CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 4 Speed Dry Clutch: New Sound (fishing line drag)

I have been breathing life back into a '81 FXWG this winter that has been in a slumber for the past 20+ years. After fixing things up all winter I was able to take it for its inaugural ride today! It rode amazingly and was a great feeling.

After the ride I noticed the transmission started to make a noise it wasn't before the ride. The noise almost sounds like a fishing line having the line drag. Here is a video of it running in neutral. I've never had a dry clutch either.

Not sure how to post a video so here is a link to the video on youtube:
    https://youtu.be/o0c2QJexBzE

Thanks for any advice/guidance.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

sounds like a bolt hitting somewhere when u push clutch in does it go away?
    pull the pack and inspect

Get Adobe Flash player

That belt is way too lose, start there.

Davestune: The sound continues when the clutch is in.

BuddhahoodVato: I'll give it a try at tightening the belt.

The kick clutch can make a noise if it is not fully released from the kick gear. I have seen one where the ends of the kick clutch ratchet teeth welded themselves to the kick gear, and blew the right side of the transmission off (at speed). A word to the wise is sufficient.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    The kick clutch can make a noise if it is not fully released from the kick gear. I have seen one where the ends of the kick clutch ratchet teeth welded themselves to the kick gear, and blew the right side of the transmission off (at speed). A word to the wise is sufficient.

Jim
    Excuse my ignorance to the subject, what is the best way to check/mitigate what you are mentioning? Is that just adjusting the clutch cable?

Quote Originally Posted by FringeCult666 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance to the subject, what is the best way to check/mitigate what you are mentioning? Is that just adjusting the clutch cable?
    No, this is the kick start mechanism and has nothing to do with the clutch. I mention it because it is the source of a noise that will sound like a drag as you described. But coming from the kick cover area of the transmission.

Jim

I fired her back up and it seems like it may not have been fully in neutral because it wasn't making the same noise as yesterday. I am going to try and take her for a ride later and get it all warmed up to see if that makes a difference and the sound returns.

Get Adobe Flash player

adjusted the belt, those are nice when they go.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounded to me like it might be the kicker gears, as well. The crank gears tend to wear where they hold the gear away from the ratchet gear. If it is worn, do yourself a favor and spring for the Baker kicker gears.

Share This