Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evobuilder
    • Apr 2010

open primary and pant legs

ride with an open primary..... and you have felt the "snap" going down the road. hell, you probably feel it once everytime you ride.When it happens, it surprises the shit outta me, but 20 years of riding.... never anything more than a slightly frayed paint leg.... but I was wondering.... has anyone ever get a pant leg caught in the front pulley of their open primary that did more than just snag it?
  • Boston
    • Apr 2024

Been riding belt driven primaries since the late 70's and open primaries since the 80's. NEVER caught my pant leg...BUT...I did catch THIS!!! No lie...and long DUMB story!

Boston

Comment

• Sick1200
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Boston
      Been riding belt driven primaries since the late 70's and open primaries since the 80's. NEVER caught my pant leg...BUT...I did catch THIS!!! No lie...and long DUMB story!

Boston
      Ouch!!!!

My buddy got a pant leg caught and it ripped his pants to his crotch.....looked like levi chaps on his left leg lol.

Comment

• hanshan29
        • Apr 2024

Wow, now I feel better about my uncool closed primary.LOL Thanks!

Comment

• garbage
          • Apr 2024

A guy I used to work with at a bike shop was sportin' the same look. His was on the left hand. He grabbed for the shifter a " little buzzed" he said, and came up a little short.

Comment

• ARBY
            • Apr 2024

In the '60's and '70's ya had to be real careful 'cuz bell bottoms were always gettin' chewed up in the belts!

Comment

• Nicko
              • Sep 2009

Boston
              Dude, I feel for you. Only thing I have done is worn the right inside of a few sneakers and boots on the front pulley, but nothing as serious as everyone expects.

Comment

• Boston
                • Apr 2024

Short version.

JUST the short version.

Was tryin' to find the leak in my closed primary where I was running a belt drive and the oil soaked belt was slipping so bad, it cut the motor when the clutch was let out!.

Took off the outer cover, spayed some kerosene in the inner to clean off the old oil, and wiped off what I could. Started the motor to see where the oil was coming from that was causing my belt to slip. Well, as she's running, oil started to drip out of the front inner primary bolt-to-the motor and LIKE AN IDIOT...I wrapped a hankerchief around THAT finger to "dab" the oil when...WHAM...I jerked my hand back thinking..."WHAT A STUPID SHIT! I almost got my finger........!" ...I then looked at my hand to see no finger! Couldn't see it anywhere! went to the ER, they amputated the bone and grafted the stub. I get home wondering...where the FU*K did my finger tip go? Shook out the hankerchief and it fell out IN ONE PIECE!!!!

OK, I' m an ass...I KNOW...BUT I WAS STILL YOUNG AND DUMB...now I'm old and dumb without a right pointer! Tell you what....being my dominant hand, it's one hell of an intimidating pointer and the rest of my finger still sits in one of those very small Folger coffee jars in alcohol...on a shelf in a bar at Top of The Mountain outside Knoxville Tennessee.

Sorry for the visuals....

Boston

Comment

• garbage
                  • Apr 2024

JUST the short version.

Was tryin' to find the leak in my closed primary where I was running a belt drive and the oil soaked belt was slipping so bad, it cut the motor when the clutch was let out!.

Took off the outer cover, spayed some kerosene in the inner to clean off the old oil, and wiped off what I could. Started the motor to see where the oil was coming from that was causing my belt to slip. Well, as she's running, oil started to drip out of the front inner primary bolt-to-the motor and LIKE AN IDIOT...I wrapped a hankerchief around THAT finger to "dab" the oil when...WHAM...I jerked my hand back thinking..."WHAT A STUPID SHIT! I almost got my finger........!" ...I then looked at my hand to see no finger! Couldn't see it anywhere! went to the ER, they amputated the bone and grafted the stub. I get home wondering...where the FU*K did my finger tip go? Shook out the hankerchief and it fell out IN ONE PIECE!!!!

