Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scapaf
    • May 2019

brake on a springer fork

My name is Loïc and I live in France near the west coast.
    My first chopper in 1981 is a triumph t140 1976
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160505_121439.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	1344792
    and now I have finish to built a T120 1971.

Name:	DSC_1187.jpg
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	1344791
    I have a problem with my front brake on my springer fork.

Name:	DSC_1014.jpg
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	1344790

Who could explain me how to fixe my brake on it ?
    I have try lot of possibility but never good, thank you for your help
  • Down
    • Jan 2016

Sooooo, what's the problem with it? We need more information to be able to help you. What does it/doesn't it do?

Comment

• scapaf
      • May 2019

in fact I don't find the position between the rockers and the brace which fixe it on the fork

Comment

• scapaf
        • May 2019

Name:	position entretoise.jpg
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	1310540

Comment

• Luky
          • May 2018

Yes, I see the problem. You will not be able to use the drum brake hub.
          You need to convert to a disc brake. You need a sportster front wheel so you have room for all of the parts.

Name:	DSC_1187L.jpg
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	1310553

This one had the same problem.
          Last edited by Luky; 05-16-2019, 5:33 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

You can probably make the drum brake work, just need a couple more photos, from the front and above, looking down.

Can the brake arm be fitted between the wheel and fork leg? Looks like it is rubbing on outside of front leg.

Without the arm attached, can the brake hub spin when the axle is tight?

Et tu parlez français? Je parle seulement un peu français.

au fait, beaux choppers!

Love the single downtube frame...kinda looks like one by TFMW, but the axle plates look almost like...Bay Area Custom Cycles (BACC) by Ron Simms.

Can the anchor rod be attached so it is between the fork leg and the wheel?...La tige d'ancrage peut-elle être fixée de manière à ce qu'elle se trouve entre le bras de fourche et la roue?

If brake anchor rod is between springer leg and wheel, it will be a straighter pull...Si la tige d'ancrage de frein se trouve entre la jambe et la roue du springer, la traction sera plus droite.

With the rod disconnected, does the brake plate spin? Avec la tige débranchée, la plaque de frein tourne-t-elle?

The brake plate with brake shoes needs to be free-floating...Le plateau de frein avec des mâchoires de frein doit pouvoir flotter librement.
            Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-17-2019, 12:29 AM.
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

oui la plaque tourne, j ai mis des photos dans mon album des différents essays… yes the plate turns, I put pictures in my album of different tests

The second picture in ‘viewing one of three’ in your album is close… La deuxième photo dans ‘visionner l’un des trois 'de votre album est proche…

…with it that way, move rod between springer leg and wheel... ... avec cela, déplacez la tige entre la jambe et la roue de Springer ...

si j'ai bien compris il faudrait qu'elle soit a l intérieure de la fourche,
              je regarde mais je pense qu il n y a pas beaucoup de place… if I understood correctly it would have to be inside the fork,
              I look but I think there is not much room

Try using the flat brake rod again, but will need to be able to have the bolts tight while rod can move… Essayez à nouveau d'utiliser la tige de frein plate, mais vous devrez pouvoir serrer les boulons pendant que la tige peut bouger…

That is when the shoulder bolts work good… C'est alors que les boulons à épaulement fonctionnent bien… https://www.mcmaster.com/shoulder-screws
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• scapaf
                • May 2019

the problem is that ther fork is not wideClick image for larger version

Name:	20160721_094900.jpg
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	1310572

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

If the brake rod has to be outside of the springer leg because of clearance, put a solid spacer behind the brake arm on the brake plate, so the rod is parallel to the rocker....Si la tige de frein doit se trouver en dehors de la jambe de ressort pour cause de jeu, placez une entretoise solide derrière le bras de frein sur la plaque de frein, de sorte que la tige soit parallèle au basculeur.
                  Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-17-2019, 9:23 PM. Reason: translation

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

Can you post a couple more photos with the wheel and brake on,from front and top...Pouvez-vous poster quelques photos supplémentaires avec la roue et le frein activés, de l'avant et du haut.

Examples to set up drum brake on springer:...Exemples de configuration du frein à tambour sur le springer:

Comment

• scapaf
                      • May 2019

hello
                      I Don't see your attachment 93914 93915.

Name:	vue dessus frein.jpg
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	1310593

Name:	vue avant frein.jpg
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1310594

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

I don't see the attachments either...just two photos with flat brake anchors...Je ne vois pas non plus les pièces jointes ... juste deux photos avec des ancres de freins plates

I think you will need to use a flat anchor, bend it so it fits between the wheel and springer leg...Je pense que vous devrez utiliser une ancre à plat, pliez-la pour qu'elle se place entre la roue et la jambe du springer.

It needs to be free floating on each end. Use shoulder bolts so hole is not on bolt threads...Il doit flotter librement à chaque extrémité. Utilisez des boulons à épaulement pour que le trou ne soit pas sur le filetage des boulons.

Use a thin piece of metal rod as your template, then bend flat anchor...Utilisez un mince morceau de tige en métal comme modèle, puis pliez l’ancre plate.

Couple of photos here..Quelques photos ici:

Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-18-2019, 10:55 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                          • Apr 2012

In the old Jammer chopper guide (vol 1-2-3) there is a good tech article on how to properly mount a disc brake on a springer. Its kind of the Gold standard and one everyone uses. (These were published in circa 1977 and up)

Also,, Springers tend to pogo with any brake at speed, (A shock absorber really helps with the pogo issue- Bouncy bouncy)
                          So, brakes are kind of more for gentle assistance to the rear while at speed (Theres a technique of using one if you ride much with one) but more generally while already coming to a stop (Soft springs will also pole vault you a bit) and holding while on a hill
                          (Extremely useful,, once rolled backwards into a car that way)

Overlooked by many, But have done it in the past is some small bore Asian bikes use a CABLE ACTUATED DISC BRAKE,, no juice.
                          And works great for adapting to a springer. Plus makes people wonder where you hid the master cyl. Many of these Asian made discs (typically honda and yamaha) are stainless and if you do a nice drill pattern really are attractive. You might have to re-lace the hub into a bigger rim (Common) such as a 21 works well, but something to look at.

I have seen scans of these online before, but if you cant find the install,,, I can send scans or take pix and post but wont be until Monday and I am leaving shortly for a bike show.

Here is a Kawasaki version for a early 1980s 200cc bike, Depending on the lever up on the bars, You can get a surprising amount of stopping power. (Note the fulcrum position of some levers differ, some are better than others)
                          (Sorry for poor quality, Its in storage area and not easily accessible) Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-012F.JPG
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1310606

Comment

• scapaf
                            • May 2019

Thanks for all these advice and photos, I'll try with a piece of dish inside the fork and I will inform you if it's OK

Comment

• scapaf
                              • May 2019

I know this type of cable caliper, I had a Honda 125 CBS of 1980 that was equipped but for now I would like to keep a drum, as you say it is just to brake at the stop. thank you for your advice

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;