Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digginout
    • Apr 2019

Kz1000 chopper saga

Hey guys I'm Jake. I have a 1981 kz1000. I've wanted one for years and finally found one in my price range. Cheap haha. In 2011 a friend of mine brought me his frame to fit and weld a hard tail on. My ex was pregnant with my son at the time. He is now 7 and one afternoon having a coffee while he was in art class I found that exact bike for sale, from the same dude, in the same condition it was before my son was born. Five bills later some parts box's and a frame came home. He kept stressing how quick the bike was before he tore it down. I kinda shrugged it off. It's a liter bike and maybe he's easily impressed etc. I through the engine up on the bench and examined it a few nights ago and found some interesting things. The first was that the head is significantly ported. Next I decided to do a compression check. Dry and cold from it's seven year garage floor purgatory each cylinder was above 180psi within a few pounds of each other. I was really impressed. Anyway she's up on the bike stand and going back together. Should be making some serious progress in the coming weeks. Here's a couple of pics. Long haired little feller testing her out is my son that wasn't quiet an air breather the last time the kz fired.
    Attached Files
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Good one. Love the big Z. My motorcycle mechanics college project was building my '77 KZ1000 into a 1075 with a Wiseco kit , boring my own cylinders, swapping out the full-circle counterweight 1000 crank for the lighter porkchop design used on the '73 - '76 Z1 900s (both 66mm stroke)....1000 engine casting is thicker - they said to quieten the sound of the straight cut primary gears. Fresh, dry and un-fired, it had 200psi compression. Dropped it back into the Amen Savior frame and went really fast - the one tooth larger sprocket in front helped top speed.
    One of our class projects was to drop a 1385 13:1 kit on a tired '78 KZ1000 - split cases, hogged out holes to fit monster block, welded crank pins, and did head and cams. Dialed it in on the computerized dyno, tuned it for carbs, cam lobe centers, exhaust, oil tests after that, then went to Saskatoon drag strip - the prof ran a 9.55 at 155 on nitrous...back wheel didn't hook up until third gear air shift.
    Fellow classmate with a 1425 KZ ran a 9.011 at 149...end of cam busted off and smashed him in the face on second run. Was a good year.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• digginout
      • Apr 2019

Man that's smokin. Must be the real life equivalent of strapping yourself to an acme rocket lol.

Comment

• digginout
        • Apr 2019

Got any suggestions on manufacturer or cam profile that's street friendly for something with compression like mine?

Comment

• fastestz1
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by digginout
          Got any suggestions on manufacturer or cam profile that's street friendly for something with compression like mine?
          cam motion"s z2 cam shafts,, great all around drop in cam

Comment

• digginout
            • Apr 2019

I couldn't find anything but ls stuff on their site. An I missing something? When I get back to the shop I'm gonna through a dial indicator on what I have to see what it is. There's two different people's hand writing marking the cam caps so someone has been in there

Comment

• fastestz1
              • Apr 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1310315

sorry cant make pic bigger,,hopefully some one here can help out
              Last edited by fastestz1; 05-05-2019, 4:42 PM.

Comment

• digginout
                • Apr 2019

It's all good. I tried to blow it up but it was to pixelated to read. Thanks though

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by fastestz1
                  cam motion"s z2 cam shafts,, great all around drop in cam
                  Yup, that is a good drop-in, depending what's lurking inside...did your friend the seller tell you how big the bores are? the 1000s can go to 1075 with just boring to 72mm (2mm over stock).
                  Web Cam grind #118 are another good drop-in. A good street cam profile has 240-260 degrees of duration @0.050 lift.

What carbs are on it?

Some good readin' here:
                  Old Kaws Never Die
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• digginout
                    • Apr 2019

Awesome thanks. He didn't do the work or have it done. So no chance of any prior info. The carbs are muniki's (I couldn't have possibly spelled that right. All of my other inline 4 bikes have had round barrel shaped slides. These are flat. They are disgustingly dirty. I'm out of town right now when I get back they are next on the chopping block. They've got a date with me and about 10 cans of carb cleaner. Will there be a model number somewhere I can do some research on them from? Will definitely check out oldkawman. Thanks again yall

Comment

• digginout
                      • Apr 2019

They do seem to have an excessively large throat though.

Comment

• digginout
                        • Apr 2019

So the reason Im not working on the kz is I'm in Florida with my old man. He has to have a procedure and be put under for it so he can't drive back. Had some time to burn before one of the appointments this morning and found an awesome bike shop in Atlantic Beach Florida. Its called Dirt bag Choppers. Super cool shop and guys there. If there are any northern fl guys reading this go check him out. It's way to easy these days with the ability to purchase anything with just a click. I try to support locally owned business's and you should too

Comment

• digginout
                          • Apr 2019

Just pulled the trigger on some more parts remotely. The FedEx man is going to get to know the house pretty well haha. I need to source some handle bar controls. I've found a few simplified wiring diagrams that I think are compatible. If I can't source them cheaply I'll just do away with them.

Comment

• capionmc
                            • Mar 2013

That's insane! Tuned big Z in an Amen Saviour frame! Congratulations on the size of your balls. I have a standard, untuned Z1000/Amen Saviour survivor the motor is way to powerful in a bike that handles like Jell-O with those plungers!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

capionmc; Great term for the Savior -Jello! I used to say my Flexi-Flyer...fly 2' off the ground. The tuned big block was a class project...mine in the "Jell-O" package was just a Wiseco 1075...only good for 150 mph. Twist the throttle and twist the springs.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;