X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Stopped charging on me though.
    Did ya figure out the charging problem?
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• digginout
      • Apr 2019

Yep, out of phase. I didn't take it apart so I guessed going back together. Guessed wrong haha. Good now though. Starter drags some when it's hot. Was lean so I moved the needle clips down a couple of slots. I'm about to throw some new plugs in and test ride it again. Had a few simple issues in my shakedown runs. Not to bad for a 36 year old bike reassembled from Rubbermaid containers in few weeks . thanks for looking

Also, the DST stickers is dark star tattoo
      Last edited by digginout; 05-29-2019, 9:05 AM.

Comment

• digginout
        • Apr 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190530_112733.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	1310898 running great now. Was lean so I moved the needles 1.5 positions (1\2 value shims) runs strong now. Haven't done a full throttle kill plug check yet. If you want laugh at my expense listen to this king dumbass move. I disconnected the vacuum peacock to just gravity feed in the PRI overlooking that that was probably the abbreviation for PRIME. Needless to say I had a problem with over filled bowls so after removing the bowls three times to find absolutely nothing wrong with the floats i consulted google. 10 seconds later a small vacuum line was in place and all is well for the moment in chopasaki world. Take it easy, jake

Comment

• digginout
          • Apr 2019

Name:	IMG_20190530_113954.jpg
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	1310899Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190530_113943.jpg
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	1310900 I forgot to show y'all this. Chain tensioner turned out cool. Body is a 400 small block rod. It's dampened with the shock, pretty neat. Ignore the upper spring mount spacer. I'm needing the chain to stretch so I've pull another link out.
          Last edited by digginout; 05-30-2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• digginout
            • Apr 2019

Well shake down run number 8 was a win and a loss. Had fun riding with my old man and my son. Started missing again and slowly got worse. Died completely 20 ft from the garage door so a real easy push lol. Gotta wait for that hot puppy to cool off some and see what's up again. I just keep telling myself " I love old hot rod bikes, I love old hot rod bikes, I just live old got rod bikes"...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Think its the fuel supply or charging system again? I never had a battery for 18 of the 20 years I ran my Z-1 900 and KZ1000 chops, and never had a charging system problem - simple permanent magnet alternators.
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• digginout
                • Apr 2019

It's definitely not charging. Maybe it stops once it gets warm? I've got it back on the stand and apart. Let's test more stuff today. We will see
                Last edited by digginout; 05-31-2019, 4:46 AM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Maybe something here:
                  2014 Thread: '82 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Stator questions
                  So Im trying to help a friend fix his 1982 Kawasaki KZ 1000 ltd. He thinks the stator went bad when the three wires connecting the stator to the bike burnt. He bought a new one that I will try to put on for him. My questions are, am I chasing the right problem? which wires go where? any advice would be good. I can post pictures

that info was copied from here:
                  Hello, I am fairly new to your site and I would first off like to say thanks to all who post on here and offer so much useful info. Now to my question: I have...

'81 - '83 Z1000 factory Service Manual pdf:
                  Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-31-2019, 8:11 AM. Reason: added kz link

Comment

• digginout
                    • Apr 2019

That's awesome thank you! I'm in shop on this again. Hopefully I just cured my cam cap leak. Had a leak at the oil sending unit that I fixed with new orings. Hey trinort what's invovled to check the oil skrim before the pump? I have the FSM but it doesn't tell me cool tricks from experience.... The reason is the owner of this kz before last loved him some RTV. I'm really really concerned there's cured rtv chunk goodness hanging out in there... Thanks for the interest and help. Jake

Comment

• digginout
                      • Apr 2019

Name:	15593212969272610971228577416043.jpg
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	1310926 how she sits now... Looks like the picture problem was my old phone. This one seems to work.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

I see some of them rotten cheap autostore sqeeze-on electrical connectors - like the blue ones by the handlebar switch (kill switch?) and at the battery...be good to go through the full 'harness' and get some quality connectors, ensure good connections and grounds to eliminate any further electrical problems. Them air filters look crusty too.

Comment

• digginout
                          • Apr 2019

The parts store bullet connectors are just for the brake light switch. The bars and controls are old goldwing stuff. I had a short in the brake light circuit and cut my soldered and heat shrunk wires there to test. That crap is temporary.There's none of them at the battery. The small crappy eyelets are for a battery tender plug. Everything everywhere else is tinned, soldered, and heat shrunk

Comment

• digginout
                            • Apr 2019

Originally posted by fastestz1
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]94222[/ATTACH]

if you decide to paint it and add sum chrome goodies,
                            let me kno ill give you a deal on these,
                            Thanks. I like those covers what kind of price are we talking? It's gonna get painted but I'm riding this season out

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by digginout
                              Thanks. I like those covers what kind of price are we talking? It's gonna get painted but I'm riding this season out
                              Unfortunately, due to the redesign of the J-model for '81 & '82,to 997cc, none of the engine covers that fit the '73 - '76 900 and '77 -'78 KZ1000 will fit your '81 J model...not even the oil fill cap.
                              Some (points housing and cover) will fit the KZ1000 up to '81, but the C & D models only.

Comment

• digginout
                                • Apr 2019

Oh well, thank you for that. That was going to be in my next series of questions to the dude who posted it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;