Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lelo118
    • Apr 2019

1968 Triumph hardtail woes?

Recently purchased a hardtail frame from the factory metal works for my 1968 triumph t120. Really nice frame and quality work.
    So i mounted it to the frame (bolt on) and ran into no issues. It wasnt until i began installing the rear wheel where i noticed a gap between wheel and axle plates. Took the wheel off and the gap from axle plate to axle plate measures 8 inches. On the stock swing arm the gap measures 7 5/8. So i decided to just install the wheel and tighten the up the axle. The gap closed up and everything appears to be normal. My only concern is will the stress from tightening the axle have an effect on wheel alignment or on the hardtail itself? I double checked the axle and made sure all spacers are correctly orientated, which i can confirm since i did a test fit on the stock swing arm.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

First, this is not tech, so Admin will need to move it to brit section.

Measure rails, uppers, then lowers, to see if they are parallel or splayed. Confirm that each side is in line with stock frame section. If all straight, confirm chain/sprocket alignment and add the 3/8" of spacers where required - may be a bit on each side...and check if wheel is in the center of the frame - may need to offset the rim from the hub to move it over.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Don't bend by tightening! That gap is excessive. Might need a spacer but we can't read minds over the internet.

Do POST PHOTOGRAPHS.

Comment

• datadavid
        • Oct 2014

Check chain alignment with engine sprocket first.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;