Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kylemac13
    • May 2019

Kz400 cylinder head swap

Long story short my 77 kz400 cylinder head needs replaced I got a great deal on a 78 cylinder head before realizing That there was a change from 77 to 78.i originally was told my bike was a 78 when I purchased it. Barn find 100 bucks cleaned the carbs and it ran perfect after sitting for 30+ years. Did some research on the serial numbers an now believe the bike is a 77 though I'm still not sure. I do know it doesnt have the external oil pipe so its definitely pre 78. Anyways my question is Can the 78 cylinder head be put on a 77 by plugging the oil pipe connection with a bolt on the 78 head and it still get oil into the head. Or should I just get rid of the 78 head and try to find a 77 which of course are all triple what I paid for the 78.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Sounds like these guys gave you some good answers:
    I have what I believe to be a 77 kz400 based on the engine and frame numbers however when I purchased the bike with no title I was told it was a 78. Before...
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Check the oil passages yourself by poking some safety wire or similar through them and compare. If they drilled the later head for an external oil pipe that suggests an internal oil pressure gallery would be left undrilled.

Post comparison pics if in doubt or to help the next person.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;