X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobberNrd
    • May 2019

Sport bike rear wheel in a hardtail

Hello all,

I am trying to find a way to put a gsx600 rear wheel into a hardtail frame. I can get the wheel into the frame, but as most sport bikes have a swingarm that is offset to center the wheel in the frame, I don't have that option. Making the sprocket line up is something I can get done one way or another by either getting an offset front sprocket or maching down the sprocket carrier (I am a machinist). The rear wheel just fits in there with the stock spacers from the gsx. Once in there, my wheel sits off to the caliper side an inch or more. Is it possible to switch out a hub from another bike, or do they make a hub for this application? I'm open to any suggestions that someone has. I haven't been able to find anything on this. I see pictures where other people are using sport bike alloy rims so there has to be something.
  • SamHain
    • Apr 2024

I’m gonna guess that not a ton of people on here have a clue what a gsxr wheel/hub consists of. As a machinist I’m sure it shouldn’t be that hard to see what needs to happen. Posting pics for some ideas couldn’t hurt.

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I'm confused as to why you can't just make spacers that center the rim then worry about offset sprockets.
      I usually put the wheel on the axle without spacers then using my laser level center the rim to the backbone of the frame. Then I measure for the spacers. With the wheel tightened and aligned parallel to the frame with the laser level and a steel rule I decide what I need to align the sprockets. Then I worry about brake stays or caliper mounts of course a caliper mount may require shorting the spacer on that side, but this method seems to work best for me.
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• BobberNrd
        • May 2019

I should have been a bit more clear in my description. I was trying to figure out how to adequately describe my dilemma. I will include photos once I return to my shop. The GSXwheel on the hub side doesnt appear to have a spacer that extends much past the oraface of the hub. When I pulled it off of the parts bike the hub almost touched the swingarm. On the other side the caliper bracket is the only spacer. That, all together, fits into the hard tail pretty snug. I don't have any room to put spacers in to accommodate centering the wheel. I didnt know if anyone knew how people have been able to do this before. It's possible that I'm trying to use the wrong wheel, and need a wheel from a different bike. I had wondered if people were able to use a shorter hub off of a different wheel that fit into the one I currently have. I'm sorry guys I know this is easier with pictures. I'll post them asap.

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

How far from centered is it the way it is?
          Dusty
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• BobberNrd
            • May 2019

It's about an inch off currently. Maybe a bit more. The hub sticks out quite a ways. I've never done anything with sportbike wheels so this is all new to me.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Here is an cross-section image of a GSXR rear wheel, not much chance of machining it any narrower:
              oopps,it too large; check out this thread:

Guess options are a different wheel with narrower hub or wider hardtail...
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• BobberNrd
                • May 2019

Thank you guys for giving me some advice, and ideas. I've decided to go with a rear sportster mag wheel for now. It lines up just right with some spacers. Maybe later down the line I'll do some modifications to it to see what I come up with.

Comment

• Scrapenstein
                  • Feb 2019

I'm currently putting a 2011 Fatboy wheel into my Pre 99' frame so of course nothing lines up. I had to mill a 1/4" off the caliper bracket to bring the wheel to the right. Now I'm having to fab and weld a bracket with tab to the frame for the caliper mount brake stop.

Comment

• Gurp
                    • Apr 2019

When you where asking about hubs earlier have you considered using a super moto hub or just lacing a 17 to a sporty hub?

Comment

• Luky
                      • May 2018

Forget about Japanese proprietary parts. Forget about machining costs.

Get a Harley style rear wheel. With the Harley wheels you can get spacers for the sprockets and you can get dished sprockets. You can face them inwards or outwards. You can get a 16" rim for the fat look or a 18" rim for a modern look. Different widths of rims too.
                      Lots of choices. Be in control. Also different choices on types of brake calipers.
                      Last edited by Luky; 07-17-2019, 9:57 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;