Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dowood1
    • May 2019

Hope this isn’t getting boring . But the bikes design is still evolving !
    Right now I think my best way forward would be , (A) hardtail the frame fully
    Then ( B) use the sportster tank as a dummy / cover for the battery fuses and the rest of the gubbins under the seat . Followed by (C) build a fuel tank to fit the space under the seat .
    This would lower the c of g increase the new fuel capacity , and also to fit a fuel sender , as I already have a fuel gauge in the digital speedo !
    It All sounds good to me at the mo , lol

Comment

• dowood1
      • May 2019

Ok help or ideas on this please , there should be a couple of pics here , showing the overlap between the nearside of the swinging arm and the frame rails .
      My question is :- if I were to cut the s/ arm of where it curves up at the front and put a cross member in between the frame rails instead and weld the front of the s/arm to it . Then plate along top and bottom of the two rails appx 6” , also tapering the back of the frame rail to meet the swinging arm where it curves out appx 4” finally making some gussets to come out from the curved rectangular shaped uprights appx 4” high coming out to the inside of the s/ rail . Which would the be boxed in .
      Would this be sufficiently strong enough ?
      The top of the s/ arm could be braced in a similar manner
      The gap between the lower frame rail and the s/arm is 20mm one side and 10mm the pictured side .
      Got a quote to get it done professionals today and it’s way out of my budget , and time I can do without the bike for .
      Last edited by dowood1; 08-21-2019, 9:37 AM.

Comment

• dowood1
        • May 2019

I think I could cover all this up with a electric box or fuel tank underneath the seat for the lower rails . Then either box in under the seat or a simple plate under the seat.

Or am I being way to optimistic / naive here , lol
        Last edited by dowood1; 08-21-2019, 9:35 AM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Do you get winter where you live? If so, I think you should ride until winter, plan, research structural metal specs and chopper frame building, draw, design, think, redesign, research more, draw,redesign and have a solid plan of what you want, see what others have done, know what you want, then get metal and fabricate once right.
          You seem to have lots of ideas, but sometimes if you go slower you get there faster.
          You must have a bit of a gas tank collection after buying ones that don't work or need to be modified more than you wanna spend...plan,plan and plan...then build.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• dowood1
            • May 2019

Thanks TriNortchopz , there are some sensible ideas there . Not sure I do sensible very well tho ! !
            Lol I only have two gas tanks the one on the bike and the one I intend to modify . One was refunded and scrapped the other was put back on eBay and funded the latest one that needs modifying , it’s not quite as headless as it sounds .
            Think I’m just doing my research designing and redesigning publicly ( i’d Like to think anyway )
            The design I have just suggested although not elegant or petty was based on an idea I got from one of the pics “ I think” you found for me , but hey ho ! No worries . It’s prob also a good idea to point out at this point , that although it is colourful , it is really a rat or survival bike in disguise !
            I know I’m not taking the shortest or easiest route . But I am hamstrung by not being able to afford professional services and trying to work on my daily commute that I don’t want off the road too long at any one point
            But thanks again for replying and offering sensible advice
            Last edited by dowood1; 08-22-2019, 3:37 AM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Ok help or ideas on this please , there should be a couple of pics here , showing the overlap between the nearside of the swinging arm and the frame rails .
              My question is :
              Yup, need a couple of good pics for that, even a drawing or two of that idea...hard for me to see it...sounds like an idea(?)
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• dowood1
                • May 2019

Ok , right just to be even more confusing / and llook even more confused ! I’ve been offered this set without the axle plates , at a good price
                Click image for larger version

Name:	B567773F-FD71-43C7-AE7F-6FBF52D6CCAA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1312774
                Same I/d as the frame tubing . Have bought it and think I’ve worked out how to fit it fairly easily . Should look a lot tidier and be a lot better than my other ideas !