OK, I' m an ass...I KNOW...BUT I WAS STILL YOUNG AND DUMB...now I'm old and dumb without a right pointer! Tell you what....being my dominant hand, it's one hell of an intimidating pointer and the rest of my finger still sits in one of those very small Folger coffee jars in alcohol...on a shelf in a bar at Top of The Mountain outside Knoxville Tennessee.

Boston
                  Fucking Hardcore Boston! I know we were all a little more than curious about that finger(or lack of)Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
                    • Dec 2009

JUST the short version.

Boston
                    My brother is in the Army and lost his left index (Sp33dfreak, he's a member here too, the one I got everyone to help out with for a build when he gets home from Afghanistan). He had to grease his tow hooks on his Humvee at work one day. So he had to wind his winch in all the way since they store the end of it with a big iron hook on the tow hooks.. Whoever had last wound his winch on this particular truck had bound it up, when he went to let it out (obviously not letting it free spool) it kicked and grabbed right back and sucked the cable back in the other way, he was holding the cable with his left hand, right where the crimp that holds the loop of cable through the iron hook on the cable end is (if that makes sense), and when it sucked backed it popped his finger off right where Boston's was, inside a kevlar glove. At first the army amputated it just like Boston's. When had our little side shop in El Paso building ricers and mini trucks, we called it "9 1/2 Customs". Ha ha. It drove him nuts though with all the nerve endings and pain from barely touching it, and interfered with his job, so he had the ARMY re-amputate it all the way off. They went into the back of his hand and removed a bunch more bone, and re-tapered the section of his hand between the thumb and where his index was. So when he flips you off it looks like he's givin you a number 1. Now we call him Lobster Boy! Ha ha. He's gonna kick my ass for that one. But it is kinda fun givin him shit and saying he can't count 10 anymore! Sorry bro, love you man!
                    Last edited by SMChewy; 07-19-2010, 5:14 PM.

Comment

• Boston
                      • Apr 2024

Notice it!

When somebody "points" out the loss of a limb....you'd be surprised how many come out with similar stories of accidents where a body part is gone!

Missing body parts/limbs is much more common than you'd think! Right now there is an Army Capt...INFANTRY type...humping it with the Infantry on active duty in Afganistan missing a total leg and part of his other foot. Some tuff 'sumbitches out there..............

All the more reason to respect the hell outtta' our military!!!

Now that this thread is WAY off topic...................

Boston

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
                        • Dec 2009

When somebody "points" out the loss of a limb....you'd be surprised how many come out with similar stories of accidents where a body part is gone!

Missing body parts/limbs is much more common than you'd think! Right now there is an Army Capt...INFANTRY type...humping it with the Infantry on active duty in Afganistan missing a total leg and part of his other foot. Some tuff 'sumbitches out there..............

All the more reason to respect the hell outtta' our military!!!

Now that this thread is WAY off topic...................

Boston

Thanks for "pointing" out the Capt. I have heard of that cat too. Fucking insane! Sorry for leading it further off topic... Ha ha

Comment

• SmittyFXR
                          • Aug 2009

Since we're way the F off topic anyway.....

We had a Captain in my old Regiment (3d ACR) who lost his leg while deployed for OIF I- dude came back with us for OIF III in the Regimental headquarters. Even with a prosthesis he kicked the crap out the 2 mile run portion of the PT test. One of my best friends lost his left leg 20+ years ago when he got hit riding his old Ironhead Sporty. He still rides- has a street tracker XS650 with the brake and shift both on the right side. Freaks people the hell out when his prosthetic leg falls off while he's riding, though. Guess he could definitely get away with an open primary- nothing on the left side below the knee to catch. (See? Back on topic... sort of.)

Comment

• DirtyG
                            • May 2010

back on topic

have any of you seen the old ad for the horse with the old guy in sweat pants that are ripped to shit standing by i wanna say a green bike and part of his pants are waded up in the primary haha clasic

Comment

• altshovel
                              • Mar 2010

I'm real cool, I have the old tin primary over my 1 1/2" belt drive And a hand clutch with a mouse trap!
                              Last edited by altshovel; 07-24-2010, 9:19 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;