CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Suzuki GZ250

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Honda: single-cylinder bike with two carbs
    Suzuki: single-cylinder bike with two exhausts

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet54 View Post
    Honda: single-cylinder bike with two carbs
    Suzuki: single-cylinder bike with two exhausts
    Well I'll have to eat my words then, huh, I'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by 7LostRonin View Post
    ... I have really been going back and forth on the hardtail. keep thinking if I am going to put some money into a bike I would be better off getting a better bike to start with. I'd also like to put a 21" wheel on the front but same problem. Don't want to dump much money i to a bike thatbisnmt worth anything. it is a blast to commute on and 75 mpg is nice.
    If you enjoy the GZ250 the way it is then I'd keep it that way and get another one to customize into a hardtail... there's no reason to stick with just one type of bike if you don't have to. Despite what I wrote above I will still ride my hardtail... I never said I was a smart man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 7LostRonin View Post
    yeah it is very similiar to the honda rebel. I like the GZ better due to it feeling more like a big bike. my dad had a rebel for awhile and it definately felt small to me.

I have really been going back and forth on the hardtail. keep thinking if I am going to put some money into a bike I would be better off getting a better bike to start with. I'd also like to put a 21" wheel on the front but same problem. Don't want to dump much money i to a bike thatbisnmt worth anything. it is a blast to commute on and 75 mpg is nice.
    I'd say to hardtail it. I hardtailed my GS450, and with some nice seat springs, it's still super comfy. I've done 250+ mile days on it, and a buddy has put more than that in a day on it, with no complaints.

And as far as your concern about 'putting money in a bike that's not worth anything'- remember that it's only rare exceptions that the finished bike is worth more than the bike you start with. The market for a bobber or a chopper is small, and what most guys want to buy are professionally built bikes. Unless you're building them for a client, you'll almost never make money on a chop- it's for your enjoyment first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Westboundbiker View Post
    I'd say to hardtail it. I hardtailed my GS450, and with some nice seat springs, it's still super comfy. I've done 250+ mile days on it, and a buddy has put more than that in a day on it, with no complaints.

And as far as your concern about 'putting money in a bike that's not worth anything'- remember that it's only rare exceptions that the finished bike is worth more than the bike you start with. The market for a bobber or a chopper is small, and what most guys want to buy are professionally built bikes. Unless you're building them for a client, you'll almost never make money on a chop- it's for your enjoyment first and foremost.
    yeah I get what you are saying. I have a bad habit of picking up non running, bikes, cars, mowers etc. for cheap and using them for a year or 5 and selling them at a profit. I know once I go the hartail route, better wheels, etc I will not be recouping my invested money. I am just riding the shit out of this bike right now. May hardtail down the road or just pick up something else. I like the simplisity of the air cooled, single cylinder, single carb setup on this bike. It is extremely minimal and cheap to run.

I have been eyeing a few XS650's in my local for sale ads. Even saw a low mileage stock/clean 80 XS650 for $1400 that I am looking at picking up.

Default Enduro bobber

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	919C9695-B99A-4F7C-82A4-A4572F58EF77.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	106461 I kept coming back to your bike for inspiration. You did a great job and I like the oversized tires. Here’s mine. More stock than most of my other builds. Kept it well under a grand too.

Get Adobe Flash player

Even saw a low mileage stock/clean 80 XS650 for $1400 that I am looking at picking up.
    Since XS are getting consumed for choppers (because they're like a British twin without being a grenade) reeling in any XS at the right price would be a good idea. You can Ebay the sheet metal, harness and everything you can remove without damage to get money back quickly then build something cool. Since internal combustion motorcycles don't have much long term future fuck saving them for collectors. My fellow boomers are that market and we'll all be dead soon.

You could get into completely parting 'em out. Titled frames are rare on Ebay and Ebay buyers tend to pay higher than cheapass local buyers. It's faster turnover to dismantle bikes (many Harley sellers buy auction bikes and blow them apart instead of fixing them because the runner market is mostly saturated but the parts market never is). One salvage local to me started in his garage and makes very nice side money. He doesn't put shit back on the road because that isn't as profitable and every one you skin out isn't wasted because it gives life to others.

Never marry what you can pimp.

Share This