Comment

• dowood1
                  • May 2019

Could do with a front master cylinder with an angled reservoir ( or remote ) to fit 1” ape hangers . The current master cyl is marked up as having a 1/2 inch piston .
                  Not having any luck at the mo !
                  Any one got any ideas ? Please

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

Yup, that one is an easy search...

2018 Thread: TECH: Make a hidden/remote master cylinder
                    "Thought I would document how I set up my remote master cylinder setup for my VLX600..."
                    Hello all, Thought I would document how I set up my remote master cylinder setup for my VLX600. I am no expert by any means so there may be better ways to do this. As usual, i take no responsibility for what you do to your bike. This is simply documenting what i did. 1. Purchase used master cylinder on ebay (I spent $30

about 24,700 results in .54 seconds;
                    remote master cylinder chopcult:

Comment

• dowood1
                      • May 2019

Thanks TriNortchopz had thought about a remote reservoir but not a remote m/ cylinder and was only searching for the item I wanted and not the solution , DOH !
                      There’s some great ideas there

Comment

• dowood1
                        • May 2019

Ok not my usual build method and it may come as a bit of a shock to anyone following this thread .
                        But I now have a plan ! !
                        Have got the tube ( as already shown ) to do the hardtail , plus have worked out how I want to do it and got some tube to make the slugs .
                        Build a petrol tank under the seat .
                        Covert the sportster tank into an electrics “box”.
                        Remote front master cylinder under the “electrics box” .
                        Pre unit triumph handlebar levers and dip/ horn switch , bsa a10 light switch , the indicator / starter switch is still to be confirmed .
                        Steel Panels in the gap between the seat and the frame rails , and to replace the plastic frame covers behind the headstock
                        Ideally a new seat base ( steel instead of plastic ) , hinged and With the petrol cap underneath the seat along with the fuel pump .
                        Single side draft SU carb conversion , ( possibly forward facing , if it clashes with my knees . )
                        Now all I need is the time and the weather ( it will be built outside , he says optimistically and yes we do have winters here ! )
                        Have also got a house to finish refurbishing .
                        Hopefully have got a more local job that won’t require using the bike to commute on
                        Find the money to get the rest of the bits ,

All without testing my lovely wife’s patience and understanding to they’re limits .

Well it’s a plan anyway . . . . Lol
                        Last edited by dowood1; 09-11-2019, 1:32 PM.

Comment

• Skjoll
                          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by dowood1
                          ... bsa a10 light switch...
                          Are you sure you want to install anything electric made by Lucas?
                          Last edited by Skjoll; 09-12-2019, 9:26 AM.

Comment

• dowood1
                            • May 2019

Hmmm , you mean, joe Lucas who used to be known as the “ prince of darkness “ in the 60’s due to his products unreliability , lol
                            Yeah the light switch kinda just looks just right , and I’m gonna run with it and see how it goes , I’ve used quite a bit of that stuff on old Brit bikes in the past , and it’s never caused much of a problem if any !
                            Will have to see how it goes .

Comment

• dowood1
                              • May 2019

Name:	09D004D8-A6D5-4D22-B347-47CB01B69EB1.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1313346
                              Hopefully in the near future this lot should all cobble together , to make the new manifold / carb / filter set up .
                              The long inlet pipe will not stay that long , I need to see if I can tuck the carb and filter in enough to miss my knee for a side draught set up . Or if not use the bend in the pipe for a forward facing carb . But Will have to see how it all pans out when I get some time !
                              Last edited by dowood1; 09-30-2019, 4:27 AM.

Comment

• dowood1
                                • May 2019

Name:	08B0D0D9-BCF1-4064-B7F3-0AAE2EBCE469.jpg
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1313362
                                Had a trial fit today and decided on the side draft option , before having to put it all back together again as it was !
                                Think it looks good even with the block of wood for the tank , and the old carbs hanging down , lol
                                Love the space above the engine , I’m convinced now !
                                Last edited by dowood1; 10-02-2019, 3:12 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;