Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harryj
    • Sep 2010

Triple tree/fork question

Paughco sent me a frame with the wrong neck, the older style with the 7/8" bearings instead of the 1" bearings like on my 2000 Sportster, my donor bike. Is there any way to use my the triple trees I have? Can I change the steering post to the smaller size and use the old style bearing setup? If I have to get different triple trees for the old style bearings will my fork legs fit? What years of bike had the old style bearings? How screwed am I? Anybody want a good deal on a new Paughco hardtail frame?
  • Hubbard
    • Dec 2010

If you have a machine shop close to you, take the frame and the trees you want to use and tell the machinist, make it work.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

Why not send it back and have them supply what you ordered?

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
        Why not send it back and have them supply what you ordered?

Jim
        That's what I was wondering???

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Our Kit consists of a set of steel fork cups, machined to fit a 1957-1981 XL Frame.
          and Billet aluminum dust shields that are machined as spacers to bring the neck to the same length as a big twin neck.

Replaces your stock Ball Bearing Fork cups.

This will allow any stock or aftermarket big twin front ends and springer front ends to be used on a sportster.

Fork Cups are Nickel plated for rust resi

Includes new bearings and races..

$112.00
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• harryj
            • Sep 2010

Thanks for the replies fellas. I figured it would probably be just as cheap to go the conversion bearing route as it would be to ship it back, so I ordered a kit from TC Bros today. They are supposed to let me use my 1" fork stem with the 7/8" neck. We'll see! Again thanks for the responses!

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Conversion cups are proven (and basically just bored out standard cups). They work.

I'd slide the 39mm lower tree into place and see if you want/need a fork stop. If so they're very simple, basically a tab.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                • Sep 2011

Hopefully Paughco is paying for your conversion kit. FUCK that.

Comment

• Skjoll
                  • Oct 2018

Originally posted by brooklynbomber
                  Hopefully Paughco is paying for your conversion kit. FUCK that.
                  Agreed. If it's their screw up then they should cover all costs to make it right.

Comment

• harryj
                    • Sep 2010

Ok, as I've gotten more into this deal, I need to clarify the situation. I bought a Sportster frame from Paughco a few years ago, building from a 2003 donor bike. When I ordered that frame I ordered it with, and it was advertised as having, the OEM neck. When I got the frame everything bolted right on, including all the stock fork & triple tree parts from the 03'. No, problem, great frame, great experience with Paughco. This time I ordered a hardtail frame for the Sportster advertised for use with models up to 2003, which included my 2000 donor bike. It was also advertised as using the OEM neck, so I incorrectly assumed that I would have the same experience as I had with the first Paughco frame. This one has a OEM style neck but I'm not sure what year it was designed for, I just know it's not for the 2000 Sportster. So, I guess this misunderstanding can be blamed on me, not on Paughco. I do believe their information could be much more clear so I could have made better choices, but I also feel like I made my choice based on my earlier experience, thinking I would get a frame built to use all my parts. Anyway, not totally their fault, not totally mine. I'll figure out how w to make this work. Again, thank you for your help!

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Those cup kits posted above are for early Ironhead inside diameter necks so if your new frame takes them it has an early Ironhead style neck tube of the same ID as the early Ironhead neck casting.

Of course late Ironhead and all Evo Sporty frames don't have neck cups, just a simpler neck tube.

I have a wonderful idea to help us help you. POST CLEAR PICS of your frame and neck.

Comment

• Down
                        • Jan 2016

Sportsters from 86- up have 1" necks, right?
                        So if your frame is made to fit an "up to 2003" it sure as hell will not be 7/8" neck.

All Sportsters from 1986-2019 have the same necks.
                        You got an Ironhead frame, and that is a mistake on their part.
                        Last edited by Down; 04-20-2019, 8:56 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Heck with worrying about the front end does his motor fit.........

Comment

• Down
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                            Heck with worrying about the front end does his motor fit.........
                            Exactly! I don't think it will.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                              • Sep 2011

Good point! Time to call them and have them pay for shipping to return that sucker. I would not waste anymore time.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;