CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345

Did you already hard tail the frame? IMO the 'softail' frame and a minimalist rigid seat is a better way to go than a sprung seat on a hard tail frame both for looks and a cushy ride.

I'm about to go for another ~1400 mile ride this weekend on my XVS650 and not only is the seat ridiculously low but the rear suspension is cloud smooth even on the hellish pot-holed roads of Michigan.

Yes Skjoll , I agree with your opinion completely . But ! (A) I find it uncomfortable to sit on a minimalist seat , Wether the bike has good suspension or none .( b) I’ve set my heart on having the fuel tank under the seat , and I like the idea of removing the weight and all the clutter as well .
    So it’s gonna be a matter of making a seat that kinda looks ok , and sort of making my own way with it , which will probably be errrrm fun !

Gotcha. Hope whatever you chose works out. It must suck to get hit with spine issues.

Thanks Skjoll , guess it’ll take a bit of experimenting to get it to look “ right “ for me.
    And no it’s not great but it’s not serious and relatively manageable .
    Plus I can still enjoy riding , I just need a different seat style

Thinking on my feet a bit here , as the seat is gonna be bigger than expected it kinda puts the sporty tank out of proportion .
    So ( at the mo ) Gonna keep the seat top surface appx the same as it is ,with the sides shaped to fit to the frame rails . But gonna build a seat frame , then use horizontal “mattress “ type springs . With appx the same amount of foam as at the moment . Which is quite comfortable except for the worst bumps . That should improve the comfort and not look so awkward !.
    Then maybe a bigger “ tank” , that looks more “Japanese bike “ have an idea on that , but will think it thru !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CBFCEBF-C93A-4727-91BC-4C8F6173C785.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	97826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4CAFF062-10EA-4820-B930-1B52CB28D150.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	97828
    Apologies for the rubbish pics . But I’m reasonably sure I have a “ revised, lol “ plan ! The damaged tank in the pic will be the “electrics box” cover , I will of course repair the damage (it’s much easier with all the base and tunnel removed ) , have checked and the battery will fit under there ok and there should be plenty of room for the rest of the electrics . That will leave room under that , between the frame rails for the remote master cylinder with maybe the fluid reservoir in the electrics box ? . To keep all that tucked virtually out of site .
    Seems to be starting to gel now !

Ok have tried it with the pillion seat on , and it looks good “to me “
    In brief , I need to remake the rider seat and colour match it to the pillion seat + a sissy bar backrest pad !
    Hardtail it , repair the tank and paint it to match the mudguards which need repainting . Sort the electrics . De chrome the engine cases .the paint the head and barrels black .
    Rework the front brake system , make a fuel tank for under the seat plumb it in and wire up the pump , finish the inlet manifold fit it and tune the carb to suit . Plus de lug and finish painting the frame and a few small asst jobs inc the leccy box
    But it’s starting to feel as if I’m nearly there now . Lol

Name:	03E3170E-DA4F-431C-83F0-7514B9B19AB3.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	97928

Name:	75BDA4B3-4139-4143-BAEE-3349F45325CC.jpg 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	98063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0DD1B4A4-2858-4195-9657-70569C45E500.jpg 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	98064
    Ok managed to get the switchgear fitted today , plus run the wires down thru the bars . Levers + throttle assembly are fitted . That’s it for the bars just gotta drop the wires down thru the the top yoke where they come out the bars and fit the front brake cable .
    Left side is dip and horn which works . The right is kill switch and starter , which I’ve yet to sort out ..

Oops there’ll be a pair of mirrors as well

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Found this so thought it may be of interest:

2003 Yamaha Vstar 650 bobber roller
    $800

Name:	VSTAR 650 roller 0.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	98075
    Titled frame, new straight backbone, all parts included from donor bike, engine partially disassembled. Professional welder. Low mileage and ready to drop in your engine. Frame is done, tank, fenders and front end work continue. Price goes up as I complete each phase. Battle Ground IN

Thanks TriNortchopz always handy to have another take on the idea. The single top tube looks cool .

Attachment 98109

I know itís a lot more work , but I wasnít quite happy with the damaged black ďtankĒ .
    So I took the angle grinder to the original tank , as I had already modified it .
    I took about 2Ē width out the front and appx 5Ē out the back , and tacked / taped it together . Then cut all the tunnel out and about 1.25Ē of the bottom .
    I think itís well cool and much more in proportion .
    But as I said a lot more work to finish .
    Will prob take the filler neck out as well ,when I get some blades for my jigsaw .
    Then use it in the under seat petrol tank !
    Well itís a plan , lol
    Last edited by dowood1; 1 Week Ago at 5:32 PM.

Now I’m wondering if my welding skills , with the welder I’ve got are good enough to make it the fuel tank ! !

Name:	539FC5B3-E28F-4AA4-8539-C1C5C2708452.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	98128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C13EB70-D675-4ED2-BDEF-0AE74971820F.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	98129
    Sorry here’s the pics again !
    And making it the “ fuel tank ” is a non starter .
    Last edited by dowood1; 1 Week Ago at 1:51 AM.

Has anyone used or know how good / effective the “durafix” type low temp aluminium welding rods are ?
    I am thinking of maybe using them for making the petrol tank for under the seat , prob from 2mm aluminium sheet .
    found some info on line , but wanna be sure as it’s for petrol , and I’ll be sitting just above it , lol
    Last edited by dowood1; 4 Days Ago at 3:21 AM.

Share This