CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Sportster clutch problem

Alright, so I have my bike fully reassembled and when I try to pull in the clutch, it stays engaged . No matter how I adjust the nutsĒ loose or tight it makes no difference. So if I pull the clutch in and itís in any gear, the rear tire will not move. Also iv read the manual and removed the clutch cap. Loosened the flathead screw, then retightened just to where I feel resistance. And still no change. Itís a sportster XLH1200 1990. I did remove the clutch once while rebuilding, but I didnít disassemble the clutch itself , I only did the minimum necessary to move it out of the way. This bike also ran fine for years before I got ahold of it. I just canít figure out why it wonít work and the hanes manual only devotes 3 pages to this particular bike for the clutch. If anyone has any idea what may be going on here id really appreciate the help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sound like the screw bearing may have gave up the ghost .... ??

Pull the primary cover and have a look ....

While the release bearing can be a problem, as D suggests above, try running the adjustment sequence again:

First, back off the cable adjuster all the way.
    Second, remove the spring and lock nut thingie, and turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until it starts to lift the pressure plate. If it does not lift the pressure plate, the bearing may be bad, or the release mechanism is not properly assembled. A ball may be out of place or missing.
    Third, if the screw will lift the pressure plate, turn it clockwise until all pressure on the screw relaxes, plus an extra half turn loose.
    Fourth, adjust the cable for 1/8" free travel at the lever.
    At this point, the hand lever should lift the pressure plate, and you can confirm visually. If that won't let the tire freewheel, the clutch plates may be stuck together by oil. Assemble the lock nut, spring, and cover. With the transmission in gear, and the clutch pulled in, rock the bike back and forth to break the clutch plates loose.

Good luck,
    Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Loosened the flathead screw, then retightened just to where I feel resistance.

I don't think this is correct, it should be, turn screw counter clockwise until you feel resistance, then turn back (clockwise) a 1/4 turn, if you are tightening the adjustment screw you are doing it wrong.

Get Adobe Flash player

So I did what you recommended and the adjustment screw did not lift the pressure plate, the rear wheel never broke free. Where does that leave me?

Turning the screw counterclockwise must raise the pressure plate. How much effort did you put into it? The spring is plenty heavy. Still, the clutch plates could just be stuck from sitting. Before I did anything else, if I were you, I would adjust as outlined above, and then bump it to free up the plates.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Pulling the cover off....

I'm sure the problem will be seen right away ...

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks everyone I figured it out , it was the clutch plates stuck. She sat empty for about 6 months while doing the framework. I can’t believe I tore the whole thing apart just to reassemble scratch my head and then run it while wedged againt a wall, what a day lol

Get Adobe Flash player

hanes manual
    Buy or download the factory service manual and parts catalog. There's good reason we tell everyone this. They will greatly reduce future suffering.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by
    Buy or download the factory service manual and parts catalog. There's good reason we tell everyone this. They will greatly reduce future suffering.

It's hard for me to believe now that when I first started telling people to buy a manual years ago I caught hell for doing it.....

Today it's ok and that is a good thing.... Manuals are very helpful.....

Get Adobe Flash player

If you are using your phone or something, you can go to just the parts page you need, at Ronnie's Harley Davidson microfiche website, which will help identify assembly procedure, part numbers and names:

1990 XLH SPORTSTER 1200 (CA)
    Current Selection:
    CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD86XLH016.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	94208
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TCH%20ASSEMBLY

Share This