like and ask what the measurement is. Without any info other than a VN800 to go off of a quick google search turned up that the riser spacing on your bike is in fact 3.5". Which seems right with the measurement you gave. 3.5" is 88.9 MM. so your 100mm outside seems correct. Everything can vary but yes it is "safe" to assume most 1" bars you find will have the knurls spaced at 3.5" center to center. Hopefully this makes sense.

Perfect, thanks everyone.

Get Adobe Flash player

Flanders Bars has been making handlebars since at least 1950.
    They know everything and sell every kind of handlebar. Go to their website and you will see what I mean.

I agree with the advice about calling the manufacturer. The 3.5" spacing is pretty standard, but I know my springers and a couple other front ends over the years had different spacing.

Share This