Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

That first 50 miles on Wiseco's must be baby-ed.....

Then a thousand miles of super easy riding needs to go down...

Break-in gotta be done slowly with setting up the wall clearance on low speck... !!
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Set it up loose and go........

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Bold mine:

Some applications, such as higher stressed race engines (or nitrous injected), forced induction engines (supercharged or turbos), do require additional piston to wall clearance than Wiseco has designed into the part. These are special applications that are normally built at high performance engine shops. These builders are familiar with the needs of these engines, and can help establish the needed engine set up parameters including piston to wall clearance. As a general rule, any high stress engines that include nitrous, turbo or supercharging, up to high pressure blowers require an additional .001 to .003" clearance.
        This includes ancient designs with insufficient fin surface (thick, wide pitch fins are MUCH easier to sand cast!) in materials which shed heat poorly,

Much love for my Shovels, Ironhead and Britbikes but I never allow myself to forget why they are obsolete designs. That makes it easier to sort and improve them.

Comment

• tzienlee
          • Apr 2024

Fault found, It's being fixed...…………
          now , I built the motor, in fact I built the whole bike from the ground up with the exception of the paint.
          I have gone out of my way NOT to use ANYTHING from the shit ''v-twin mfg'' company and the cheap fuck crap ted is killing bikes with.
          when I bought the ''Burkhardt'' magneto nose cone about 5-6 years ago to go with a Fairbanks Morse Magneto I already had in my stash box under the work bench, I was totally unaware that ''V-Twin MFG'' were the people who were reproducing them.
          at a quick glance I thought the quality was more than Equal to the low cost of $150 at the time,...….
          wrong, I should have kept my eyes open,... a basic schoolboy error of ''get excited and build without examination''....
          I'm not blaming anyone other than myself (& the Cunt Ted who needs to understand what Quality Control means !!!)
          THERE IS A HOLE IN THE CASTING THAT DUMPED MOST OF THE OIL INTO THE CAM COVER, THAT BIG I THOUGHT IT WAS MEANT TO BE THERE …...NOW FOUND, I AM GETTING THE HOLE WELDED UP ….TO COMFIRM IT WAS THE PROBLEM I PUT A FACTORY NOSE CONE ON, 3 KICKS, PRESSURE LIGHT WENT OUT AND OIL COMING OUT THE FRONT TAPPET....I HAVE NOT RUN THE MOTOR SINCE THE REBORE AS I WANTED TO FIND THE OILING PROBLEM FIRST,.... AT LEAST I DID THAT BIT RIGHT !!! THE CASTING WAS LOW AT THE POINT THAT WHEN THE OIL GALLERY WAS BEING DRILLED, THIS ALLOWED THE DRILL TO BREAK THROUGH CAUSING THE PROBLEM,...… AS I SAID,... MY FAULT IT WASN'T CAUGHT BEFORE WHEN I BUILT THE MOTOR, BUT ALSO ANOTHER REASON TO AVOID TAIWAN TED AND HIS SHIT
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2019, 3:23 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

My God, that is an ugly mistake. I wonder if there weren't a flake of metal covering that hole when the thing was new, and so you could not see the problem.

Jim

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Dragstews
              That first 50 miles on Wiseco's must be baby-ed.....

Then a thousand miles of super easy riding needs to go down...

Break-in gotta be done slowly with setting up the wall clearance on low speck... !!
              I disagree, ride it like you stole right off the bat. Break them in????????, if it's goanna go, it's goanna go...

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Now "IF" you set up the wall clearance on the high side of specks, that's a diff. story ..
                Last edited by Dragstews; 05-20-2019, 4:25 AM.
                Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
                  I disagree, ride it like you stole right off the bat. Break them in????????, if it's goanna go, it's goanna go...
                  Truly bad advice.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                    Now if you set up the wall clearance on the high side of specks, that's a diff. story ..

Yep or if you built it with used parts like I did years ago to save money then you would be just fine to ride the hell out of it right out the gate....

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                      • Apr 2010

Been doing it for years, but hey Ive been wrong before.

