CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default brake on a springer fork

My name is Loïc and I live in France near the west coast.
    My first chopper in 1981 is a triumph t140 1976
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160505_121439.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	93855
    and now I have finish to built a T120 1971.

Name:	DSC_1187.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	93854
    I have a problem with my front brake on my springer fork.

Name:	DSC_1014.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	93853

Who could explain me how to fixe my brake on it ?
    I have try lot of possibility but never good, thank you for your help

Sooooo, what's the problem with it? We need more information to be able to help you. What does it/doesn't it do?

Get Adobe Flash player

in fact I don't find the position between the rockers and the brace which fixe it on the fork

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	position entretoise.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	93857

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes, I see the problem. You will not be able to use the drum brake hub.
    You need to convert to a disc brake. You need a sportster front wheel so you have room for all of the parts.

Name:	DSC_1187L.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	93873

This one had the same problem.
    Last edited by Luky; 05-16-2019 at 5:33 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can probably make the drum brake work, just need a couple more photos, from the front and above, looking down.

Can the brake arm be fitted between the wheel and fork leg? Looks like it is rubbing on outside of front leg.

Without the arm attached, can the brake hub spin when the axle is tight?

Et tu parlez français? Je parle seulement un peu français.

au fait, beaux choppers!

Love the single downtube frame...kinda looks like one by TFMW, but the axle plates look almost like...Bay Area Custom Cycles (BACC) by Ron Simms.

Can the anchor rod be attached so it is between the fork leg and the wheel?...La tige d'ancrage peut-elle être fixée de manière à ce qu'elle se trouve entre le bras de fourche et la roue?

If brake anchor rod is between springer leg and wheel, it will be a straighter pull...Si la tige d'ancrage de frein se trouve entre la jambe et la roue du springer, la traction sera plus droite.

With the rod disconnected, does the brake plate spin? Avec la tige débranchée, la plaque de frein tourne-t-elle?

The brake plate with brake shoes needs to be free-floating...Le plateau de frein avec des mâchoires de frein doit pouvoir flotter librement.
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-17-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

oui la plaque tourne, j ai mis des photos dans mon album des différents essays… yes the plate turns, I put pictures in my album of different tests

The second picture in ‘viewing one of three’ in your album is close… La deuxième photo dans ‘visionner l’un des trois 'de votre album est proche…

…with it that way, move rod between springer leg and wheel... ... avec cela, déplacez la tige entre la jambe et la roue de Springer ...

si j'ai bien compris il faudrait qu'elle soit a l intérieure de la fourche,
    je regarde mais je pense qu il n y a pas beaucoup de place… if I understood correctly it would have to be inside the fork,
    I look but I think there is not much room

Try using the flat brake rod again, but will need to be able to have the bolts tight while rod can move… Essayez à nouveau d'utiliser la tige de frein plate, mais vous devrez pouvoir serrer les boulons pendant que la tige peut bouger…

That is when the shoulder bolts work good… C'est alors que les boulons à épaulement fonctionnent bien… https://www.mcmaster.com/shoulder-screws

Get Adobe Flash player

the problem is that ther fork is not wideClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20160721_094900.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	93892

Get Adobe Flash player

If the brake rod has to be outside of the springer leg because of clearance, put a solid spacer behind the brake arm on the brake plate, so the rod is parallel to the rocker....Si la tige de frein doit se trouver en dehors de la jambe de ressort pour cause de jeu, placez une entretoise solide derrière le bras de frein sur la plaque de frein, de sorte que la tige soit parallèle au basculeur.
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-17-2019 at 9:23 PM. Reason: translation

Get Adobe Flash player

Can you post a couple more photos with the wheel and brake on,from front and top...Pouvez-vous poster quelques photos supplémentaires avec la roue et le frein activés, de l'avant et du haut.

Examples to set up drum brake on springer:...Exemples de configuration du frein à tambour sur le springer:

Attachment 93914

Attachment 93915

Get Adobe Flash player

hello
    I Don't see your attachment 93914 93915.

Name:	vue dessus frein.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	93917

Name:	vue avant frein.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	93918

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't see the attachments either...just two photos with flat brake anchors...Je ne vois pas non plus les pièces jointes ... juste deux photos avec des ancres de freins plates

I think you will need to use a flat anchor, bend it so it fits between the wheel and springer leg...Je pense que vous devrez utiliser une ancre à plat, pliez-la pour qu'elle se place entre la roue et la jambe du springer.

It needs to be free floating on each end. Use shoulder bolts so hole is not on bolt threads...Il doit flotter librement à chaque extrémité. Utilisez des boulons à épaulement pour que le trou ne soit pas sur le filetage des boulons.

Use a thin piece of metal rod as your template, then bend flat anchor...Utilisez un mince morceau de tige en métal comme modèle, puis pliez l’ancre plate.

