CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 12 over Sportster - Progressives springs or not?

I'm about to do 12 overs on my stock rake Sportster. I happen to have a set of progressive springs laying around. What do you guys think? Any reason not to put them in? Do you think the difference would be noticeable at all?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer View Post
    I'm about to do 12 overs on my stock rake Sportster.
    You are kidding right????

I'm about to do 12 overs on my stock rake Sportster. I happen to have a set of progressive springs laying around. What do you guys think? Any reason not to put them in? Do you think the difference would be noticeable at all?
    Progressive springs ride a lot smoother than your standard spring. 12 over with stock rake is gonna ride not-so-well anyways, so any added comfort/handling upgrade won't hurt. If you already have 'em, slap 'em in there.

Get Adobe Flash player

I’m getting my popcorn tattoo may be taking someone to school

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    You are kidding right????
    Hey Tattooo. You and I have argued on here in the past. It seems quite unnecessary now. Thank you for replying, but I am not interested in what you have to say about anything.

Down, I think I will do it. Can't make it any worse haha I was thinking save them for the next one, but they are cheap enough.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Tattooo. You and I have argued on here in the past. It seems quite unnecessary now. Thank you for replying, but I am not interested in what you have to say about anything.

Down, I think I will do it. Can't make it any worse haha I was thinking save them for the next one, but they are cheap enough.
    Awww címon Tattoo gives the most direct rational advice on this forum in his own unique style. Iíd learn from his experience. Willful ignorance is not the way to turn your bike into a death trap

And YES you can make it worse!

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea I remember you..... LOL That's why I responded as I did.....

Best of luck.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    Awww c’mon Tattoo gives the most direct rational advice on this forum in his own unique style. I’d learn from his experience.
    Thanks Q, I try............

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    Awww c’mon Tattoo gives the most direct rational advice on this forum in his own unique style. I’d learn from his experience. Willful ignorance is not the way to turn your bike into a death trap

And YES you can make it worse!
    Thanks man. He knows me, I know him. That ship has sailed and we are not going to become friends. I am really not looking to start anything here, I know the forum is dead, but I'm no help that way.

I meant progressive springs will most likely not make it worse compared to stock inside the long tubes. Do you think the progressive will be worse, or are you saying the 12 over in general will be worse? I understand how the 12 over will affect handling.

Progressive Suspension springs are quite a bit better than OEMs because of their spring rate but they're not immune from wear due to age and compression fatigue. Depending on the bike and from what I've witnessed OEM springs can lose up to 3" of their normal length over time whereas a set of PS springs I had in a bike for ~10 years and ~60K miles lost about 1" of length. Just something to take note of.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man. He knows me, I know him. That ship has sailed and we are not going to become friends. I am really not looking to start anything here, I know the forum is dead, but I'm no help that way.

That's fine with me, I'm not looking to make friends either just trying to help people.....

If you want to see what a dead forum looks like go over to JJ..... Now that's a dead forum......

Get Adobe Flash player

Install and experiment with different pipe/PVC shim lengths.

If like, keep! If no like, change! They''re fork springs. It's not as if you're juggling WP grenades with the pins pulled.

Difficult stuff. I'm intellectually exhausted just thinking about it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for all the input, fellas. I went with the stock springs and 10w oil to begin with. Figured that would give me a baseline to work from.

Get Adobe Flash player

12 over sounds awesome

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man. I have talked to a few guys online who run 12 over and spent a lot of time looking at pictures. It's still surprising to see how long it is in person. I've got 15" rear shocks on right now, will probably go back to factory height to get the swing-arm level. I'm doing a few things while it's off the road, so haven't got it all buttoned up yet. Will post pictures when it's finished.

I'm looking for a better way to lift it, as the cheap, old ATV / motorcycle lift I have is pretty sketchy at this height.

Get Adobe Flash player

You could pull the gas tank and battery then lay it on its side on a blanket outdoors. It can't fall off that and the blanket keeps earth out of the bike.

You could use the lift to get it off the ground and then put some 6x6's under it, I've seen lots a builders do this, just cut 2 of them about 12-18" long or so and then put them under the bike and lower it. should be way more stable than a lift if you have a nice solid and level working surface.

Jake

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks guys. We had a freak winter storm here and the bike is outside, so I haven't touched it for a bit. I was wondering: What about lifting one end at a time? With the other end in a chock, which is bolted to a sheet of 3/4 plywood. This is the setup I have now, could I ratchet strap the front wheel down and lift the back up a little bit? Then do the same with the front? Seems I would only have to go up an inch this way, to change wheels etc. But if I have to take the whole thing up at once, it's pretty high.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer; 04-28-2019 at 9:05 PM. Reason: clarifying

Get Adobe Flash player

My gf has 6 overs in the front and burly slammers in the rear so its kicked up pretty good in the front. At that angle the lift is kinda wonky so I use a piece of wood to roll up on the rear tire only and it helps even it out. I bet you could roll up on a 4x4, just cut an angle on the back of it to lift the rear tire up to the bottom frame rails are more even. The jack lift I use has the extensions on it too, it helps clear the kickstand mount. I've added wood to the front piece as well and that seems to help. If you get the lift located on the frame correctly, lift it and then ratchet strap it down to the base of the lift, it shouldn't go anywhere. For reference, this is the style I'm talking about.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey man I installed some +8s on my stock rake and dropped in progressive springs with the install. I only have a base line of stock springs on stock length but in my experience the ride is much better. I still need to up my preload a bit cuz I was pretty drunk by the time I got the caps back on and wanted to call it a day, but even with unperfect preload it still rides much better than stock. I'd say since your stock springs are in there right now if you have time on the weekend pull them and drop the progressives in with the same spacers and see if you notice an appreciable difference.

I'd be willing to bet it is going to be better with the progessives but this is based solely on my anecdotal experience and not on anything scientific. Either way - enjoy the longer forks.

Share This