Comment

• JBinNC
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
                        Been doing it for years, but hey Ive been wrong before.
                        As is pointed out above, you can build it so you can hammer it out of the gate, but don't expect all motors to live with that kind of treatment. There are good arguments for both approaches.

Jim

Comment

• tzienlee
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by tzienlee
                          Fault found, It's being fixed...…………
                          now , I built the motor, in fact I built the whole bike from the ground up with the exception of the paint.
                          I have gone out of my way NOT to use ANYTHING from the shit ''v-twin mfg'' company and the cheap fuck crap ted is killing bikes with.
                          when I bought the ''Burkhardt'' magneto nose cone about 5-6 years ago to go with a Fairbanks Morse Magneto I already had in my stash box under the work bench, I was totally unaware that ''V-Twin MFG'' were the people who were reproducing them.
                          at a quick glance I thought the quality was more than Equal to the low cost of $150 at the time,...….
                          wrong, I should have kept my eyes open,... a basic schoolboy error of ''get excited and build without examination''....
                          I'm not blaming anyone other than myself (& the Cunt Ted who needs to understand what Quality Control means !!!)
                          THERE IS A HOLE IN THE CASTING THAT DUMPED MOST OF THE OIL INTO THE CAM COVER, THAT BIG I THOUGHT IT WAS MEANT TO BE THERE …...NOW FOUND, I AM GETTING THE HOLE WELDED UP ….TO COMFIRM IT WAS THE PROBLEM I PUT A FACTORY NOSE CONE ON, 3 KICKS, PRESSURE LIGHT WENT OUT AND OIL COMING OUT THE FRONT TAPPET....I HAVE NOT RUN THE MOTOR SINCE THE REBORE AS I WANTED TO FIND THE OILING PROBLEM FIRST,.... AT LEAST I DID THAT BIT RIGHT !!! THE CASTING WAS LOW AT THE POINT THAT WHEN THE OIL GALLERY WAS BEING DRILLED, THIS ALLOWED THE DRILL TO BREAK THROUGH CAUSING THE PROBLEM,...… AS I SAID,... MY FAULT IT WASN'T CAUGHT BEFORE WHEN I BUILT THE MOTOR, BUT ALSO ANOTHER REASON TO AVOID TAIWAN TED AND HIS SHIT
                          I Don't think a few have read this post.... fault found and it is being fixed,.... I was brought up old fashioned and it will get a slow, gentle run in with flushes and oil changes, from what I have read the balls to the wall full throttle way of doing it is not 100% successful and the gains are very small usually only done on race bikes who cannot afford the time taken by a proper run in period
                          Attached Files

Comment

• tzienlee
                            • Apr 2024

all bolted up and running,... good oil pressure now and all at peace in the world,... run it for 10 mins today,...gonna get one more heat cycle in it tomorrow and when cold re-Torque it all,.... then ride it …………https://www.facebook.com/peter.waltm...668439898/?t=0

Comment

• Hoghead
                              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by tzienlee
                              all bolted up and running,... good oil pressure now and all at peace in the world,... run it for 10 mins today,...gonna get one more heat cycle in it tomorrow and when cold re-Torque it all,.... then ride it …………https://www.facebook.com/peter.waltm...668439898/?t=0
                              All good now? Enquiring minds want to know.Fingers crossed....

Comment

• DonnyBoyJr
                                • Oct 2017

I have just built a Hammer Performance 1275 kit for my son. I am 70 years old and been wrenching on bikes for 55 years Do yourself a favor and check out this https://www.hammerperf.com/ttinstallkit.shtml#BreakIn
                                Seamed to be a bit over the top? Bike runs phenomenal My oldest son tried it and says that it is the fastest Harley (Street) that he had ever been on. As for tight piston to wall clearances I have KB Hypereutectic aluminum pistons in my 1978 FLH fitted at .0015 and it runs great with no problems. The piston to wall clearance is not a rule of thumb number anymore as piston materials have improved dramatically Remember the original pistons had the expansion strut You have to follow the piston manufactures recommendations for there piston. That's my opinion.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;