Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dowood1
    • May 2019

V star 650 hardtail

Hi, I’ve got a vstar 650 1999 ( dragstar here in the UK ) Modifying it somewhere in the bobber chopper ball park . Not really that planned it’s just sort of growing .
    Have got a hankering to hard tail it now aiming to get rid of much junk and weight as I can ( but on a strict budget ) .
    I like the way it sits at the mo and it looks easy to keep the stock axle plates and just join them up to the back of the four tubes on the back of the main frame loop .as they are the same height (After cutting the old tubes away of course lol )
    Has anyone done this or similar and does it (I. ? ) sound at least half sane 😳
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Sounds like an option here:

"Just take out the mono shock and weld together a 9.5" strut to replace it....It lowers it and slams it....."
    and
    "As said above, took out my shock and put in a strut. Several thousand miles and no probs. Lowered it 'bout 2-3 inches."

"Building another vstar, this time a full hardtail...not just the rigid bar in place of the shock. Had a friend help me do the frame and finally doing the rest of it now..."

Lots of v-star threads on this Chop Cult site too.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• dowood1
      • May 2019

Thanks for the reply and that’s a nice looking bike .
      But I wanna go for the minimal look and also loose the weight of all the spare tubing and shock.
      With probably an ally battery electrics box right down beside the drive shaft .
      Also considering ( loosely ) having the fuel tank under the seat as that can look really minimal . But not sure about that one yet !

Comment

• dowood1
        • May 2019

I also seem to be considering a single carb conversion as I have already bought an SU carburettor to fit , in the near future whenever that may be !

Comment

• dowood1
          • May 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	9E284711-78EE-4886-A8E2-ECD318F7D952.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1310521

Dunno if this pic will load ok , but I’ll try .
          This is what it looks like at the mo , complete with growing pains , lol
          It’s my daily commute or will be when the new regulator arrives for it !
          So I can only modify / experiment with it a bit at a time
          But I love riding it ,

Comment

• dowood1
            • May 2019

Name:	733138B9-2701-4C3B-89F6-762DDE80EAAC.jpeg
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1310522

Quite like the look of this but think it might sit to high or be to big , even if I do a single top tube conversion ( would have to lose the badge indents tho ) not in that colour scheme or design as well )
            Or maybe a sportster tank with a second tank underneath the seat , to cover the small size of the sporty tank .
            As I said it’s my daily commute and I also want to do some serious mileage on it , in the not to distant ( I hope ) future
            Last edited by dowood1; 05-15-2019, 5:09 AM.

Comment

• dowood1
              • May 2019

Sorry TriNortchopz didn’t see your hardtail in progress . That looks nice and the sort of route I’d like to go frame wise .
              The inlet manifold looks cool too , hate to a poss kill joy here but are the expansion rates compatible between the stainless steel manifold and the ally engine , not my area of knowledge at all , but have read of concern bout it somewhere else !

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Not mine,just some shit I found online and thought it may be good as a reference for ya.
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• dowood1
                  • May 2019

Oops ok , thanks anyway .
                  Read that well didn’t I , lol

Comment

• dowood1
                    • May 2019

New regulator arrived yesterday , fitted it today , and seems to have solved the problem . The old one had developed a a short in it of about half an amp .
                    Now I suspect the battery may not be holding its charge , ho hum Will check it out before I throw any more money at it .
                    Looking forward to riding it again

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

You asked,"Has anyone done this or similar and does it (I. ? )..."

Seen this thread?

2019 Thread: Hardtail vstar build

Name:	vstar hardtail build, cc.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1310554
                      Building a hardtail vstar 650. Had a friend help me with doing all the frame work last spring and finally getting to the rest of it. Did a single backbone and a fully hardtail frame. Tank is mounted and have a fake oil tank for the electric. Waiting for the fender before I figure out the seat and then controls. Stainless

and similar:

4 weeks ago; Thread: Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Hardtail

Name:	Vulcan hardtail,cc.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1310555
                      Have always wanted to do a hardtail build, so I decided to seek out a new project for the build. Wanted to do a genuine hard tail not just a springer seat. Bout this vulcan from Byron Bay....was a long drive but totally worth it. Bike was relatively original but had the rear spring chipped down so it had virtually no
                      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-16-2019, 9:07 PM.

Comment

• dowood1
                        • May 2019

Thanx TriNortchopz , hadn’t see the second one , and every bit helps , starting to form a idea for what I want to do now

Comment

• dowood1
                          • May 2019

Battery is on way out , charged it last night and left it at 13.53 volts checked it 8 hours later and it was 12.7 and labouring to turn the motor over.
                          Gonna have to save up for that now , lol

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

If the loss was while it was connected in the bike, could be a bad connection somewhere that is drawing it down. Check all connections. Could also try to repeat the 8-hour test with the battery not connected to anything...sitting on a bench...see if you get a different result.

Comment

• dowood1
                              • May 2019

Yeah thanks TriNortchopz gotta be worth trying that , with the cost of a decent battery today.
                              Although I should have added that I tried a multi meter set in amps across it before charging . And it showed no drain .
                              But it won’t cost me anything to try it again off the bike !

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;