Couple of photos here..Quelques photos ici:

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=99601
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-18-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added link

Get Adobe Flash player

In the old Jammer chopper guide (vol 1-2-3) there is a good tech article on how to properly mount a disc brake on a springer. Its kind of the Gold standard and one everyone uses. (These were published in circa 1977 and up)

Also,, Springers tend to pogo with any brake at speed, (A shock absorber really helps with the pogo issue- Bouncy bouncy)
    So, brakes are kind of more for gentle assistance to the rear while at speed (Theres a technique of using one if you ride much with one) but more generally while already coming to a stop (Soft springs will also pole vault you a bit) and holding while on a hill
    (Extremely useful,, once rolled backwards into a car that way)

Overlooked by many, But have done it in the past is some small bore Asian bikes use a CABLE ACTUATED DISC BRAKE,, no juice.
    And works great for adapting to a springer. Plus makes people wonder where you hid the master cyl. Many of these Asian made discs (typically honda and yamaha) are stainless and if you do a nice drill pattern really are attractive. You might have to re-lace the hub into a bigger rim (Common) such as a 21 works well, but something to look at.

I have seen scans of these online before, but if you cant find the install,,, I can send scans or take pix and post but wont be until Monday and I am leaving shortly for a bike show.

Here is a Kawasaki version for a early 1980s 200cc bike, Depending on the lever up on the bars, You can get a surprising amount of stopping power. (Note the fulcrum position of some levers differ, some are better than others)
    (Sorry for poor quality, Its in storage area and not easily accessible) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-012F.JPG 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	93934

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for all these advice and photos, I'll try with a piece of dish inside the fork and I will inform you if it's OK

Get Adobe Flash player

I know this type of cable caliper, I had a Honda 125 CBS of 1980 that was equipped but for now I would like to keep a drum, as you say it is just to brake at the stop. thank you for your advice

Get Adobe Flash player

test in progressClick image for larger version. 

Name:	nouv patte.jpg 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	93949

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug:
    In the old Jammer chopper guide (vol 1-2-3) there is a good tech article on how to properly mount a... brake on a springer.
    Here are some of the pages from a 1977 Jammers Handbook:

(Drum brake lower right):

Name:	Brake on springer, Jammers.jpg 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	93969

More Jammers here:
    12 Cool Things Learned from the 1977 Jammer's Handbook

https://www.hdforums.com/how-tos/sli...mer-s-handbook

Get Adobe Flash player

TNC, thats correct, and the Jammer article I was thinking of. I have a original copy of that chop guide, but for some reason thought it covered disc too. No matter, I have another one that shows how to mount a Honda CB750 caliper as well. But at that time the CB750 was considered a state of the art brake for the time period, Now not so much. (As well as readily available) But there was some great tech stuff printed up back in the day. I used to reprint up tech books and sell them at shows and early days of eBay, Guys from overseas were especially excited about them and some people bid these up to a lot of money for a reprint.

I had a shop customer as well, who gave me chills at some of the crazy stuff he did. I saw him one day blasting at 70 + on the freeway on a raked out Triumph chopper and looked over and his oil bag was dangling by not much of anything and was bouncing all over, only thing that kept it attached seemingly was the oil lines. How it didnt fall off I will never understand. He waved us off when we tried to flag him down. Caught up to him at a gas station and seemingly Allah, Buddha, or the good lord above cut short his trip by shorting out the electrical system with a pinched wire. But the one that really freaked me out was he ran a springer and on full compression, the rocker bolts came into contact with his spokes, but at rest were well clear. All 40 spokes were ground down halfway thru the spoke OD about halfway down each spoke. it never dawned on him to check clearances at full suspension compression.

When I showed him the damage,, he looked pretty freaked out. Eventually he did succumb to reckless behavior and died in a wreck. Some people say I am a nervous nellie, but seen too many wrecks and mayhem, including my own, so yeah,, Im a bit of a downer at times. But hopefully my nagging saves someone some grief.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by scapaf View Post
    test in progressClick image for larger version. 

Name:	nouv patte.jpg 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	93949
    That shape of anchor could be the answer...Cette forme d'ancre pourrait être la réponse.

Does the tab on the bracket that is clamped to the back leg clear the front leg. when the wheel drops down, don't want the bracket hitting the front leg. Might need to turn the bracket around, so the tab is pointing to the back...Est-ce que la languette sur le support qui est serré sur la jambe arrière efface la jambe avant? quand la roue tombe, ne voulez pas que le support frappe la jambe avant. Peut-être faut-il retourner le support pour que la languette soit dirigée vers l'arrière.

Get Adobe Flash player

Doug:...Caught up to him at a gas station and seemingly Allah, Buddha, or the good lord above cut short his trip by shorting out the electrical system with a pinched wire.
    Who would have ever thought that Lucas was actually a saviour!

...ran a springer and on full compression, the rocker bolts came into contact with his spokes, but at rest were well clear.
    I am sure we all have seen some some scary stuff...I remember a guy who threw (literally threw) a long old worn-out springer on a stock rake BSA A-10, looked like no ball bearings in the neck, and just bolts stuck in the rocker holes, which were half worn through...he was in front of a bar in Whitehorse when I came out, I showed him and he just laughed me off and took off wobbling and weaving down the street and disappeared around the corner...never to be seen again.

Then they say choppers aren't safe and make more regulations, and old Brit bikes (that have been tossed together) get a bad reputation - like they needed anymore help with that...
    It should be easy, do it right the first time...if you don't know, research and ask (so easy in today's world), and check it twice or three times, and try it different ways and contemplate...hhmmm I say...

Share This