X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Voldo
    • Apr 2019

Axle Too Small? 21" TT250 Wheel for XS650

Hey, Guys.

I came across a 21" front wheel with drum from a 1980 Yamaha TT250 for a good price and figured I could use this wheel based on some reading I had done on 21" wheel options. I asked the dude to measure the axle diameter....14mm and not 17 as I had thought it would be.

So, would this wheel still be usable via modifications or should I abandon ship on this one and look for something more suitable? Could a spacer and/or machined axle do the trick?

Thanks in advance.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Turning down a stock 650 17mm axle to 14mm is easy for a machine shop but may hit the axle nut threads which can be turned off and rethreaded for a smaller nut if necessary. A heavy 14mm flat washer will be needed under the nut but 14mm and 9/16"are close enough for washer swaps.

14mm axle spacers are easy to find on the internet. Karts and such use that ID. Buy and turn or cut to size if needed.

Comment

• Voldo
      • Apr 2019

Thanks for the reply, farmall. I had a feeling it may be cutting it close. Pun intended.

I'll scoop up the wheel and have my machinist buddy work some magic. I figure worst case I can strip it and lace in an xs650 hub.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

What is the OD of the bearing? Why not just change bearings with 17mm ID?
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

TT250 front wheel BEARING 6201-2RS
          12mm x 32mm x10mm
          Timken Part Number 6201-2RS, Deep Groove Ball Bearings

17 x 32 x10:
          Roller bearing 10-6465A-FAG, Inner diam. 17 mm, Outer diam. 32 mm, Width 10 mm

The Roller Bearing, known as 10-6465A-FAG FAG, has an inner diameter of 17 mm, an outer diameter of 32 mm and a thickness of 10 mm.
          Last edited by TriNortchopz; 05-03-2019, 12:58 AM.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Voldo
            • Apr 2019

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
            What is the OD of the bearing? Why not just change bearings with 17mm ID?
            Originally posted by TriNortchopz
            TT250 front wheel BEARING 6201-2RS
            12mm x 32mm x10mm
            Timken Part Number 6201-2RS, Deep Groove Ball Bearings

17 x 32 x10:
            Roller bearing 10-6465A-FAG, Inner diam. 17 mm, Outer diam. 32 mm, Width 10 mm

https://www.123bearing.eu/bearing-10-6465A-FAG.php
            Thanks for the info!

What has me thinking is the ID of the bearing is shown to be 12mm on CSC when the axle is ~15mm on the bike I am getting the wheel from...I'll have to take measurements on the wheel and axle when I get them to confirm the dimensions dude gave me.

So in theory, swapping the TT bearings for 17mm ID bearings and using XS axle, collars, oil seal, etc should do the trick. Assuming I properly understand the front wheel assembly.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

...I asked the dude to measure the axle diameter....14mm and not 17
              Maybe he didn't measure it right or bearings have already been swapped, or its not from a TT250.

measure what you have - the bearings, and bores in hub, look for a number on the bearing and search that to confirm.

1980 TT250 front wheel; shows two different bearings:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ya4303_42.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1310265
              4: BEARING 93306-20226-00
              5: BEARING 93306-20205-00

XS650 front wheel with parts list:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	front-wheel-tx650axs650bc_mediumyau0774g-12_5639.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1310264

Comment

• Voldo
                • Apr 2019

Yeah, I'll have to measure and search everything once I get the wheel and axle in hand. I assume people know how to read calipers but you know what happens when you assume...

A quick search of the bearings shows one is larger than the other, 52mm vs 35mm OD and 25mm vs 15mm ID respectively. So the TT has a stepped axle. Which the diagram appears to show.

Thanks again, trinortchopz!

Comment

• Gurp
                  • Apr 2019

I always just took the wheel with no bearings amd the axle to the local tractor shop. They broke out the calipers and came back with bearing that worked.
                  Now i have my own i just order online and save a trip.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;