Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hubbard
    • Dec 2010

Shovelheads

Is it just me or are Shovels getting real popular? Seems like every week somebody else just bought one. Glad to see it but just curious as to why.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Harley-Davidson Shovelhead V-Twin Motorcycles - HISTORY OF THE BIG TWIN

The Harley-Davidson Shovelhead V-twin was introduced in 1966. Here’s a look at the technical evolution of the 74-cu.-in. engine and chassis of Harley-Davidson’s long-running OHV Big Twin

By Kevin Cameron August 20, 2016

When Harley-Davidson first introduced the Shovelhead engine in 1966, sales increased by 26 percent, to 36,210 units per year.

Courtesy of Harley-Davidson

1966 Mainly to produce more power to maintain performance at the new higher weights of bikes with electric start, rear suspension, etc., the Shovelhead engine is introduced, produced 1966-85. Sales increase 26 percent, to 36,310 units.

First-year Shovelheads were given aluminum versions of Sportster iron heads (long fore-and-aft fins, straighter ports giving 10 percent more power—the so-called “Power-Pac.” These heads have less deep combustion chambers and their valve included angle drops to 78.5 degrees (intake is 40.25 degrees from centerline, exhaust is 38.25 degrees). The importance of this is that the shallower the combustion chamber, the less surface area it has through which combustion heat can enter the head. Also, as compression ratio rose from the 6.0:1 range of the original “E” to higher numbers such as 8.0:1, piston domes had to grow taller, both interfering with combustion and gaining in crown surface area, causing pistons to run hotter. The shallower chamber helped cooling and worked better at higher compression ratios than did the old 90-degree valve-angle chamber.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hubbard
      Is it just me or are Shovels getting real popular? Seems like every week somebody else just bought one. Glad to see it but just curious as to why.
      It's because Pans and Knucks and flat side Shovels are well out of the price range for the average guy............

Well that's my take anyways.......

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

Of course they are popular, they always have been. Very viscerally mechanical, but with modern touches like electric start and disc brakes (on most). What's not to like?
        Plus, the prices are depressingly low (for those of us who own them), which is good for them that wants them.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
          Plus, the prices are depressingly low (for those of us who own them), which is good

Jim

Not for long, give them a few years and see where they are..... I'm saying it will be less than 5 years and people will be saying Shovels are out of reach for the beginner builder.... Like Pans are today....

I remember when pans were a little over a grand for a running bike.....

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

$8.99 patch here Guys ...

( https://www.ebay.ie/itm/HOG-BIKER-EM...item4876021d0b )

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

I'm still trying to find that Panhead patch you posted a few years back

"Your Evo's ok, but I'll take a Panhead anyday"

Comment

• GoodLuckCult
                • Apr 2019

for me, its affordable... and there's still lots of parts out there that people don't think they can retire off of selling one item for a million bucks. like pan and knuckle parts...

Comment

• Hubbard
                  • Dec 2010

Personally I am pleased the younger people are interested in older scooters and it is refreshing to see that you folks are not too fucking lazy to get dirty and try to learn something mechanical instead of devoting your total waking hours to the latest communication device from the orient. Bravo kids, Bravo.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                    • Oct 2016

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Comment

• SamHain
                      • Apr 2024

I feel like they were the last 5-10 years. Now everyone just gets newer bikes.

Comment

• rockman96
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                        Not for long, give them a few years and see where they are..... I'm saying it will be less than 5 years and people will be saying Shovels are out of reach for the beginner builder.... Like Pans are today....

I remember when pans were a little over a grand for a running bike.....
                        Right? It disgusts me and makes me sick to my stomach now, to think of all the pans I walked past 35+ years ago that could have been had for so little money. Lots of the guys I knew back when the evo came out ended up selling their pans and shovels to buy one. I still have my shovel. Wish I could still get one of those pans for the old price though.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Hubbard
                          They are becoming more affordable as their original or second owners die or quit riding. There are still enough old bikers to keep Pan prices high and there were never a lot of Pans by comparison. (Twinkies are the most produced big twin.)

They have classic looks with reasonable reliability (given aggressive use of locknuts and Loctite) and are easy to upgrade.

Comment

• Dragstews
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                            I'm still trying to find that Panhead patch you posted a few years back

"Your Evo's ok, but I'll take a Panhead anyday"
                            I slept since then ... !!

Comment

• Jakerz
                              • Mar 2019

I just bought my first Shovel the other day Now the tear down and rebuild starts lol.

Jake

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;