Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by golfish
    Would this one work? Just making sure I'm looking at the right one..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-C...edirect=mobile
    Not sure since I've not personally compared 'em. Performance Machine tech support would know what year stock bikes they cover and you could work from there.

Comment

• golfish
      • Jul 2017

I appreciate the help...

I've over tightened others things on this one but I didnt do the bleeder.........yet.

I was a little ticked when I saw the hole. My bad for not seeing it when I bought it.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Bikes ain't like cars. Use a light touch and or a torque wrench until you reprogram. No bad on your part, teaching torque "feel" is a bitch.
        Last edited by farmall; 04-27-2019, 9:40 PM.

Comment

• golfish
          • Jul 2017

I'm not a fan of the Ultima trans but I do like their engines. There isn't much of a choice for good a 6sp for this bike, that makes sense for me to swap out too. It might be best for me to go with a used HD 5sp. I do like the Jim's trans but man! I just can't justify 2k+ for a trans.

What do you guys think, does the HD 5sp make sense?

I think I'm dealing with a 1984-1999 softail transmission, right?
          Last edited by golfish; 04-28-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Case looks to be a tyopical Softail clone and uses the late starter so highly likely (pull your derby cover to confirm clutch style) to be a splined shaft box.

If you want a Softail box it should be a direct bolt on.

You don't necessarily need a transmission (unless that one has something internally wrong with it). You do need (unless you want to spend more money for a complete gearbox) a hydraulic or mechanical clutch actuation setup.

Hydraulic clutches are IMO fucking stupid (to put it gently) because of their additional, hydraulic points of failure but hanging every "feature" they could on customs was wise marketing. Feel free to install one if you hate yourself. I've dealt with far too many of the damn things on garage sitter customer bikes.

I'd run a stock style cable cover/release setup with a new Barnett cable and one other addition, the Baker heavy duty throwout bearing, but you can toss in one of those any time. Cover/release need not be from a Softail. Clutch levers aren't expensive.

Complete transmission example, note the starter mount hole size which is easy to distinguish from earlier boxes and the splined transmission shaft. This one has a cracked end cover and IMO is priced a bit high but I'm a cheap bastid:

A useful trick to figure out what bolts to aftermarket parts is use gasket and cover interchange as a reference since HD part numbers only indicate what those parts were installed on, not what else they fit. There's no Hollander manual for Harleys.

Aftermarket cover, note interchange and where the cable entrance hole sits. There are two different clock positions for different models generating different part numbers. Usually not critical but I mention it.

Cover gasket and cover swaps per above info so my next step would be finding a cheap good used cover with all the internal parts whether I need them or not.

This random used example is complete with the pushrod with oil slinger, screws etc so ya know what to look for rather than piecing it together from a parts book:

I would carefully remove the circlip and if the throwout bearing isn't perfect I'd replace it. My bikes get the larger Baker bearing kit which is a set of ramps spotfaced to suit the larger wafer bearing (for which I'd love to find the bearing maker part number).

People have been griping about the 37311-75 throwout bearing since it was introduced into Big Twins in 1975. Failures occur when the clutch cable is inadvertently adjusted with little to no free play. Performance clutches are even harder on that little bearing. The BAKER Heavy Duty Throwout bearing kit was developed to

If you must have a hydraulic clutch any five speed end cover should do. The differences between five and six speed boxes as far as this problem is concerned are internal (shafts, gears, shift drum etc) meaning Evo style end covers should swap. I don't know if the short clutch pushrod/slinger setup is different for hydraulics hence the cable release example above with those parts.

That's the best I can do for you over the internet and what I would do in that case. Have fun!
            Last edited by farmall; 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• golfish
              • Jul 2017

Thanks for all the info, the bike came with PM hydraulic hand controls, if it had a cable clutch I would have either not bought the bike or changed to hydraulic first thing. I understand your not liking them.

The last bike I assembled had the same PM hydraulic controls, I had no problems bleeding that system. (Of course now that I said that it won't be the same for this one)

I found the exact one I have at Jirehs. It's a 1/3 the price of the PM.

Thanks again for all your help and sticking with me.
              Last edited by golfish; 04-29-2019, 4:06 PM.

Comment

• golfish
                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by golfish

I found the exact one I have at Jirehs. It's a 1/3 the price of the PM.
                Scratch that, Jirehs called and said they are out of stock on these. Put me on some kind of list. Looks

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

I suggest checking if they sell a rebuild kit and getting one with whatever unit you buy.

Not only does that get you parts, it gets you parts to measure and compare with others. It would be worthwhile to see if those match HD parts for future repairs.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;